.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old May 7th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road
Default Rohan! version 1.02 (New Content, few bug fixes)

ver 1.02

Been playing a lot of Middle Earth 3rd Age for Medieval 2 Total War, so I have tweaked this mod a bit to reflect some of the things I liked from that mod.

-Tweaked magic paths on Advisor

-Tweaked magic paths on Wise Woman

-Added Axeman

-Added Helminga (Capital Only)

-Fixed lingering issue with militia missing helmet, not sure how that escaped me.

-Riders of Rohan no longer have bows

-Added Skirmisher

-Linux Compatible (Casing)

ver 1.01 (hotfix)

-Weapon/armor bugs as a result of uploading incorrect version of the mod fixed.

-Typos in a few descriptions fixed

-All units who had "Light Lance" weapon now have "Lance" weapon. This fixes an issue where lances are considered ordinary weapons and not one time use weapons that receive charge bonuses.

-Precision on all mounted units except for priestess reduced to 9 or 8 depending on the training of the unit. This makes their archery capabilities on par with other mounted units in the game.

-King of Rohan now only has Castle Defense 25 instead of 32 which was an erroneous number due to the game reading the mod file wrong or not accepting a high value.

ver 1.00
Attached, is the first version of Rohan, an EA nation based on the nation of the same name from Lord of the Rings. I having taken care to keep the nation as close to the books/movies as possible, with very few liberties taken for balance purposes.

All the graphics are custom graphics I did by editing existing ingame graphics. I am very proud of the artwork I was able to do for this mod and the way it plays.

This nation is fairly balanced, a real powerhouse in the early game, but it's power wanes in the mid to late game. The AI plays this nation exceptionally well because the nation more or less is very straight forward.

Here is a list of the Pros and Cons of the nation

Pros:
Phenomenal Cavalry
Units rarely rout
Great protection
Mobility
Special starting commander

Cons:
Lacks high powered mages
Units are very resource intensive
Best units and mage are capital only
Average MR becomes an issue in the mid to late game

---------------------------------------------------

I love playing this nation while listening to the Rohan theme from Lord of the Rings. It is very fun to build massive amounts of Cavalry then charge into battle scattering the enemy. The fact that the King of Rohan starts off as a special commander that cannot be recruited if he falls in battle gives the unit more personality, I was actually sad when he accidentally stumbled upon Ink Pot End during one of my games, watching him gain afflictions over the months, who was going to be his heir?

I hope you guys have as much fun with this mod as I do. Feel free to bump the age of this mod to MA or LA as you prefer, All my nations are EA because normally I play all my custom nations in my single player games.

I look forward to any feedback you may have to offer
Attached Files
File Type: zip rohan.zip (143.7 KB, 923 views)

Last edited by Foodstamp; May 22nd, 2010 at 10:05 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foodstamp For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Major

Teraswaerto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rohan! version 1.00

Only taken a very brief look so far, but looks very cool. The idea of the King as starting commander is great.

But, I have to ask, why EA? Rohan would seem to fit into MA far better from pretty much every angle I can think of.
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Major General

Aye it would definitely fit better in another era. Feel free to change it. I play all my custom nations in EA so I can play them in the same game.

To change the nation to another era, open the rohan.dm file with notepad, look for #era 1, change that to #era 2 (or 3) depending on the era you want to play the nation in.

That reminds me! This nation replaces MA Vanheim. Sorry I had to replace a nation, but I am up to 14 nations now, so I am having to eliminate existing ones .

Enjoy
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:29 AM

Sergeant

BandarLover is on a distinguished road

DUUHN DUHN DUH-DUH-DUUHN!! It's more effective if you HEAR me trying to sing the LoTR theme...on second thought, no it's not.

Been playing a small game with this mod and Sombre's Arga Dis mod (will post my thoughts on that one later). Back to Rohan mod.

Excellent job on the graphics Foodstamp. You'd never know that this is your first real attempt at making your own graphics from scratch. Love the King unit as a starting commander.

I still don't really have thoughts on balance. I didn't notice anything being particularly overpowered or too expensive. Militia with some decent moral is nice. I think this is the first nation I've actually intentionally bought militia.

Great job, is what I'm driving at. Maybe some summons or other nation specific spells in a future release would help give it even more unique flavor.

Keep up the good work.
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:24 AM

Lieutenant General

Xietor is on a distinguished road

I took a look at it briefly, and will give it more play after i finish epic heroes, but here are my thoughts:

Great Graphics, I love the nation flag above each province, and the units, especially the calvary which are the heart of the race.

Starting troops seem well above average, with tough calvary available from turn 1, and I have never seen a castle defense bonus of 37 before, but he is a king!
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Major General

From the horse's mouth (pardon the pun), "I KNOW HOW TO DEFEND MY OWN KEEP!"

I am glad you guys are liking the mod. The nation is very powerful to begin with. When you start facing combat spells, things begin to get rough though. Size 3 with average MR really hurts these guys.
Old May 12th, 2007, 11:49 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rohan! version 1.01 (Hot Fix, balance changes)

You could make three versions, one with the corresponding king in each era.

Foodstamp, I haven't had time to deeply study or playtest this yet, but it looks good, and is sort of my style, as I like trying to succeed with human troops.
Old May 13th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Major

Teraswaerto is on a distinguished road

You might have Eorl as the son of the king, and Helm as his uncle or brother, or rather heroes like them not but exactly them. Since it's not a total conversion with multiple LotR-nations and such, not tying the mod directly into any specific characters or time would be what I'd do.

Eowyn is the hero they currently have.
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:13 PM

Sergeant

BandarLover is on a distinguished road

Ah...haven't gotten Eowyn yet or even checked the DM file to see what is in it. Perhaps I should do that more often so I don't sound like an idiot.
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Major General

Teraswaerto, if you are interested in writing them up as heroes, I would be happy to add them. I can do the graphics if you like based on your descriptions, or you can do the graphics if you feel up to the task.

I think what I am going to do to round this mod out is give them spell songs (as suggested) based on holy magic, and I am going to bump up Eowyn's holy level.

Bandar, if you would like to write up one of your suggested heroes, I would be interested in adding one of them too. That will bring the total hero count to 5.

With 5 heroes, and holy songs, I think Rohan will have it's identity without moving too far away from the LOTR theme of the nation.