This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:24 PM

Corporal

PvtJoker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Minimal range for indirect artillery fire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
Are not the 7.5 IG's for only direct fire infrantry support?
The two German infantry guns - the 15cm and the 7,5cm were used in much the same way as mortars would later be. Their design was based on WWI experience with mortars - "Minenewerfer" - and the two guns were called Minenwerfer early on in their development.
It may be prudent to explain here that the WW1 German Minenwerfer were breech loaded and rifled unlike modern Stokes-Brandt type mortars, which are muzzle loaded, smooth-bore and fire fin-stabilized projectiles. So, while the Germans adopted the 81mm Brandt type mortar (Granatwerfer in 1930s German nomenclature*, meaning grenade thrower), they didn't abandon the Minenwerfer principle completely.

* After WW2 Germans started to call Brandt type weapons Mörser (i.e. mortars), which at one time was reserved for heavier siege artillery pieces. Although by Anglo-Saxon usage most WW1 heavy Mörser such as the famous Big Bertha were actually short-barreled howitzers. Confused yet?
The Following User Says Thank You to PvtJoker For This Useful Post:
Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:45 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Minimal range for indirect artillery fire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
Are not the 7.5 IG's for only direct fire infrantry support?
The two German infantry guns - the 15cm and the 7,5cm were used in much the same way as mortars would later be. Their design was based on WWI experience with mortars - "Minenewerfer" - and the two guns were called Minenwerfer early on in their development.

They differed from howitzers by having a very high elevation, about 75 degrees. I dont know what the shortest range was, but it cannot have been much. The smallest charge gave the 7,5cm a max. range of 800 meters and fired the round at a whooping 92 m/s. Max. range with the largest charge firing HE at 210 m/s was 3375 meters.

The 15cm gun reached 1475 meters max. with the smallest charge and 4700 meters with the largest.
To clarify myself,I was asking from the perpective.. "as it is in the game"
I undertand that there will be special varinces in history,i'm just a gamer,not a historian

One thing i might add or caution others,don't buy those IG's if you plan to use them for bombard,they are direct-fire arty..italians have alot of them.