.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old November 22nd, 2008, 05:11 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default DAR: Bou Arada - Tunisia

Germany vs. GB

Mission: Delay, Bou Arada, Tunisia, 1/1943 - grouped objectives.

Enemy: Division(-) - 1 Armor Bde., 1 Infantry Bde., 1-3 Artillery Rgts., AAA and possible air support. Average force experience, ~75.

Terrain: Map = 100x100; German deployment zone dominated by one large double peaked hill. Peaks are elevation 60 and oriented North-South. There is one ridge in the enemy area of little consequence. Engagement area is mainly flat, with no cover or concealment. There are a number of tilled areas and depressions, but aren't expected to influence the battle. There are also two roads. One North-South road 300m West of German deployment line. This should not be a factor since it is East of the large hill. The other road extents from the East edge of the map to the WSW passing 200m South of the Southern peak of the large hill before generally turning West. Visibility = 40.

Troops: 1 Armor Co. (PzKw IVg, 1 immobilized w/1 crew casualty), 2 Infantry Co. (SS w/tracks), 11 Artillery Btry (On board, 9 tubes SPA, 1 immobilized, 1 2pts damage), 2 Heavy Tank Pltn (PzKw VIe, 1 immobilized), 4 ATG Btry. (2x 75mm PAK 40 Btry w/tracks; 2x 50mm PAK 38 Btry, no tracks)), 5 MG Pltn (MG42(2), 2 w/tracks), plus recon, AAA and ammo supply. Average force experience, ~95.

Note: This is a battle without refit!!

Time: 39 Turns

Analysis

I wasn't going to put another DAR out so quickly, but decided to do this one because it's going to be a good old fashioned Donnie Brook. All Delays turn out that way. The advancing force outnumbers the delaying force 2 to 1 on points spent. Odds on a Defend aren't much worse, but you can buy obstacles to slow the attacker. That means a larger number of enemy units can close the distance very quickly along a broad front. The delaying force must destroy advancing units as quickly and efficiently as possible. Ammo can't be wasted on targets where there is a low probability of getting a kill. The enemy will come with large numbers of recon units, tanks w/mounted infantry and support with lots and lots of artillery.

All that said, key to the defensive position is the large, double peaked hill. It allows high visibility and the opportunity for plunging shots. The North peak is larger, but the South peak is more critical since it's covers the East-West road crossing the map. Many enemy units will push up this road very quickly. The North peak is close to the edge of the map so any enemy units advancing along it will be easily dealt with from there. The objectives are in groups forward of this hill, but the terrain allows them to be covered by fire easily. The close proximity of both peaks with each other will allow for easy shifting of forces from one to the other as needed.

Plan

Defenses will be layered using multiple lines of defense. The first line will be composed of machine gun teams. This tends to focus enemy artillery up front. They can easily spread out and keep enemy infantry at a distance because they will start bailing off of tanks as the heavies start taking hits. There is no real cover short of some depressions, so they will set up along the deployment line.

The second line of defense will be on the North-South road and will be held by two infantry companies. There is a depression West of the road on the Northern part of the map, so a couple of platoons will deploy in there and wait in ambush for any enemy units that blunder into them. The rest will have to deploy along the road in the open.

ATGs will be placed on the forward slope of the hill behind the infantry. The 50mm ATGs will engage enemy recon units and tanks they can destroy, while the 75mm ATGs will target tanks.

On the hill, armor units will deploy on the peaks and 50 elevation level. Two platoons of mark IVgs and one platoon of Tigers will deploy on and around the South peak since they will have to cover both the road and the South edge of the map. The remaining tanks will be deployed on the Northern peak. There will be no reserve as it will be necessary to have as many guns on line as possible. Shifts will occur as necessary. Tigers will NOT engage armored cars and recon units until the battle is under control. No point putting an 88mm round through an AC and leave a 50mm ATG to try to deal with Valentine IX tanks.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 06:57 PM

Captain

Default Re: DAR: Bou Arada - Tunisia

I've attached the save file for the set-up for this battle. It's pretty much as I had mentioned earlier, but the hill is a larger than I thought, so I put one tank platoon in the saddle between the two hills. They can shift as needed. My immobilized tanks are on the Northern peak since I think that is a safer place for them.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Saved Games.zip (678.4 KB, 249 views)
Old November 22nd, 2008, 07:43 PM

Captain

Turn 1

Enemy prep fire hit part of the infantry line and one of the 75mm ATGs. The gun crew is running. Some infantry is running as well. They will get back online once the enemy artillery lets up. Estimated 16 enemy troops fired. That's 64 tubes! All of it was 5.5in or 25pdr stuff. I've seen a lot worse before, but I did suffer casualties.

The number of enemy vehicles approaching is 150+, most of which are tanks. They have most types in their inventory coming: Lee I, Sherman I, Sherman II, Valentine IX. There are a few recon units, truck and half-tracks, but their total number doesn't exceed 20. I've also dealt with larger numbers of attacking tanks as well, but they are going more with quality than quantity this time. They are approaching in two groups. About 90% are in a mass heading toward the North peak of my defensive hill. The rest are along the South edge of the map. Oddly enough, none are on the road at all

I'll give it a turn or two and may shift the one platoon of Tigers on the South peak to the Northern one. My 9 tubes of artillery are plotted in the path of the large group approaching. No kills are expected, but it should cause infantry to dismount. Maybe I'll get lucky with a shot or two and immobilize some.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 10 casualties.

Enemy: Zero.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 07:58 PM

Captain

Turn 2

The enemy drop smoke with a couple more artillery troops. Those should be additional troops, because the other just ended firing live HE on turn 1. They couldn't have replotted and started dropping smoke in one turn.

Tanks on North peak opened up and destroyed a couple of armored cars. My artillery is having the desired effect by causing a couple of platoons to have to walk the rest of the way. Arty even nailed a truck and damaged a Sherman II with a top hit A new type can be added to the list of tanks seen: Churchill Oke.

The gap between the two forces is still there. If I can take out the small group down South, I have a maneuver option against the North group's flank. It's funny to think about, maneuvering a couple platoons of tanks against the flank of an oncoming brigade

Casualties

Friendly: Zero.

Enemy: Two Mrmn-Hrngtn III armored cars destroyed, one Morris 15cwt truck destroyed, estimated 10 casualties.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 08:56 PM

Captain

Turn 3

MG-42s opened up and destroyed five advancing trucks. They also engaged some infantry that dismounted from some tracks that have already run up to my machinegun line. One mark IVg destroyed a couple of scout cars. Artillery hit the advancing mass again, hitting some more tanks forcing infantry dismounts. Now visible are some Crusader AA mk1 tanks. No matter, I don't have air support. The number of enemy tanks appears to be increasing. At this point, estimate the number of approaching vehicles at 200+. Smoke is obsuring some of the battlefield, so there is no way to be sure.

I've attached a screen print of what I see attacking. Some I can't see because of smoke. There are so many, the screen print is zoomed out. I have a total of 35 tank killing guns. While I don't really like to allow too much opfire because it wastes ammo, it's necessary in this case. Forces like this can't be stopped by just firing on my half of the turn.

Casualties

Enemy: Two Morris 15cwt and three 1&1/2 Ton trucks destroyed, two Daimler Dingos destroyed, estimated 15 casualties.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	British Tanks - Turn 3.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	7307  
Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:05 PM

Captain

Turn 4

MG-42s, ATGs, infantry, artillery, recon tracks and a few tanks engaged the approaching enemy forces inflicting heavy casualties. Still, it seems like just a scratch on the mass advancing in the North. Basically, I am using just about everything in my inventory. Most of the enemy tanks are beyond the engagement range of my tanks as of yet, however. That will change soon.

The Southern force might be larger than initial observations indicate. They seem to be more drawn out in length than anything. It could be in the range of 30 tanks. Still much smaller than the Northern group, but can't be ignored.

A few enemy mortars dropped smoke. The rest of their artillery is quiet at the moment. That will change soon.

Casualties

Enemy: Four halftracks, two Bren Carriers, two Daimler Dingos, two Daimler A/Cs, one Lee I tank and two Sherman II tanks destroyed, estimated 40 casualties.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:33 PM

Captain

Turn 5

Most fire against the North group was from ATGs, MG-42s and artillery. The tanks are set to engage at 1500m to try to preserve ammo. Many enemy tanks are probably within that range, but smoke is blocking the LOS. Walking artillery with the group as they advance to keep them suppressed and dismount infantry. One Churchill Oke was immobilized by the artillery.

The Southern group lost a few tanks this turn. At this point, it's tough enough to keep track of what has been kill, much less who kill what where.

Still no enemy artillery.

Casualties

Enemy: Seven halftracks, one Bren Carriers, one Morris 15cwt truck, two Lee I tanks, three Sherman I tanks and two Sherman II tanks destroyed, estimated 30 casualties.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 10:12 PM

Captain

Turn 6

Air Strikes!!! Luckily, there doesn't appear to have been any damage. They targeted one of my PzKw IVgs. The enemy is applying heavy pressure on the left edge of my line. It's anchored on the map edge, but a line of burning half-tracks are blocking the LOS of my tanks. The MG-42 teams in this area are pulling back. My infantry is waiting in ambush in a depression to their rear. Things in that area could get messy soon.

Most of the advancing tanks in the Southern sector are also screened by burning vehicles. There is a small depression along the South edge occupied by scouts and recon tracks. Another ambush, but a weak one. The 37mm on the recon tracks will only be effective at almost point blank range.

The number of enemy tanks being destroyed is increasing, but not fast enough

Enemy artillery is coming in near a few tanks, so those will relocate. They are trying to target some of the MG-42s as well.

Casualties

Enemy: Two halftracks, two Lee I tanks, five Sherman I tanks and three Sherman II tanks destroyed, estimated 45 casualties.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Flank - Turn 7.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	7308  
Old November 22nd, 2008, 11:05 PM

Captain

Turn 7

More Air Strikes!!!!! They targeted the same tank again. Guess he really offended someone. At least the enemy targeting skills need work. He's still intact.

The pressure on the left flank is increasing. My MG-42 teams are still pulling back and taking some casualties on the process. They need a little distance between them and the burning enemy units because they aren't good at close assault. The enemy tanks are starting to pop out of the smoke and taking more damage. Unfortunately, they have plenty of tanks to spare. I can't really tell how many tanks they have behind the smoke anymore, not that it matters.

More enemy tanks are popping out of the smoke. Things on the right flank are well under control, but I wish the enemy units were all destroyed. The left flank needs more guns.

Enemy artillery is more accurately targeting my tanks, ATGs and infantry. The tanks can move and to a limited extent, so can the infantry, but the guns are stuck. Not much I can do about it. One troop of enemy 5.5in howitzers have been spotted on board. The question is do I target them or keep the firing at the advancing enemy. At this point, I'll keep after the biggest threat. Eliminating one enemy troop would only leave 15 left

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 10 casaulties.

Enemy: Four Lee I tanks, three Sherman I tanks, eight Sherman II tanks, one Sherman III tank and one Valentine IX destroyed, estimated 30 casualties.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 11:42 PM

Captain

Turn 8

The enemy tanks are pushing for a gap created in my infantry in the depression by their artillery. They have been pounding one area and a couple of squads there have bolted. I may start shifting troops North along the road to reinforce the left flank. Tanks and ATGs are still taking a toll on the enemy tanks, however. I'm going to have to check the ammo to see if I can rotate a few off for resupply. Enemy artillery has forced the crews of several ATGs to run.

My tanks on the Southern flank have shifted. One platoon of PzKw IVgs is moving Northeast to engage the enemy pressuring the Northern peak. The three Tigers are heading Southeast to finish off the South edge column. Once complete and ammo permitting, they will turn North and start chewing on the enemy's Northern group flank.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 15 casualties.

Enemy: Three Lee I tanks, nine Sherman I tanks, seven Sherman II tanks, one Sherman III tank and four Valentine IX destroyed, estimated 25 casualties.