winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:43 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Question Win7

I'd be interested to hear from anyone running WIN7 regarding the settings they are set up for in the MISC tab of game options

ScrollSensitivity=12

ScrollSpeed=250

Graphdelay=40

UnitMoveDelay=50

are the default settings for winSPMBT.

What I need to know is what you are running those at now to make the game work and did they change when you upgraded from XP to Vista or Win7

Don
Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:50 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Win7

Think this is more related to computer speed than operating system.
I went from XP to Vista & back without changing the settings I used.

Only have one computer in front of me but know both use default for first 2 settings
12 & 250

Graphic delay is set to 60 though if I remember didnt really make much diffrence 40 was fine.

Unit move delay is the big one this computer is set to 300 I think the other is around 600 its certainly higher.
If your looking for a baseline would suggest 300 higher is for power users & they should be more capable of tweaking.

On the standard setting of 50 things moved so fast its virtualy instant so fast you only have a vague idea of the path it took.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 03:45 PM

Private

jaywalker is on a distinguished road

I used to play the DL versions of both winWW2 and winSPMBT on a machine with winXP using the following settings:

Scroll Sensitivity = 12
Scroll Speed = 70
Graphics Delay = 40
Unit Move Delay = 140

I've played Steel Panthers for many years (since its first iteration), and with experience found that these settings work best for me.

When I changed to a new machine and Windows7 (Home Premium) earlier this year I installed the purchased versions of both games, and used exactly the same settings I did with XP. Surprisingly, despite having a faster machine and a new OS, those same settings still work fine for me.

Can't remember the specs of my old machine, but I'm now using a Sony Vaio running the Intel Core i5CPU @ 2.27 GHz, with 4 GBytes system memory (if that info is of any use to you).

jaywalker
The Following User Says Thank You to jaywalker For This Useful Post:
Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:37 PM

General

Guess I should not be surprised but........................

Threads called Win7 so one might guess the majority of people that read it have that operating system yet out of 42 views only 2 answers

Even if only 1 in 10 readers had Win7 thats 4 answers

Kinda makes me wonder why they bother
Old December 4th, 2010, 09:59 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Question Re: Win7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywalker View Post
When I changed to a new machine and Windows7 (Home Premium) earlier this year I installed the purchased versions of both games, and used exactly the same settings I did with XP. Surprisingly, despite having a faster machine and a new OS, those same settings still work fine for me.
jaywalker
A few questions

1/ Did you install the game in the default Program Files location or did you move the install to the main area of C: drive ?

2/ Do you run the game fullscreen or Windowed ? If you run full screen does it run OK out of the box for you or have you had to apply some of the fixes mentioned on the forums ?

Don
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:07 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Guess I should not be surprised but........................

Threads called Win7 so one might guess the majority of people that read it have that operating system yet out of 42 views only 2 answers

Even if only 1 in 10 readers had Win7 thats 4 answers

Kinda makes me wonder why they bother

We are trying to solve the problems some people have had that developed after Vista and Win7 were release. Vista wasn't as much of an issue as Win7 was because many people avoided Vista but there's no avoiding Win7.

I've identified 3 specific problem areas and we are looking at ways to either eliminate or simplify the problems new players to the game might be having getting it to run. This thread was started to see if some of the default settings were serious issues.

Don
Old December 4th, 2010, 11:15 AM

General

Don
As I think you know never had Win7 but had Vista then switched back as when I set up dual booting found my system ran a lot faster using XP.
Before I did that though I fixed the Vista issues & have done the same for mates with Win7 as computer savy.

I forget what they are called now & how to do it but a few minutes on Forums will tell you (or anyone) how to swith off the functions.
Its easy enough & Win7 is even easier than Vista.

2 things to switch off.

The first the one that gives a pop up everytime you try to do something that modifies the system like installing or moving something.
Supposed to be a security feature but if your really worried about security use a non administrator account, switch to an administrator account when you want to do stuff.
Somebody remote accesing can press the yes I want to continue box just as easily as you.

The second is the annoying feature that moves user generated files to another location.
2 options
Switch it off
or
Look up the folder it moves everything to as you can then interact with them there.
Note did not try this just found it to delete everything in it once I switched it off.
Moving stuff here may confuse the computer a bit & leave loads of dead registry entries so would want to clean your reg after.

I think the idea behind it was for business everythings in the same place which makes Networks & IT guys job easy.

As said both simple when you know what they are called in control panel if I remember correct just select the checkbox to switch them off.

Last edited by Imp; December 4th, 2010 at 11:26 AM..
Old December 4th, 2010, 02:15 PM

Private

jaywalker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywalker View Post
jaywalker
A few questions

1/ Did you install the game in the default Program Files location or did you move the install to the main area of C: drive ?

2/ Do you run the game fullscreen or Windowed ? If you run full screen does it run OK out of the box for you or have you had to apply some of the fixes mentioned on the forums ?

Don
1/ I installed directly to the C: drive, NOT the default Programs folder. I do this for all my games.

2/ I run the game fullscreen, but first had to apply NCrawler's win7fix. The reason I bought the CD versions was mainly to take advantage of the alternative screen resolution options. As it is, the game doesn't really run in "full screen" as there's about a two inch black void on either side. Also I've found that with my machine's native screen resolution of 1366 x 768 I have to use the game's 800 x 600 resolution option in order to be able to read the text! I could probably monkey around and experiment with various combinations, but what I've got right now works just fine for me.

jaywalker
Old December 14th, 2010, 01:53 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I've had all sorts of "issues" with Vista and WinSPMBT.
Even after following every suggestion here and my own tweaking I have a perceptible pause when I move the mouse, there's a slight "slide show" quality to game overall, and occasionally some sound effect "hangs up" and I get a reverb effect followed shortly by the blue screen of death.

I'm pretty sure *grin* my computer (2.2 gig quad core, 4 gig RAM, 9600GT vid care) isn't the problem...it's Vista.

WinSPMBT is quite playable, but there are "issues".

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein