.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 24th, 2004, 05:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: patch 2.08 is out

Quote:
Originally posted by SurvivalistMerc:
That's a good idea. Because we only have two overworked devs, and they can't do everything at once.
Im not completely sure but in this case we might be talking about ONE overworked Dev. Johan K seems to be most of the programming. Kristoffer O seems to do most of the artwork and designing things like new nations and units. Johan O is a brother and helps out alot (such as playing goalee here blocking player shots at the devs). There is porbably some overlap but certain things we want look like they end up in one lap or the other.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 26th, 2004, 06:03 AM

Private

Osium is on a distinguished road

I would be in favor of an auto retreat, however I don't see why both sides have to retreat. The explaination given to satisfy those who want such an explaination so as not to ruin their immersion is simple. The attackers see they are not winning, or that victory is not possible, being far from friendly lands and supplies it makes sense they would retreat home to rethink/plan a new invasion. The defence being in its home land has no need to retreat, they stay put.
Old February 26th, 2004, 03:50 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

That would make sense to me, and I think matches most games also. If it looks like there will not be a win in X rounds then it is usually the attacker which pulls back.

There is also a scripting ability for "5 actions then retreat" which should remain a useful function. An automatic end of combat should always be a less desireable choice than a scripted retreat (which I usually think of as "if the battle goes this long then pull back" type of comand)

[ February 26, 2004, 13:53: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 26th, 2004, 04:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

Peter Ebbesen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Osium:
I would be in favor of an auto retreat, however I don't see why both sides have to retreat. The explaination given to satisfy those who want such an explaination so as not to ruin their immersion is simple. The attackers see they are not winning, or that victory is not possible, being far from friendly lands and supplies it makes sense they would retreat home to rethink/plan a new invasion. The defence being in its home land has no need to retreat, they stay put.
Of course, it also happens when the attackers are winning, but the defenders (or at least one defender) have happened to hold out for 50 turns. In that case only a stupid attacker would retreat home to plan a new invasion rather than forcing the attack, as that would give the defender time to regroup.
Old February 26th, 2004, 04:15 PM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
quote:
Originally posted by SurvivalistMerc:
That's a good idea. Because we only have two overworked devs, and they can't do everything at once.
Im not completely sure but in this case we might be talking about ONE overworked Dev. Johan K seems to be most of the programming. Kristoffer O seems to do most of the artwork and designing things like new nations and units. Johan O is a brother and helps out alot (such as playing goalee here blocking player shots at the devs). There is porbably some overlap but certain things we want look like they end up in one lap or the other.
Thats basically true, any major coding related changes have to be made by JK. The kinds of changes people most often ask for are the kind of changes that usually ends up at JK's desk, and that no one else of us is capable of doing anything about.