World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old December 26th, 2011, 12:09 PM

Private

arkhangelsk is on a distinguished road
Default The "Z" direct fire key - are they even trying

...to aim at the hex I've selected?

So, I designate a hex about 3 hexes away from my tank for direct fire b/c I'm trying to flush out an enemy. The tank shoots up the hex to the side, even the one two hexes to the side, back, forward ... etc everything but the hex in question.

This is at a distance of 3 hexes, with a tank gun. There's hardly even a need to aim - just pointing in the general direction should have landed rounds in the hex. This is deliberate sabotage.

I know I can't see an actual target, so my chances of getting actual kills are low. But how about at least shooting into the actual 50m wide zone? If I want to try to shoot up the other hexes, I will designate them.

Is it possible to modify the Z so that conditions for the round hitting the hex is similar to when I'm aiming at actual units?

Or are there reasons why this is impossible?

Thanks.
Old December 26th, 2011, 01:09 PM

Sergeant

scJazz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The "Z" direct fire key - are they even trying

Same thing happens when trying to fire smoke btw. When firing at an actual target rounds always land within 1 hex. I think they do it just to make things harder.
Old December 26th, 2011, 04:47 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,425 Times in 2,696 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Close range z fire deviation has been a "B" list issue for awhile but we always have more than enough "A" list issue to deal with ahead of it.

Don
Old December 26th, 2011, 05:10 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Close range z fire deviation has been a "B" list issue for awhile but we always have more than enough "A" list issue to deal with ahead of it.

Don
Many of us are overjoyed to hear it's on any list.
Thanks!

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old December 26th, 2011, 08:12 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
...to aim at the hex I've selected?

So, I designate a hex about 3 hexes away from my tank for direct fire b/c I'm trying to flush out an enemy. The tank shoots up the hex to the side, even the one two hexes to the side, back, forward ... etc everything but the hex in question.

This is at a distance of 3 hexes, with a tank gun. There's hardly even a need to aim - just pointing in the general direction should have landed rounds in the hex. This is deliberate sabotage.

I know I can't see an actual target, so my chances of getting actual kills are low. But how about at least shooting into the actual 50m wide zone? If I want to try to shoot up the other hexes, I will designate them.

Is it possible to modify the Z so that conditions for the round hitting the hex is similar to when I'm aiming at actual units?

Or are there reasons why this is impossible?

Thanks.
Well the AI never uses z-fire,right?

With no enemy spotted,z-fire should be area suppression and not at all accurate.

Say a tank commander orders fire in a general direction of suspected enemy locs,and the gunner with a vague idea where he thinks its best to fire,does just that.

It's wholely different than direct fire on spotted units.
IMO this issue should stay on the b-list or even on the f-list.
It would cause alot problems when playing pbem games,just to make it even easier to beat-up the AI.
Old December 27th, 2011, 04:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Say a tank commander orders fire in a general direction of suspected enemy locs,and the gunner with a vague idea where he thinks its best to fire,does just that.
Yes but if say the tank commander says to the gunner "fire at that trees over there" and the gunner fires at positions without tress 50 or 100 meters away from where the commander tells him (or in game terms 1 or 2 hexes away) doesnt make much sense now does it?
Old December 27th, 2011, 08:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

The way I see it, when using Z fire for ranges more than 3 or 4 hexes away (without any LOS to the target hex), the unit would fire more accurately in the general direction of the z fire.
The thing that needs to be fixed is when firing in, say, 3 hexes without LOS. That z fire goes real wild when it is about 3 hexes away.
Other than that, the concept of Z fire is realistic enough.
Old December 28th, 2011, 07:09 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeraaa View Post
Quote:
Yes but if say the tank commander says to the gunner "fire at that trees over there" and the gunner fires at positions without tress 50 or 100 meters away from where the commander tells him (or in game terms 1 or 2 hexes away) doesnt make much sense now does it?
Point taken,
Usually at that close range,your infranty should have already spotted those bad guys excluding 0 units,unless it's afv with no grunt support or they all were suppressed,either way afv z-firing is not going to help much.
Old December 30th, 2011, 08:06 PM

Corporal

BadCompany is on a distinguished road

I've always used Z as a suppression tool. I thought the inaccuracy of the Z fire was to represent the fact that for example you may be taking fire from those woods, but you don't know exactly where those units are(The enemy haven't been directly spotted yet), so the the gunner "sprays" fire into the woods to return fire and suppress the enemy. This is why I never thought much about Z fire's inaccuracy even at close ranges, because it represented "spraying" when the exact enemy location is unknown so you can suppress them and buy time to get your units back into a better position.
Old December 31st, 2011, 01:37 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Out of LOS Z fire is also deliberately randomised to reduce the "Godlike Player" effect. It's blind fire.

The "player god" has a far better feel for the overall battlefield than the elements would have if they were real men. Real units don't spray ammo over areas unless they have at least some indication that there would be someone there.

Area fire at a hex in LOS is far more effective and accurate. If you in your role as the player god "knows" there should be a squad at X,Y and "telepathically command" your men to have the inspiration to beat up the nearby area - then if X,Y is out of LOS but a nearby hex is within LOS - target that one. There will be overs and sides, but the fire will generally remain on the LOS hex, and some will spill onto the target that you the "god" knows is actually there whereas the blind firing will wander all over - and is fully intended to. No matter the range.

Cheers
Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: