This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old July 15th, 2006, 10:29 AM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Premiere Night - SciFi

Stargate and (to a lesser extent Galactica) is the retirement home for scifi actors. I'm waiting for Brent Spiner to show up on Caprica as the inventor of the Cylons.
Old July 15th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Does any one remember when Stargate was about exploration? LOL - Fargate is not bad, and I really like the fact that it also has Mr. Shanks women on it, you know the hot one from that show with that dude that played that strong duded from Greek mythology... can't think of the name of it, Armagedon or drama something...... Still its nice to see her added to the cast of fargate.

As to BSG, well Richard Hatch was in the original was he not?

I think Brent Spiner would make an excellent creater of the cylons. I would watch that.
Old July 15th, 2006, 06:45 PM

First Lieutenant

You know if they did that with brent spiner, BSG would jump the shark.
Also, blink and you'll miss it, the miniseries had cameos for a lot of the old BSG actors and actresses. Well, for the ones not royally pissed off with Glen Larson.

I remember when stargate was about exploration. They shifted that to "Search for X/Y/Z/etc" and stuck in the rut ever since.

They need to get rid of the uber villians for a while and move on to do some serious exploration and first contact. I would definately like to see what became of a lot of those worlds from the first three seasons.
Old July 15th, 2006, 07:16 PM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Atrocities said:
I think Brent Spiner would make an excellent creater of the cylons. I would watch that.
Dr. Adama Soong, riiiiight.....
Old July 15th, 2006, 07:20 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

I was rather uninpressed with SG1's premiere. I'm really tired of the Ori. Actually I didn't much care for them to begin with. The Wraith are a little more interesting because they aren't really invincible, there's just so damn many of them. That makes them a pretty good villian since you never have any shortage of cannon fodder for the good guys to waste.

The Ori suck as an antogonist though. They are so powerful that logically they should wipe up the SGC teams and everybody in the galaxy without so much as second thought. So in order for the good guys to win the Ori have to be really stupid (which makes you wonder how they got so powerful) or the writers have to change the rules and give the SGC some magic weapon or the ancients are going to have to break their own rules and step back in. Ultimatly I'm sure it's going to be a little bit of both.

Sg1 was awesome with the G'auld. They were too strong to take on directly, but they didn't go out their way to come after SGC. It gave us a nice malevolent presence over the horizon to keep the tension ramped up, but they weren't in every dang episode. There is only so many times we can lose "every ship in the fleet" to the Ori and then turn around and have another fleet in the next episode before it starts getting a little predictable.

When they announced the new Sg1 last season it was going to go in this new direction where they investigated the camelot myths instead of the egyptian ones. That sounded cool and the couple episodes they've had along those lines were cool. But they need to wrap up this Ori crap soon or I might stop watching it.
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:17 AM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Personally, I love the Ori storyline. As to why they can't wipe out the SGC without a second thought, their 'treaty' with the Ancients prevents them from direct assaults, forcing them to use their minions instead...who are fallable and weak enough to be defeated, though not without a hell of a fight.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:32 AM

First Lieutenant

You know why the Ori are bad villians? Because they are like the Borg. Big, bad, and relentless. As a result, they got a lot of attention form the focus groups and test audiences and the show misunderstood that as a desisre to see more and more.

The Ori should've been handled with the rule of thumb "Less is More".
Old July 16th, 2006, 01:00 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

I have to say that I too like the Ori idea. Given that I came up with a version of it in my OUTS story nearly four years ago. However, I do miss the exploration aspect of SG and I hate to say it, but I also miss RDA.
Old July 16th, 2006, 01:33 PM

Sergeant

Colonel is on a distinguished road

AT supposedely RDA is going to be in 5 or so episodes this season, and its supposed to be more then that 2 second appearence in the begining of season 9. Also they have episode 200 coming up soon, so that should be pretty intresting "Return of Martin ". As for exploration thing missing, next week's episode seems to be an exploration thing, although it seems to be tied to looking for something to fight the Ori. In any case I am hopeful that it will be pretty good this season, considering I have read some spoilers. From what I read it seems only 3 episodes have direct Ori presence- out of the 7 there is info on.

Old July 17th, 2006, 04:10 AM

First Lieutenant

RDA is confirmed for episode 200 and there are enough hints to suggest furlings too.