Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old March 2nd, 2018, 07:54 PM

BANNED USER

Kiwikkiwik is on a distinguished road
Default Dust

Hi
Dust I think is problematical.
Can we maybe have a Yes/No button in preferences for dust? I am playing games in the desert and I continually face whole battalions of armour free to run around the map at will. I cant touch them as they create a dust trail and then neatly jump back a hex at the end of their turn out of sight. I realise my units can opportunity fire at the dust cloud creators in the opponent's turn but this then gives away the gun position, as the distance is automatically known and it is then promptly shelled off the map. Obviously in the real world, at the end of their 'turn' vehicles should be at the head of the dust trail and so visible to be engaged.
My opponent always uses fast cheap units like jeeps or Carriers to create the Dust screen.
Also unlike smoke the amount of dust available is unlimited.
Thank you.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 10:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dust

That's the double-edged sword for SP though.
On one hand, it allows you to move your units in a flexible manner, so you get the feel of strings of "cause and effect".
On the other hand, it allows for this rather gamey tactic.

If it's annoying to the human opponent and potentially destroys any enjoyment of the game, he should stop doing such tactic (such tactic rarely happens in real life anyway). PBEM is all about mutual enjoyment instead of mere winning through all means.

That being said, taking cover behind dust is not entirely gamey, especially if done non-systematically & non-intentionally. For example in a chaos of battle, after suffering some damage/casualty, such tanks may indeed retreat back behind the dust screen it kicked up previously (works in real life too).

So if you're annoyed by such behavior, tell him to stop.
Or, to make things work within the game's mechanics: Set your guns' range to something that allows for guaranteed hits (or even use OpFire filter). So when the tanks advance (obviously while still ahead of their dust), they'll take hits from the guns' Op-Fire. Hopefully with shorter ranges you'll have more luck in destroying them. With Op-Fire Filter, you can even filter out those pesky little jeeps & carriers, and only Op-Fire the juicy tanks.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to RightDeve For This Useful Post:
Old March 2nd, 2018, 10:37 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Dust occurs when visibility is high - 80+ IIRC. It was raised from the original values about 4-4 years back.

Set your visibility to about 70, if you do not want rooster trails. (Experiment in a test game to see when it happens, not going into the code this late).

As to your opponent using cheap jeeps to screen his forces - that's a wee bit gamey, but easily fixed by plotting arty or mortars where you think he is going to be, or if you can see them then fire HMG at them if in range.

And if he is advancing in a single phalanx, screened by them then just plot a massive fire blow at the area you think his phalanx will be when it arrives.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old March 3rd, 2018, 01:24 AM

Corporal

jp10 is on a distinguished road

The main problem with the game's dust, IMO, is that it last to long. About 50% of a dirt/sand dust trail is heavy and needs a strong wind to stay aloft. The dust trail should only be thick for 4-6 hexes behind the vehicle. A vehicle that moves enough to raise a 12 hex dust trail should only have maybe 2 hexes of heavy dust and 4 hexes of light dust behind it at end of movement.
Probably beyond game code however.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 12:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Dust

If I thought there was a problem I would agree but I don't.

Dust mostly dissipates in four turns from being produced which is maybe 12 minutes real time and it's only an issue when visibility gets above 75 ( not 80 BTW ). I honestly do not see 12 minutes as being an excessive amount of time when in all battles but campaigns and scenarios a player can simply keep visibility to under 75 and it's not an issue at all....that's near the upper limit for tank guns in WW2 anyway and well beyond the limit anyone would risk exposing their position by taking a shot

Turn 1

Turn 4

If the issue involves PBEM then it's simply a matter to agree with your opponent in advance that visibility should not exceed 75 if you don't want to deal with dust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turn 1.png
Views:	448
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	15237   Click image for larger version

Name:	turn 4.png
Views:	446
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	15238  

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; March 3rd, 2018 at 12:19 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old March 19th, 2018, 06:10 AM

BANNED USER

Kiwikkiwik is on a distinguished road

Oops, sorry didn't know I could lower visibility to fix this. Will do.
Thanks
Old March 29th, 2018, 08:12 AM

Sergeant

cbo is on a distinguished road

Dust appears to have been a significant tactical factor in combat. Both intentionally, used as a ruse or camouflage, but also unintentionally, being just a fact of desert combat. A quote:

On 11 April the encirclement of the fortress of Tobruk was completed. The "Brescia" Division opened the attack. A great deal of sand was blowing and the British artillery could therefore not be expected to direct any aimed fire.

At about 1300 several enemy tanks moved past Ras el Madauer toward our lines. Because of the tremendous amount of dust, which moreover was being blown toward our positions, it could not be seen whether they were followed by any additional tanks and whether it was really a major attack. Therefore, I immediately committed all the antitank guns which were available in this area, It actually was a major attack and we succeeded in knocking out several tanks and halting the enemy advance.

Around 1800 on 30 April a new attack was opened against Ras el Madauer. Numerous Stukas cooperated with us. Soon the hill was hidden in thick clouds of smoke and dust. The visibility of the enemy was reduced to zero. It was impossible for them to deliver any aimed fire. Our attack led to a complete victory.

Source: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/...toppe.asp.html - Chapter 8 - but also try to just search for "dust".
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cbo For This Useful Post: