.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

Old October 10th, 2010, 11:46 AM

Private

Kurdran is on a distinguished road
Default Weird Worlds 2?

so there's the Unreal SDK which allows you to make quality games without the need for a massive development team.

so digital eel, why not make another Starship RPG game? honestly this is probably one of the greatest independent games ever made, like ive spent more time playing Weird Worlds than Spore, not joking, 3 guys make a game 10x more fun than a multi million dollar budget game.

I know digital eel is capable of making good 3d models and textures and that's really all you need when designing a new game with the Unreal SDK.
Old October 18th, 2010, 01:12 AM

Private

The Box is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Weird Worlds 2?

I'm all for a Weird Worlds 2, but I think it would have to be done in the old 2-D style.

I think the problem is that a (good-quality) 3-D game requires a huge amount of work when creating models, textures, effects and so on. However... another of the great things about Weird Worlds is that it's very easy to mod, and the Unreal Engine also has great mod support. Could be interesting...
Old December 14th, 2010, 02:36 AM

Private

nicklemarr is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Weird Worlds 2?

I think that, if there is a sequel, the scale should be brought up just a tad.

Let me explain.

I would, if it were up to me, keep the same 2D engine for traveling and interacting with worlds, but if there is an event (eg. ripcord) or at a space station, it should go to a early 90's point and click scene kind of like a Space Quest 6 type of thing; not in quality, but in feel.

Static backdrop, and sprites moving around. That way it's simple enough for no 3D modeling, but still enough to make you feel like whatever happening is important and such.

Imagine a cut-scene like that after leaving some planet to see Ezmeralda in the cargo hold or something. Maybe it's not just a scene, maybe you play as the "Lookout Frogs" in like a puzzle/minigame trying to catch her. All of this in the middle of your WW adventure.

The cut-scene would add a lot more depth and since it would be randomized on triggers, you could have lets say 200 of them, and only show 10 of them in one given game, keeping the short feel of the game.

Of course I am just playing to my own interests lol.