Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Mod Magic Site Mod version 1.00 - Page 13 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old January 27th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Magic Site Mod version 1.00

Stavis, for reference purposes did you make any other changes?
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

In the zip file, there are 2 .dms. The first has only the changes that were referenced in your post, plus I changed the version to 1.01 and indicated that you and I had add'l input in the description. There are no other changes.

The 2nd (which was done primarily for my own purposes) removes all units that were not just copies of vanilla units, and sites whose only attribute was to allow their recruitment (may have missed some of those, but hopefully.) The unit recruitment lines in the sites are still there, but commented, while the monster/weapon/armor stat blocks are deleted.
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:42 AM

Corporal

Joelz is on a distinguished road

Have you considered changing the number of some sites to allow this be used with no conflicts along custom nation mods?
Pwetty pwetty pwease
Old January 27th, 2010, 05:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelz View Post
Have you considered changing the number of some sites to allow this be used with no conflicts along custom nation mods?
Pwetty pwetty pwease
The problem is that there are a great number of custom nation mods, and they are not at all consistent about which site ids they use. See Gregstrom's mod compatibility index for specifics (although I don't think it's been updated for the latest CBM.) Getting this many sites to not conflict with *any* nation mod is a difficult, if not impossible, task.

That said, for a specific set of mods it's fairly easy to renumber the conflicts in either this or the nation mod.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stavis_L For This Useful Post:
Old January 27th, 2010, 05:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfb View Post
Having a blood site underwater is unthematic.

Also, having a blood site possible in the water is broken, since LA Mictlan is pretty much the only nation that will ever find it (while looking for H). It screws with the real UW nations because they aren't supposed to be able to blood hunt UW, so if the site appears, it's replacing a site that could be found and eating up a site slot.
The site in question is 871, which is, now that I look again, actually path 8 (holy). HoneyBadger's original submission was for a blood site though; perhaps (since I think this was supposed to represent a set of small, low lying islands) it would be better to make the site coastal and change back to blood? Anyway, I don't see any water based blood sites in the latest version.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stavis_L For This Useful Post:
Old January 28th, 2010, 08:30 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

If you pick a block range of site IDs that conflicts with the fewest number of the /popular/ mods (CBM, Nation mods, etc) then post in the threads of the conflicting mods where they are still active, asking for a site ID to be moved and suggesting a currently free alternative, you could make the mod clash free with the minimum of hassle.

Making it clash free with every mod is impossible, so I'd only worry about the popular ones. I think this mod could happily lay claim to block range of about 200 IDs or something and the mod manual/user documentation on this forum could be updated to reflect that those are reserved for giant site mods.

After all 99% of mods use like 1 or 2 site IDs, so it's no big deal to move them or have less available.

I'd happily edit my mods to move the IDs to avoid clashes if you pick out a specific range that belongs to site only mods (not just this one, but any further compilation site mods). This isn't something I'm willing to do for other nation mods, but as I say this would represent very little work on my part and since this mod could potentially be very popular, would be worth it.
Old January 29th, 2010, 02:32 PM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

The compatibility index has IIRC a set of suggested block ranges.

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.