Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old October 10th, 2005, 11:03 AM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Super snipers???

For the record, I don't think snipers are too cheap. On the low end they may be (the 5 - 7 point snipers) but certainly not those with special (FC, RF and/or vision) equipment.

As I said earlier, snipers rarely do their points worth in damage to opponents. They do force you to certain tactics to deal with them. And that's the whole 'annoying' thing with snipers (not a criticism on the game model! just my feeling on snipers!), it takes relatively a lot of time and troops to take them out. If they act on their own, that's usually not that big a problem. But if you time their use right and use them in combination with other units/attacks, they can be a dangerous distraction because for example those units won't be where you really need them at that time.
Now if you take out an expensive sniper with them, the point cost of that sniper often makes up for a lot. But until you actually spot him, you don't know if it's an expensive one or a very cheap one. So those very cheap snipers may not achieve a lot in damage inflicted, but they can achieve tactical effects way beyond their 'real' value. Off course, just as with counter-sniper operations, it's not easy to pull off these stunts. But if and when you can, snipers can be a big force multiplier. Which comes (partly) from their tendency to stand firm (and be used as completely expendable, almost suicidal, units).

Narwan