.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 8th, 2004, 04:23 PM

Corporal

Bossemanden is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Jotunheim:Utgard AAR

Nice! A new AAR. Very detailed and well written.
Show those heretics from Pythium what an attack should look like.
Old February 8th, 2004, 05:02 PM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Turn #4, Summer of year 1
The first taste of victory.

Travellers from afar bring word that a High Inquisitor of Marignon has been appointed as the false prophet of the pretender Ita Kama, while word also reaches us that a Priest King of Mictlan speaks for the pretender Gugalanna. My Dominion has spread into the lands of Ancyrna, while the strength of the faith has risen to 30% in Iron Range, and 20% in Gwyrth, Black Alps, and the Wailwind Waters. Some lay priests in the temple of Jotunheim are found to be selling favors, but I overlook the practice, for now, despite the heresy and weakening of the faith within the city, as my attention is focused on the conflict with Pythium, and the practicalities of extra coin are somewhat useful.

Bdvar continues to observe quietly as Pythium once again assaults the pagans of the Black Alps. This time, Pythium's force contains their false prophet Philomelium, the mercenary illusionist Obscuro, a centurion, a standard-bearer, 16 velites, and 12 hastatus. The pagans can only field their 3 commanders and 11 crossbowmen, as all their footmen were either killed or fled the battle in the previous month. The presence of the false prophet dramatically tips the battle in Pythium's favor, as his Sermons of Courage prevent a repeat of the Last battle's ignominious defeat. Pythium takes over the province with a loss of only 4 velites. I am not pleased by this, but it does not come as a surprise. I feel that Bdvar can be more useful moving on, so I have the scout make his way towards Saeborea to the southeast.

As I had suspected, the reports of the forces in Gwyrth were not entirely accurate. In this instance overestimating the enemy by 17%. I am faced with only a half-dozen archers, five heavy and 23 light infantry, led by three commanders and a priest. The smaller than expected number of archers delights me. My stalwart giants, along with my avatar, make short work of the lightly armored footmen, shrugging off the two arrows that find their marks throughout the battle. The heavy footmen have no stomach for the carnage and rout before ever being engaged, as do the crossbowmen and leaders once the light troops are no more. Most satisfactory. Bove distinguishes himself in the battle, making 4 kills and acquiring 8 trophies, and is bestowed heroic toughness (+3 to protection, raising it to 20!). My avatar claims 6 kills and 7 trophies. The plains of Gwyrth are mine! I note that there are some 13 malcontents, angry at losing loved ones in the battle and stirring up dissent, but I expect that with the passage of time this will abate on its own. As I cannot spare my giants to round up these misguided souls, I leave them be.

My troops are blooded and have acquitted themselves beyond my expectations, suffering no losses, and I am justifiably proud of them. But the celebration is brief, as the false prophet of Pythium and his force are just a short distance away in the Black Alps, and preparations must be made.

The Seithkona Fulla (possessing the skills of first circle astral, first circle death, and first circle nature mage) comes to the castle to aid the Norna Lit. The first rank in the school of 'Alteration' is mastered and studies continue towards the next rank in that field. My avatar can thus now cast Personal Luck, which I script him to prepare before he enters battle.

My realm has:
  • __2 Provinces
  • 151 Treasury.
  • 255 Income. (+32)
  • 114 Resources in the capital. (+10)
I command that another Seithkona be found to assist Lit, as well as 2 more Jotun Spearman be readied for future battle. For this, I provide 150 coins.

My victorious army, in high spirits, sets out for the Black Alps, and a reckoning with the false prophet of Pythium.

to be continued ...

EDIT: Gwyrth unrest

[ February 11, 2004, 14:29: Message edited by: Arryn ]
Old February 8th, 2004, 05:57 PM

Major General

BTW, I'd like to interject a note of caution here. After Zen explained to me the unfortunate probabilities that having only Astral-4 risks when being confronted by Mind Duels, I must say that my decision to lower Astral to 4 in order to take an additional magic scale (to L2) is not what I would have done had I to do it over. I will likely get away with it in SP (and I have in the past), but against a human opponent I strongly advise that you take Astral-5 (or higher) if you try to build a pretender similar to my Wyrm. Don't say you weren't warned!
Old February 8th, 2004, 06:22 PM

Private

gibson is on a distinguished road

Nice post so far. I'm looking forward to reading future turn reports.
Old February 8th, 2004, 06:38 PM

Corporal

Pillin is on a distinguished road

Have you considered going for cold 3 for the extra points? this wont hurt you as much as it will hurt all the others bar the cold 3 nations. Besides the temperatures swing a bit, so you might end up actually getting your prefered cold 2 more often
Old February 8th, 2004, 07:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

Scott Hebert is on a distinguished road

I must say I also really enjoy this AAR. While others may be a little more poetic, the direct applicability of all of the information provided is very useful to new players like me.

While I think of myself as a rather good strategy player, I have never thought of giving a SC pretender magic skills based on the spells it allowed him to cast in combat. You have certainly broadened my mind in that regard, and I would like to thank both you and Zen for doing so.

Bayushi Tasogare
Old February 9th, 2004, 01:35 AM

Major General

Quote:
Originally posted by Pillin:
Have you considered going for cold 3 for the extra points? this wont hurt you as much as it will hurt all the others bar the cold 3 nations.
-5% gold and -10% supplies will hurt me more than my enemies. The gold in the early game is critical, and the supplies later on when my armies are large. Giants eat a lot, and Bags of Wine, etc. can only do so much. I did consider it, and in my previous games, before Zen opened my eyes a bit, that's exactly what I did. But so far in this game (I'm up to turn 18, though the AAR is only as far as 4), not going for Cold 3 has been working rather well.

You asked a great question, which I'm sure a lot of beginners are curious to know about, and is a point that is subject to debate. If I took the Cold 3, then the points gained might be spent on:
  • Magic increase to 3 (I already have more than enough fast magic research)
  • Misfortune reduce to 1 (tempting, but I prefer the gold; my nornas will help me to reduce misfortune in my capital, which is the key province)
  • Growth to 1 (does not make up for the loss of gold due to cold)
  • Astral from 4 to 5 (I should have taken 5 anyway. But this is not the fix for that. I'll make do with items to boost my skill.)
  • Dominion increase (5 is enough to start, and trading gold for dominion is not a good idea IMO)
Old February 9th, 2004, 01:41 AM

Major General

Quote:
Originally posted by Bayushi Tasogare:
I must say I also really enjoy this AAR. While others may be a little more poetic, the direct applicability of all of the information provided is very useful to new players like me.
Precisely my intent. I can be more poetic, but it would get in the way of the main purpose which is to inform, not to entertain. Thanks for the praise!
Quote:
While I think of myself as a rather good strategy player, I have never thought of giving a SC pretender magic skills based on the spells it allowed him to cast in combat. You have certainly broadened my mind in that regard, and I would like to thank both you and Zen for doing so.
Thank Zen for that. Prior to him, I hadn't considered SC pretender design in light of combat, only in terms of ritual casting (for when the pretender settles down later, which this SC is unlikely to do). I felt the concept was so important that I wanted to share it with others here, since I knew I couldn't be the only one who had been flailing around in the dark.
Old February 9th, 2004, 03:20 AM

Major General

Turn #5, Late Summer of year 1
A second war?

Travellers from afar bring word that an aptly-named Traitor Prince has become the false prophet of the R'lyeh pretender Hatheg Klah, while a herald brings us the stunning diplomatic note that Caelum has gone to war against us. I am more amused by this than concerned, since the Caelumite herald must have travelled far indeed, through many hostile lands, in order to deliver such a pointless declaration. I decline to feast on him, despite his impudence, since I expect that some barbarian along his route back will be more in need of the meat than I. Perhaps I am too merciful and kind-hearted?

Bdvar reports from Saeborea, whose land alone produces a revenue equal to 40% of that of my entire realm, of some fifty heavily-armed horsemen and soldiers, still loyal to the old pagan ways. He also reports that the farmlands of Helmshire, upriver to the southeast, would also add another 30% to my revenues, and my dominion has already spread into this land. My anger grows at Pythium, for threatening my northern flank should I prematurely extend myself to gather these lands. The delay is like a salted wound to me. Pythium must be swept away! For now, I decide to keep my scout in Saeborea, to refine his estimates of the opposition there, and to observe the capital of Pythium directly to the north.

My army seizes the Black Alps -- unopposed. The Pythium prophet has moved on, behind me, to capture the Iron Range, and to threaten my capital just to the southwest. Intolerable! I am only slightly mollified in that there appear to be only a half-score malcontents in the Alps, which I attribute to the increased faith here, now risen to a level of 30%, as the pagans and heathens behold the fearsome presence of my avatar in their midst. It also appears that my judgement of the unrest in Gwyrth is correct, as one of the malcontents there has adjusted to the changed situation. I expect that more will follow this wiser course, and thus not provoke me into taking action.

While I had been hoping that Pythium would stand its ground in the Alps, I was not truly expecting them to. Their conquest of the pagans in the Range will only make my task of consolidating control over the Jotun Peninsula easier -- once I have disposed of the Pythium prophet and his force. To this end, I make plans and give orders.

The Seithkona Edda joins my coven of magical researchers, and they shall soon master the second rank in the school of 'Alteration'.

My realm has:
  • __3 Provinces
  • 181 Treasury.
  • 261 Income. (+6)
  • 114 Resources in the capital. (unchanged)
I command that another Seithkona be found to join my coven, and that 3 more Jotun Spearman be readied for the battles ahead. For this, I provide 180 coins.

I send the Herse Bove across the plains of Gwyrth and back to the capital to gather the reinforcements that will be waiting there. My avatar, along with my prophet and my army, eager for battle, march along the ridgelines southwest into the Iron Range, on the hunt for a certain snake prophet.

to be continued ...

[ February 11, 2004, 14:28: Message edited by: Arryn ]
Old February 9th, 2004, 04:52 AM

Major General

Turn #6, Early Fall of year 1
Reality masters illusion.

Travellers from afar bring word that a Coral Queen has been appointed as the false prophet of the Atlantian pretender Dinodike [Honest, that's what it's named. A butch, leather-clad reptile goddess of the sea?], while word also reaches us that a Strategos of Arcoscephale speaks for the pretender Falco.

Bdvar reports that the faithful in Saeborea have risen to 20% of the populace, while 30% of the tritons in the Wailwind Waters have been converted. He has revised his report of the strength of the pagans in Saeborea downwards to 40 (from 50). I decide to leave him in place for a third month, to confirm this latest report.

A two-score strong force of gladiators, velites, and hastatus from the Pythium capital marches on the heels of my departing army and seizes the now-vacant and undefended Black Alps. They have taken the bait I left for them. I am pleased. Pythium is acting within my plan, since it will be easier to crush their army away from the walls of their citadel.

My avatar, prophet, and army do battle with the snake-worshippers in the Iron Range. Facing me is the mercenary illusionist Obscuro, a standard-bearer, 8 velites, and 12 hastatus. The Pythium prophet, along with a centurion and 8 velites have slipped around my army and joined the troops in the Alps. My quarry has eluded me, for now, but his days are surely numbered, and they are not many. I content myself with the extermination of the remaining small force, including the mage-for-hire Obscuro. My giants once again do me proud, taking no losses from this weak Pythium force, and my avatar gains another 2 kills and 6 more trophies, the experience thus gained increasing my prowess in combat.

Unrest remains stable in Gwyrth at a dozen malcontents. I may need to deal with them after all, though not now. Perhaps they are affected by the battles in the adjacent lands to their west and north? The people of the Iron Range rejoice at their liberation and the faithful increase to 40% of the total population. A dozen and a half malcontents cause dissent in the newly-freed land, but the populace is sparse in the mountains and I care little about the effect of such few rebels. The blessings of peace will surely silence their outcries in a matter of months.

I make plans to clear the Jotun Peninsula of the remaining snake presence, and give orders.

The Seithkona Urd joins my coven of magical researchers, who have now mastered the second rank in the school of 'Alteration', and they continue their studies with the goal of achieving the third rank.

My realm has:
  • __3 Provinces
  • 202 Treasury.
  • 260 Income. (-1)
  • 127 Resources in the capital. (+13)

I command that another Seithkona be found to add to the growing coven, and 3 more Jotun Spearman be readied, for the eventual siege of the Pythium citadel. I also command that a militia leader be placed in the Iron Range, and another in Gwyrth, along with 5 more defenders in the latter plains, the second-largest souce of income to my realm at this time. For this, I empty the treasury completely.

I send Bove, along with eight Jotun spearmen, back to the plains of Gwyrth to bolster the newly-formed militia there, in case Pythium attempts to flank me again. My avatar, along with my prophet and my army, having had a taste of the snakes and found them to their liking, march back towards the Black Alps in search of more substantial fare.

to be continued ...

[ February 11, 2004, 14:27: Message edited by: Arryn ]