Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old September 6th, 2011, 09:43 AM

Private

veneficus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Windows Vista and Windows Seven Installation

Was hoping somebody can offer some advice.

I recently upgraded to windows 7. (that is to say could not reinstall xp)

Attempting to reinstall the CD version of winSPWWII.

All goes well until the 3rd patch or so when i keep getting an error message that the patch did not install properly.

When attempting to run the game, it just crashes to desktop.

So I attempted to uninstall and reinstall again. Got several error messages that patches could not be uninstalled.

When reinstalling in different directory after that, I keep getting the "file did not install properly" message again.

Any advice?
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:48 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,216 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by veneficus View Post
Was hoping somebody can offer some advice.

I recently upgraded to windows 7. (that is to say could not reinstall xp)

Attempting to reinstall the CD version of winSPWWII.

All goes well until the 3rd patch or so when i keep getting an error message that the patch did not install properly.

When attempting to run the game, it just crashes to desktop.

So I attempted to uninstall and reinstall again. Got several error messages that patches could not be uninstalled.

When reinstalling in different directory after that, I keep getting the "file did not install properly" message again.

Any advice?
The uninstaller does not work under vista/windows 7. Another thing broken by Microsoft it appears.

To uninstall - simply manually delete the game folder. Then delete the short-cuts on the desktop, and in the programme list. There are no registry entries to worry about.

The only thing I can think of that would cause any patch to complain is that you have a corrupt copy. Either the file was corrupted during the download from the shrapnel server, or the disk copy has become so (if it is an old copy you had lying around on your own media).

So I would suggest trying a complete disk test/repair (including possibly a test for corrupted surface sectors - a long process, so leave to run overnight) and then after that is done re-download all the patches from the shrapnel server and try again.

But firstly, I would re-download the patch that failed from the known good copy on the shrapnel server and try again. (maybe download it to a different place on the disk this time). That might then work if the download had produced a borked file due to a bad connection or storing it on a corrupted disk sector, and will save the pain of a disk surface test.

Cheers
Andy
Old September 12th, 2011, 03:45 PM

Private

veneficus is on a distinguished road

Andy,

thanks for your help

I found the problem and solution.

Apparently there is some draconian antialtering software in windows 7.

The solution is to right click on the selected file, in this case the patch files and select "run as administrator" otherwise, the OS will not permit the alterations to take place.
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:12 PM

Sergeant

RVPERTVS is on a distinguished road

Hi, just coming back after a long absence, Im going to improve my desktop PC bot Im not sure if improving to win7 or just sticking with xp, does the game works well with win7 Home Basic 64bits? Feels good to be back!

Thanks in advance
Regards
R
Old November 11th, 2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPERTVS View Post
Hi, just coming back after a long absence, Im going to improve my desktop PC bot Im not sure if improving to win7 or just sticking with xp, does the game works well with win7 Home Basic 64bits? Feels good to be back!

Thanks in advance
Regards
R
I'm not sure about the 'basic' edition - that is the cut down one without Aero interface and a few other things missing, for notebooks etc?.

Nobody has said that version does not work - or even has mentioned it at all.

My desktop XP box will shortly be replaced by a Windows 7 box. I have XP running on my Windows 7 laptop ATM, in a virtual machine and the game also works fine under that mode too, but mainly the virtual machine will allow the use of older development tools that simply don't work under 7 (like Borland C++ builder, Delphi etc).

Only the "Pro" version of 7 has the XP virtual machine mode, but VMWare have a free edition that does what is needed for non-pro versions
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11060...ons-and-vista/

I downloaded that, and then found my old XP installation disk and then spent a really fun morning installing XP to the virtual machine and installing a squillion updates restarts etc....

Once I had the virtual machine all happy and working, I then copied that to another image (its just a set of files after all!) and then installed some stuff on that new image, and renamed it "development". Thus the original is saved off as a pure install of just XP with nothing else added, and can be copied from as needed in the future without any need to do the entire painful installation process ever again.

VMware was a painless process (bar installing XP)and it installed its own virtual drivers etc automagically so the virtual XP machine session could talk to the Internet and use my wireless network. The only fiddly bit is setting up a shared drive that the virtual machine and windows 7 can both see, if you have a need to transfer files from XP<->7.

Once you have a Vmware virtual XP machine set up as a set of files, you can copy that and make new XP machines for new purposes as needed, copy the files to another machine with VMWare on it and mount it, etc. I am really liking the virtualisation thing, and if it works OK for the development side then I will probably purchase the full programme, as that gives a few extra things that a developer may find he needs.

For a "casual" Windows 7 user, setting up a virtual XP machine is a good way to play the game full-screen without the hassles that 7 introduces. Play it in the virtual sandbox, and swap back and forth as needed!. All you need is your original XP CD, the keys to it (that took some finding, it was on a label on the dell, not on the XP system CD! - it is now printed in ink on my CD sleeve!), and the VMWare free edition. (It may also be an answer for playing other older games that 7 does not like)
Old November 18th, 2012, 01:08 AM

Sergeant

Phew! that´s what I call a creative solution thanks a lot for your fine reply!

Im sticking with xp pro32 (core2D) for the moment, got a nice deal off ebay but in the future I guess will inevitably end up with win7 following your advice, glad to know about this walkaround!

Is there any know problem with the game running on dual core?

Thanks in advance
R
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:44 AM

No problems in dual core - my windows 7 laptop is such.

Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old December 22nd, 2012, 12:45 AM

Sergeant

I got an email about the new installer for win7, I assume it will work for win 7 and xp alike? As I understand it´s the same thing, but the new one recognizes when win7 is installed and performs the win7 installation fix automatically?

I was thrilled when I saw the consolidated patch ready for download! I was expecting that one until spring, it´s indeed a great Christmas present

Thanks in advance and merry Christmas to all.

Regards
Old December 22nd, 2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPERTVS View Post
I got an email about the new installer for win7, I assume it will work for win 7 and xp alike? As I understand it´s the same thing, but the new one recognizes when win7 is installed and performs the win7 installation fix automatically?

I was thrilled when I saw the consolidated patch ready for download! I was expecting that one until spring, it´s indeed a great Christmas present

Thanks in advance and merry Christmas to all.

Regards
You already experienced the new installer with the last incremental patch - previous ones were built with the old model. Consolidated patch is of course fully built with the new model install maker.

The consolidated patch is the main thing - as it saves several separate downloads and installs. But nothing new otherwise if you have already patched up using the old incrementals which it replaces.

All new initial seed images, and the consolidation patch also are also now re-pathed by default to a windows 7 friendly one, as described in the installing to Visa/Seven sticky. That should help the folks that don't read the destructions! ...

New patch is TBD in the new year/spring whatever, as usual.

Andy
Old December 24th, 2012, 08:43 PM

Sergeant

Thanks Andy,

I haven´t installed it yet because I have the game already patched and working on xp, though a new win7 laptop is on it´s way as Christmas present so I'm planning to run it in a few days.

If I understand correctly (please bear with my programming ignorance) my old CDv installler will remain as it is, so if installing under win7 I can use the default path and this new consolidated patch will re-path the game in order to work properly? I won´t need to follow the win7 thread instructions or anything just click install on my old cd version installer and add this consolidated patch?

I remember there was an issue running the game in full screen (my favorite mode) under win7, was this issue addressed as well?

Thanks again