BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old April 5th, 2019, 07:47 AM

Corporal

PantherCub is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WinSPWW2 V12 ( 2019 ) Upgrade

I always thought Z fire was too generous, something of a gamey exploit, especially as infantry ammo is effectively unlimited in the game, and I never used it much. I think it is a good thing that Z-fire seems to have been nerfed.
The Following User Says Thank You to PantherCub For This Useful Post:
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:40 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: WinSPWW2 V12 ( 2019 ) Upgrade

Not nerfed......it HAD BEEN nerfed up until this release and the reason it stayed that way so long is neither Andy nor I use it much, if at all, and never to the extreme players had been complaining some PMEM opponents used it and certainly not as SOP gameplay to the extent it would appear it had been used by some players. The most I have ever used it was playing a scenario where I had no arty and a horde of attackers to deal with and I only played that scenario AFTER we had made the change to the code to bring Z-Fire back to what it was intended to do.

Once we started digging into the complaint that it was being used as a short-cut cheat to circumvent the arty countdown that's when Andy realized, and I confirmed, it could reach into places beyond the original intent of Z-fire which was to lay down a fire to the limit of your range but NOT through objects or terrain that would normally block fire so now if the visibility is 1 but your MMG has a range of 24 you can Z-fire out to 24 hexes IF there is nothing blocking those 24 hexes so not though/over terrain that would have blocked LOS if the visibility had been 24 which was the original intent of the feature so this change corrected a problem that had existed for a number of years.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; April 5th, 2019 at 08:50 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old April 5th, 2019, 10:10 AM

Sergeant

Oche is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Not nerfed......it HAD BEEN nerfed up until this release and the reason it stayed that way so long is neither Andy nor I use it much, if at all, and never to the extreme players had been complaining some PMEM opponents used it and certainly not as SOP gameplay to the extent it would appear it had been used by some players. The most I have ever used it was playing a scenario where I had no arty and a horde of attackers to deal with and I only played that scenario AFTER we had made the change to the code to bring Z-Fire back to what it was intended to do.

Once we started digging into the complaint that it was being used as a short-cut cheat to circumvent the arty countdown that's when Andy realized, and I confirmed, it could reach into places beyond the original intent of Z-fire which was to lay down a fire to the limit of your range but NOT through objects or terrain that would normally block fire so now if the visibility is 1 but your MMG has a range of 24 you can Z-fire out to 24 hexes IF there is nothing blocking those 24 hexes so not though/over terrain that would have blocked LOS if the visibility had been 24 which was the original intent of the feature so this change corrected a problem that had existed for a number of years.
I'm still amazed to see the constant gripes against the Z-fire in PBEM. i must admit it did annoy me a bit in the past specifically and exclusively when an opponent uses Z-fire for recon, which is somewhat unorthodox but as history has shown anything can go on the battlefield from flinging corpses heads, dead animals, flaming pigs, greek fire, whatever means to disrupt opposing force. I myself use it sometimes against suspected hexes from which receiving hidden fire in order to attempt to 'reveal' enemy unit, and also sometimes thru enemy popped or artillery layed screening smoke stacks blocking my units LOS. Whatever the reasons are in favor or against Z fire in the game engine thru the years ever since the 90s in Steel Panthers 1 & 2, i think it should not be removed entirely.
Old April 5th, 2019, 01:37 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road

You have to know how to live with fire z . Or die. Now I use it a lot and against AI in forests or cities. The suppression fire must exist at my discretion. But you also have to see it as an element that is in the game and you have to know how to use it and counteract it. It is as if in real life someone invents a superweapon and the enemies will tell him, hey !! do not throw me with that ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Roman For This Useful Post:
Old April 5th, 2019, 03:15 PM

Sergeant

Oche is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
You have to know how to live with fire z . Or die. Now I use it a lot and against AI in forests or cities. The suppression fire must exist at my discretion. But you also have to see it as an element that is in the game and you have to know how to use it and counteract it. It is as if in real life someone invents a superweapon and the enemies will tell him, hey !! do not throw me with that ...
Couldn't agree more
Old April 6th, 2019, 12:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Holy smoke! King of the Hill (#587) has been resurrected! Thanks for this and everything else Mr. Lazov!
The Following User Says Thank You to jivemi For This Useful Post:
Old April 7th, 2019, 04:35 AM

BANNED USER

Kiwikkiwik is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much for all your brilliant work developing this game. Make sure you enjoy your we'll earned rest. thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiwikkiwik For This Useful Post: