Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old August 21st, 2013, 04:20 AM

Private

PKH is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestion for more options

While I'm making suggestions, can something be done with the hex grid. The edges are clearly rendered twice using different vertices, and don't overlap correctly leaving gaps. This has been the case since the first game. Second, an option for a transparent grid would be nice.
Old August 21st, 2013, 05:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

I understand what you mean by this but it has never bothered me ( and if it did I would have fixed it ) and it's taken 15 years for it to bother anyone to the point they would mention it. ( you are the first one....) The only real way it can be seen is if you are running the game 480x640 zoomed in the the max. The problem is the angle of the top and bottom hex side cannot be made to match up exactly top and bottom at the master level ( level 4 ) so they join seamlessly. If you find the solution to that so that one hex outline Icon can be recreated hundreds of times and all match perfectly, let me know. That said I will note this down for further study

I would also like to know what you consider a "transparent grid" and then explain why it would be nice and explain how that might be possible with a 256 colour palette that contains one colour that the game shows as transparent but all that would do is create the same effect as turning the grid off which is already an option.

Don

Last edited by DRG; August 21st, 2013 at 06:06 PM..
Old August 21st, 2013, 06:17 PM

Private

The split edges are visible even on high resolutions when zoomed in. I just think it looks sloppy, and I've noticed it since the first steel panthers game.

I would like a transparent grid because I find the current one has too high contrast, and it reduces immersion for me. I prefer playing without a grid, but I find it necessary to have it on a lot of the time. If it can't be done because of the games limited colors I understand that.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 02:23 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I could still not fire myself without getting reaction/op fire from all enemy units in range. So the best strategy in defense is to do nothing a lot of the time, and instead rely on reaction fire in the opponents turn.
I don't end up doing this very often or doing much micro managing with the Y key on ranges.
If you are heavily outnumbered not firing the odd unit is sometimes better but good use of smoke or the dust from artillery & other fires means you can normally get local superiority at least against the AI.
So most turns its all guns blazing with the exception of any units you think are still undiscovered & don't want to give away their positions.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 03:29 AM

Private

Something which could be done regarding the grid, which I've seen on other grid based maps, is only rendering the corners of the grid instead of the whole edge, or rendering just a point in the center of each hex. It gives the same information but is less visible.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:39 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The "problem" here is that this is your issue and your issue alone.

Nobody... and I mean NOBODY has brought this up before in the 15 years we've been doing this so I'm going to put this out as a question to anyone reading this thread..... do you find the existing hex grid obtrusive to your gaming experience ??

Don
Old August 23rd, 2013, 10:54 AM

Private

I can only make suggestions based on my own preferences. I don't have any expectations that anything will happen because of it, but at least I've made my thoughts known.
Old August 26th, 2013, 04:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
The "problem" here is that this is your issue and your issue alone.

Nobody... and I mean NOBODY has brought this up before in the 15 years we've been doing this so I'm going to put this out as a question to anyone reading this thread..... do you find the existing hex grid obtrusive to your gaming experience ??

Don
Nope, not me. If anybody doesn't like the grid, just turn it OFF .
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:26 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

We are looking at allowing as an option one of the first ten "colours" of the game palette to be chosen for people who own the game. They are all gray-scale so the range would run from full black as default to light gray. I have experimented with those tones in the code and have found that , depending on the map type and terrain ( and your monitor and the condition of your eyes... etc ) , can produce more subtle grid lines that are still there but not BOLDLY THERE. We haven't delved into it beyond a basic test or two but we are thinking it would be offered as a secondary option for the grid on/off hot key. With a choice of 10 tones there would be something for everyone.

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:50 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
We are looking at allowing as an option one of the first ten "colours" of the game palette to be chosen for people who own the game. They are all gray-scale so the range would run from full black as default to light gray. I have experimented with those tones in the code and have found that , depending on the map type and terrain ( and your monitor and the condition of your eyes... etc ) , can produce more subtle grid lines that are still there but not BOLDLY THERE. We haven't delved into it beyond a basic test or two but we are thinking it would be offered as a secondary option for the grid on/off hot key. With a choice of 10 tones there would be something for everyone.
I like the sound of that! - I tend to play with the grid off because I DO find it a little too "boldly there". Obviously not a massively high priority fix but a definate "it-would-be-nice-if".