.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old November 23rd, 2006, 08:44 PM

Sergeant

zepath is on a distinguished road
Default #secondaryeffectalways?

More like #secondaryeffectnever

I have tried on a number of occasions to get this command to work properly, but the numbers I input for it (the full command being #secondaryeffectalways <effect nbr>) do no correspond with the effects listed in the mod manual or with the weapon numbers (as secondary effects are essentially weapons stacked on top of weapons). For example, attempting to give a weapon the constant secondary effect of "Small Area Fire" I use #secondaryeffectalways 171 (as the mod manual says and as common sense dictates since weapon number 171 is Small Area Fire), yet the resulting weapon ends up with some strange effect like "Flail" instead. What gives, eh?
Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:05 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: #secondaryeffectalways?

Somewhere in all that code, there must be a bug that's acting like a switch. When you put in that command, the computer looks at it, sees something it's not supposed to see, and switches to the next effect, "next" being in this case whatever random effect is close at hand. Computers are a wonderful example of chaos theory. Technically, nothing should go wrong with them. Realistically, everything does
Old November 24th, 2006, 03:14 AM

Second Lieutenant

FrankTrollman is on a distinguished road

The actual command is

#secondaryeffect <effect nbr>

The "always" in there is not necessary and doesn't do anything except break the syntax. It's a glitch in the mod manual.

-Frank
Old November 24th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
FrankTrollman said:
The actual command is

#secondaryeffect <effect nbr>

The "always" in there is not necessary and doesn't do anything except break the syntax. It's a glitch in the mod manual.

The Great Catsby has spoken.

fixt
Old November 24th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Sergeant

So the whole thing is just a clever ruse to make me think there was a way to mod constant secondary effects. I believe the following expression sums up my feelings on the matter...

"This blows."
Old November 24th, 2006, 07:59 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

It seems that #secondaryeffectalways doesn't work, but I don't know why Frank thinks it isn't supposed to work.
Old November 24th, 2006, 08:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

FrankTrollman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Endoperez said:
It seems that #secondaryeffectalways doesn't work, but I don't know why Frank thinks it isn't supposed to work.
Because if you put in "#secondaryeffect" into the weapon modding, you get a secondary effect that always works.

There's an extra "always" at the end of that tag that isn't part of the actual command, and if you remove it, the command works properly.

If "#secondaryeffect" works and does what "#secondaryeffectalways" is listed as doing, are you really going to tell me that the bug is that "#secondaryeffectalways" isn't implemented? [censored] no.

Especially not when parts of the mod manual axctually direct you to use the shortened (and correctly functioning) mod command:

Quote:
Do not use this command if you want to create a normal poisoned weapon, use #secondaryeffect instead.
Now granted, it would be awesome for there to be a #secondaryeffect50 that had a secondary effect that occurred half the time. But #secondaryeffect is already active always so there would be no point, at all, for including a #secondaryeffectalways - the default chance is already 100% - always doesn't change anything.

-Frank
Old November 24th, 2006, 08:45 PM

Captain

Amos is on a distinguished road

Frank you are wrong . #secondaryeffectalways is an old Dom2 command. Its not a manual error. #secondaryeffect doesnt always work, but only if the weapon itself hits. #secondaryeffectalways is supposed to hit even if the weapon misses.
Old November 25th, 2006, 07:00 PM

Sergeant

Precisely, Amos. They are meant to have different effects. #secondaryeffect only triggers when the weapon actually strikes home. #secondaryeffectalways is supposed to trigger every time the weapon is used no matter the result of the attack. I was hoping to employ #secondaryeffectalways in weapons that would *always* cause a certain effect (like Small Area Fire) whether they struck a monster or not. Sadly, failure and then this thread. Would be nice to see this command reinstituted...