World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old March 21st, 2017, 03:34 PM

Private

Viking John is on a distinguished road
Default Questions

Hello

1. I have noticed that my helicopters will cover each other , when one is moving and takes fire from a spotted enemy or even if the enemy just changes its facing to face the moving helicopter the other ones around will fire at enemy unit. My Question is Why don't the Infantry and vehicals do the same thing ?

2. I have had CD version since ,, well lets just say I remember when having enginers allowed you to place mines and dig in your troops during game . I have really never used the over watch setting much , and never seen any thing happen when I did . Question is Does anyone use it and what does it really do ( how it works )

I have lots of questions , but lets start with these
Old March 21st, 2017, 04:17 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Questions

1) Ground units do react - e.g. to a failed close assault. Tanks will beat up on infantry revealing themselves. Cant say I have seen helos popping off at random though.

2) Engineers have never dug in your troops or laid mines in these games. You are likely thinking about another game developed by different folks?.

2.1) The overwatch feature is sometimes useful if you only want to fire at say the exit from a town. Place the hex where the road exits, set the distance to a small circle, and then ensure you reduce the regular opfire distance for the overwatching unit!. The overwatched circle must be outside the main opfire range measured round the firer to be useful. Otherwise the primary opfire circle will naturally take precedence.
Old March 21st, 2017, 05:31 PM

Private

1. when I play us vs VC ,, my helicopters will fire at enemy troops who shoot at moving Helo's , but when I am moving my infantry up and enemy unit fires at them none of their platton units shoot back even though they are in range and have a line of sight , I have to take control of the units and do it myself. I like the way the helo's respond to cover each other without me having to do it

It was either MBT or WW2 one In fact I think it was the WW2 I bought both CD versions at same time but had the WW2 one free for awhile to test it and played that one more,, I remember opening the unit window and clicking on place mines for enginers ,, only other game I ever had like this was the original SSI Steel Panthers , well computer game like this I played the Avolon Hill game Squad leader game back in mid 70's.

I sort of remember the reason it was changed was because of the limited time, really wasn't realistic to allow for mines to be placed 2 min per turn ,, back then most games where under 30 turns even when playing random campaign.
Old March 21st, 2017, 05:40 PM

Private

I thought setting over watch hex would let your unit fire at any enemy inside that area that shoots at your moving troops ,, is that not the reason for a over watch to cover and suppress enemy while some of your units advance ? If it worked like that it would be real useful to set up units on over watch.
Old March 21st, 2017, 06:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking John View Post

It was either MBT or WW2 one In fact I think it was the WW2 I bought both CD versions at same time but had the WW2 one free for awhile to test it and played that one more,, I remember opening the unit window and clicking on place mines for enginers ,, only other game I ever had like this was the original SSI Steel Panthers , well computer game like this I played the Avolon Hill game Squad leader game back in mid 70's.

I sort of remember the reason it was changed was because of the limited time, really wasn't realistic to allow for mines to be placed 2 min per turn ,, back then most games where under 30 turns even when playing random campaign.

As Andy said, we have NEVER allowed engineers to place mines for all the reasons you mentioned

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old March 21st, 2017, 07:50 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I thought setting over watch hex would let your unit fire at any enemy inside that area that shoots at your moving troops ,, is that not the reason for a over watch to cover and suppress enemy while some of your units advance ? If it worked like that it would be real useful to set up units on over watch.
It is just an area that the normal reaction fire to enemy movement or firing happens in, that you can place outside the normal circle round your unit.

So select the hex and the radius round it at some point of interest, and set the normal opfire circle round the firing unit smaller.

It has its uses, mainly for scenario designers I would think (for setting up ambushes). I may have used it in normal game play once in a year or so.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old March 23rd, 2017, 10:06 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Confused Re: Questions

Quote:
1. when I play us vs VC ,, my helicopters will fire at enemy troops who shoot at moving Helo's , but when I am moving my infantry up and enemy unit fires at them none of their platton units shoot back even though they are in range and have a line of sight , I have to take control of the units and do it myself. I like the way the helo's respond to cover each other without me having to do it
I don't see the answer to Viking John's question here. If this feature is implemented in the current game, how is it turned on?

=====
Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:14 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

You have full control of your infantry during your move. If we did it any other way we'd get complaints your units were firing at targets you didn't choose to fire at.....but we get complaints no matter what we do.

Heleo will, on occasion, provide covering fire for another helo and it's been that way AFAIK, for years. So it's not a " feature" you turn on an off. It's the way it's coded..be happy they do that

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:24 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Questions

Oh, I like the helo cover fire. Great feature.

If we had a poll, I'd put my john henry down for squads covering each other by platoon (in the game, squads within a formation). Infantry.

=====
Old March 24th, 2017, 01:09 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Helos pretecting each other is a feature & works well for that type of unit, also easy to stop if you dont want it by using the Y key & adjusting range.
Getting a shot of before the ATGM is also a good feature they are disruption shots due to flight time or birds eye view of the target.
For the game as a whole not a good idea, you might want to just place smoke, pull back etc & how would you implement it?
Squad takes fire
3 of yours go to perform "protective" fire.
First one goes to take its shot & 3 AI units now should be able to take protective fire at the firing unit.