.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 19th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Interesting

Yes, if anyones reputation is damaged it is Franks for not letting go, not Meglobob for backstabbing (or whatever happened) in a computer game.
Old March 19th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

FrankTrollman is on a distinguished road

Deleted.
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Sergeant

StrictlyRockers is on a distinguished road

All I want to say here is that I think it makes both of you look bad when you carry things over from an old game and hold grudges. It looks bad to everyone when you yell to make a point or use negative language like "misdeed".

Please consider how much fun everyone in the community has playing this game. Please give thought to how unneccessary negativity can have an adverse effect on the general spirit of sportsmanship and good will around here. And if you feel the need to make a point, find a way to make it positive.

Keep it mature and gentlemanly, and try to couch your messages in diplomatic language, humor and positive wording while avoiding personal reference or reference to past games. Writing it in role-playing character is also fun and very appropriate for D3 and helps avoid this kind of bad crassness.

This is my last post in this thread. I don't want to add any fuel to a fire that should be allowed to burn out. Picking at the scab is not going to help it to heal over. (Sorry for the mixed metaphors).
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
FrankTrollman said:
It's this sort of thing that makes people stick to reminding others of past misdeeds. The only way things go away is if you just shrug and move on.

-Frank
Good advice Frank, why don't you take it?
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:18 PM

Colonel

Velusion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
StrictlyRockers said:
All I want to say here is that I think it makes both of you look bad when you carry things over from an old game and hold grudges.
Meta-gaming should NEVER be ignored when it comes to these types of games - especially if you play to win. Knowing your opponent and understanding his reasoning/value-system is a key part to any game that revolves around free-flowing diplomacy/negotiations. To ask people to ignore people's past behavior is akin to asking them to play with a handicap.

Me and Frank were just observing the game-theory behind the popular back-stab and evaluating it from a gaming perspective. I don't think either me or Frank are passing judgment on the moral character of anyone here (at least I wasn't) - just pointing out the obvious consequences to performing the act.

Some people do care about oaths/pacts in a game, others don't. Some people will hold grudges, others won't. Some people will make a big fuss about breaking a deal, others won't. Those facts will never change.
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:58 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

And some people roleplay...
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:17 PM

Colonel

Velusion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dedas said:
And some people roleplay...
Yep, ain't nothing wrong with that in my book (I used to GM for years in RL).
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

FrankTrollman is on a distinguished road

Deleted.
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

Manuk is on a distinguished road

Frank. You don't know a thing of what happened and make an oppinion. Just should not.

If I have diplomatic messages going on and my neighbour don't answer them I just assumed he was hostile. The fact that he remembered me and old pact after the attack (wich I am not aware but it´s probably true) made me stop the advance to give him a turn to regroup.

Ganging on a weaker nation is disgusting and I see myself as a balancing factor, and balance is what I like of a game. Otherwise is plain boring.

I could attack him at the beggining of the game when he looked weak but I didn't to let him anjoy the game. I even discouraged Machaka to attack Abysia like he wanted (shmonk). And he can testify that.
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:07 PM

Major

Hadrian_II is on a distinguished road

Quote:
FrankTrollman said:
(...)Whether we are sending our tribute to Atlantis (...)
Now this is a very bad attitude, atlantis is an evil nation, not deserving any kind of support, we of tien chi fought them for a very long time, and now he have to notice, that they are funded by foreign power. I hope no one else has given in to atlantis threats as here is another: "every payment to Atlantis is considered an act of war against Tien Chi".
(too bad there is no way for me to notice who is doing it )

Quote:
Manuk said:
Ganging on a weaker nation is disgusting and I see myself as a balancing factor, and balance is what I like of a game. Otherwise is plain boring.
i think that when one of your neighbour is attacked and defeated, or looks like he will be defeated soon you have to take as much of him or else the nation who conquered him will come out too strong and will now threaten you. so its not disgusting, but just a necessary strategic move.

btw. i dont understand, why here is so much controversy about backstabbing, its i tactical move, and you dont just gain from it, as when you break a NAP you become an outlaw and a your other neighbours might start fighting you as a preemptive strike.