.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 20th, 2004, 06:50 PM

Private

Ascendent is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why would Illithid mind bLasts affect my Carrion Lords?

I don't have a problem with affliction..well mostly because all my CW units regen. But my Dragora Ettin hereo once lost and I quote "A couple of eyes" next round he grew them back but I thought it was odd that he managed to lose a couple instead of the traditional 1 or 2 maybe its because he has two heads. *shrugs*

Ascendent
Old February 20th, 2004, 06:56 PM

Sergeant

fahdiz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Ascendent:
I don't have a problem with affliction..well mostly because all my CW units regen. But my Dragora Ettin hereo once lost and I quote "A couple of eyes" next round he grew them back but I thought it was odd that he managed to lose a couple instead of the traditional 1 or 2 maybe its because he has two heads. *shrugs*
I had a similarly funny message Last night regarding my Nataraja pretender...he waded into battle and after the dust settled, I was sad to find that he had three afflictions. One was "Lost one eye" and another was "And lost the other one as well". Ack.
Old February 20th, 2004, 07:12 PM

Corporal

aldin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Byler:
I don't know what CW has that can soak up mind bLasts, if its normal mandragoras/carrion beasts are mindless. Summon Animals or Horned Serpents might work, or you might have to resort to making living troops.
CW's base unit is a 10/3, cheap enough for mind fodder

~Aldin
Old February 20th, 2004, 10:59 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Ascendent
But this makes perfect sense. Two heads means four eyes. Units have a stat for "number of eyes".

PvK
Old February 20th, 2004, 11:03 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by fahdiz:
I had a similarly funny message Last night regarding my Nataraja pretender...he waded into battle and after the dust settled, I was sad to find that he had three afflictions. One was "Lost one eye" and another was "And lost the other one as well". Ack.
This happened to a recurring villain in my first-ever game playing the Dominions I demo. There was an enemy horse archer commander who kept leading armies against my forces, and I couldn't finish him off since he would stay at a distance and fire arrows, and then run away if/when I managed to beat his army. However our archers did manage to take out one eye, and then his other eye, but he'd still show up leading armies against my forces, but now firing arrows in random directions since he couldn't see anything!

This was one of the things that convinced me early on that Dominions was a classic and wonderful game. He's one of the most memorable and amusing characters I've encountered in a computer game, and he was auto-generated by the detailed game engine and the events of play!

PvK
Old February 20th, 2004, 11:10 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Heh. And almost every affliction has an attack form which specifically causes it -- certain weapons and shields blind people, there's an axe which causes chest wounds, two artifacts which cut off arms, one artifact which cripples, a bow that feebleminds... plus numerous spells that do so as well.
I don't know of any that specifically cause mute, battle fright or decapitation (!), but the amount of maiming in a game can be quite amazing...
Old February 20th, 2004, 11:39 PM

Sergeant

fahdiz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PvK:
This was one of the things that convinced me early on that Dominions was a classic and wonderful game. He's one of the most memorable and amusing characters I've encountered in a computer game, and he was auto-generated by the detailed game engine and the events of play!
Yes, it's all the little things (the thousands and thousands of little things ) that make this game such a joy to play. Every time I fire it up, I find something new. I love that, and I haven't really seen that in a game for several years now.
Old February 21st, 2004, 02:01 AM

Sergeant

Chris Byler is on a distinguished road

Undead are not immune to mind bLasts. Only mindless beings are immune to mind bLasts. A lot of weaker undead are mindless, but stronger undead (Lictor, Wailing Lady, Wight) and undead commanders/mages are not.

I don't know what CW has that can soak up mind bLasts, if its normal mandragoras/carrion beasts are mindless. Summon Animals or Horned Serpents might work, or you might have to resort to making living troops.
Old February 21st, 2004, 02:16 AM

Private

Ascendent is on a distinguished road

I agree that the commanders aren't mindless but I disagree that they would be effected by mindbLasts. As undead beings their minds wouldn't work the same as a living creature they would be more magical in nature. There is no organic brain or whatever regulating body functions so if there isn't a brain controlling their bodies and actions why would it be affected by a stun that stops the brain from sending out impulses? Hell their brains probably rotted away. Now if this less a brain/mind stun and more like a telekinetic power that holds a being there then I could see it working on a being regardless. Just my 2 cents.

Ascendent
Old February 21st, 2004, 02:35 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree that the commanders aren't mindless but I disagree that they would be effected by mindbLasts. As undead beings their minds wouldn't work the same as a living creature they would be more magical in nature. There is no organic brain or whatever regulating body functions so if there isn't a brain controlling their bodies and actions why would it be affected by a stun that stops the brain from sending out impulses? Hell their brains probably rotted away. Now if this less a brain/mind stun and more like a telekinetic power that holds a being there then I could see it working on a being regardless. Just my 2 cents.

Ascendent
Undead minds work exactly the same as living minds, trust me . They are however more magical. This is represented by a higher magic resistance.
Besides, it is not the brain that controls the body, its the soul.