.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old September 17th, 2017, 12:19 AM

First Lieutenant

Ts4EVER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Campaign Scenario Setup Help - France

I have thought about it, but part of the appeal is the interactive aspect of it, which would be lost. Not to mention that none of the scenarios have proper win conditions and some have special limitations that are impossible to actually implement.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ts4EVER For This Useful Post:
Old September 17th, 2017, 12:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road

Yup, i was thinking the same thing for a while. I cannot see any effective way for it.

Its 1945... I wonder if you happened to find such dedicated player in the past to finish the campaign with
I am still in awe for all that project. And I still wonder how long does it take you to design one map - there were at least like ~15 designed for this campaign, most of which being considerably big. I am saying this as a guy, who generally dislikes map design. When releasing a scenario, I focus much more on the ORBAT and detailing the background for particular engagements rather than maps.

Of course, if you will like to start a similar campaign after this one is finished - I am still thinking of options - we may experiment a bit. For instance, since I cannot reinforce my troops for longer periods, we may not cut battles to pieces and instead make several huge ones. But this causes a number of troubles, like AI pushing often relentlessly or AI artillery sniping problem.

And just to mention - I am not sure how it will work with my map making, but I may try making some other guy happy with taking designing role of similar project
I am afraid though that I may be less stable than Ts4Ever.
Old September 17th, 2017, 02:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

well, perhaps the map set can be compiled and I can include them with the next upgrade?

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old September 17th, 2017, 02:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

Yup, I have just checked for the record of last message. Ts4EVER is right. We are playing this campaign since September 2013. This gives ~4 years of story.

Pure magic.

Well... let's bring those boys to the end of their journey! Once again going with Forgotten Hope soundtracks (or Blitzkrieg ones), I have deployed my entire tank force, recon force and 1 mech company in order to help besieged Frenchmen.
Sadly, push of the Germans was way too powerful to hold for that long. Probably if it was not winter I could make it on time, but since snow is slowing all movement down by half...
Still, I need to note the merit of last defenders. They managed to cover Bazooka teams for long enough so Bazookas eliminated Jagdpanzer and a Panther tank.

My recon was close to the town, going on full throttle, but Greyhounds literally evaporated, when suddenly a company of Panthers emerged. Under these circumstances I decided to stay in Gerstheim. I also hoped that deploying in ambush will do as Panthers clearly pushed without infantry support.

And I planned a good ambush. With 2 Wolverines. And 3 inch AT gun. And platoon of Shermans that recently got updated (1 Sherman per platoon now has 76mm gun).

Aaaand this could have been legendary, but my luck screwed everything up as usual. German tanks were hit - overally - about 24 times, mostly with tungsten munitions. JUST OVER HALF of the shots were failed non-penetrating ones. Another 3 failed to penetrate since they got bad angle (including rare ability of hitting a tank at 1 degree at the front while it stands clearly to the side). It gave it Abrams level of protection at this bloody angle xD

Finally I succeeded only because Germans decided to push. I have lost 1 Wolverine to Panther fire and 1 Sherman eliminated while scoring 5 Panthers down. Still, this could have been bloodless on my side.

My troops are setting up at Gersheim. I am ready and eager to rape that German brigade. Let them come. I will make Kingdom come for them.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Frenchmen.zip (148.4 KB, 65 views)
Old September 18th, 2017, 10:29 AM

First Lieutenant

I think packing the maps all up would be possible.

And yeah, it has been quite a ride...

Quote:
We ambushed a column of German vehicles near the town entrance of Gersheim and sent them back with a bloody nose this morning. They left behind one Panther, maybe immobilized.
It appears that the Germans are preparing another assault. Luckily that means we had time to shuffle some troops around, although not enough time to dig in properly.

- Deploy your troops
- Defend Gersheim and Krafft
Attached Files
File Type: zip France.zip (70.2 KB, 67 views)
Old September 18th, 2017, 11:58 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Are the maps all the same size or do they vary ? I can set them up all together and ( maybe---possibly ) if someone else might be inspired to build a campaign for them they would all be available......as stated by SAS....not everyone likes building maps....one reason we made the map generator and the advanced cut and paste editor..... so these might be of help to someone else

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old September 18th, 2017, 06:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

OK, here is what happened:

I decided to deploy 1 & 2 Cie in Gersheim for a powerful stand. They got in fact all AT assets and great most of tank company both in and around the town.

And they held out well, though Raks hit very hard in the beginning, killing about 20 men alone (!) from that one fire mission.

Germans advanced with reinforced armour company of various vehicles and with force of at least 2 companies, one of which being gepanzert. But that was not enough. Tanks were drawn close and engaged from 76mm of all kinds. 8x M2 MGs were ready to welcome infantry that was mercilessly cut in the open. Sniper wasted all the ammo taking out targets and - after a long break - my FO was directly on front, seeing combat entire.

The push was powerful, but stopped just outside the town. All Panthers went down and a couple of other vehicles with relatively low casualties on my side. There are 3 painful losses: second Wolverine is down, as well as 1 76mm AT gun and 1 57mm AT gun. All those diminish my AT capabilities badly. But I believe Germans will rethink what they do next.

My orders: immediately fix that immobilized tank in the southern part of the town (I want to fix it - it got slightly damaged from aerial fire) and I am calling in divisional HQ for some additional trucks as enemy artillery is causing me casualties among those. Would be nice to get some new cheap 2 1/2 tons should I eventually make a step back (what I do not plan at the moment).

I want my mean to clean stragglers and remount previous positions with an option to slightly extend defences (put deployment line about 200 metres further from the town if possible).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Frenchmen.zip (146.6 KB, 68 views)
Old September 19th, 2017, 01:16 AM

First Lieutenant

The maps have different formats. We actually had a big variety of mapstyles: Western European rural areas, both in summer and snow, mediterranean rough terrain, desert, muddy fields, even jungle at one point... only thing that was missing really was a major urban operation.

Quote:
As darkness fell over the battlefield, it became clear that the German attack had failed. During the night we intend to do some raiding, in order to deny the no-mans land to the enemy, giving us some breathing space, and to investigate two broken down Panthers that were left behind.

- Deploy your troops
- Designate one platoon of infantry or scouts as a raiding force
- Only the raiding force may move
- Secure the two Panthers
Attached Files
File Type: zip France.zip (70.1 KB, 71 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ts4EVER For This Useful Post:
Old September 21st, 2017, 09:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

I decided to deploy Cne. Corneauds' platoon (1/1 Cie) for that patrol job. This is one of the most experienced units of mine, with Corneaud having mighty 102 experience and 95 morale (1940 veteran) with other squads not going under 90 exp.

But I expected some trouble, so I decided to attack one section of my recon platoon (2x eclaireurs who were in reserve) and my battalion sniper. That was a good move, as Germans apparently did the same with scouts and MGs.

Panthers seemed to be abandoned. I ran into German reinforced platoon patrol and eliminated it with 7 casualties on my side and 28 on the German one. At the end of patrol, I help the plain.

That was a good job in there.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Frenchmen.zip (120.2 KB, 62 views)
Old September 22nd, 2017, 10:07 AM

First Lieutenant

Ok, next.

Quote:
We inspected the Panthers and concluded that one was too damaged to salvage. We towed the other one away and restored it to running condition, although its ammo has been partly expended.

The Germans have retreated back to Obenheim and according to our scouts they put up wire obstacles and dug foxholes to defend it. We attack tomorrow, so no time to reinforce. Artillery and planes will be available.

- Deploy your troops
- Recapture the ruins of Obenheim
Attached Files
File Type: zip France.zip (66.7 KB, 78 views)