.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space > Scenarios and Mods

Old March 13th, 2010, 01:44 AM

Private

meKanicalj3sus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Updated: Drives 'R' Us v4.0

awesome work!

'i like to re-hydrate whilst i de-hydrate*'
Old August 20th, 2010, 04:46 AM

Private

CobaltSorcerer is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Updated: Drives 'R' Us v4.0

Just a thought for a tweak:
On the Lummox Ranch quest, if you arrive at the ranch with both lf_lumstal and dv_preglum, have the owners offer to "buy" the mated pair. Maybe with another item that can be opened (maybe a variation on it_plastic to make it an openable crate? dv_plastic?) to give a couple of random items as "payment" like you have for the stud fee?

I'd do it myself, but I'm literally brand new to the game and just now starting to get "modding fever" so I'm winging it as I go.

Fantastic mod by the way. I love your work!
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:40 PM

Private

Lost In Space is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

Drives R Us is my favorite mod. While playing a game a few minutes ago, I ran into a bug when meeting the Muktians. I think I had already discovered their homeworld when I got this message. Found it funny more than anything, since it didn't hurt my game.

Screenshot is included below.

Keep up the good work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WW_message_bug.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	10464  
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:18 AM

Sergeant

sgqwonkian is on a distinguished road

I wondered at the time if maybe it was a bad idea to include a star name that was a 140-digit mathematical expression in Russian.

Seriously though, that's an fairly amusing glitch. I hope it's not because of something I did.

Thank you for sharing.

If anyone else gets a similar message, I ask that they please comment here so I can know I have debugging work to do. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that would have caused that text error, so I don't want to spend time searching for it unless I know it's recurring.
Old September 16th, 2010, 05:45 PM

Private

Sgqwonkian,

When you find the green mind-controlling woman, it seems that dropping her off on a planet doesn't free you from the negative end-game effects that follow through when you normally bring her back to Hope. To better show the effect her appearance has on a game, I recommend you block her in the inventory so that the player isn't led to believe he got rid definitely of her curse. If you can't do that with a guest, well... maybe it could be done if she was presented as an inventory item, or its identity changed to such, to get rid of this bug.
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:41 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost In Space View Post
Sgqwonkian,

When you find the green mind-controlling woman, it seems that dropping her off on a planet doesn't free you from the negative end-game effects that follow through when you normally bring her back to Hope. To better show the effect her appearance has on a game, I recommend you block her in the inventory so that the player isn't led to believe he got rid definitely of her curse. If you can't do that with a guest, well... maybe it could be done if she was presented as an inventory item, or its identity changed to such, to get rid of this bug.
I don't believe you actually left her on a planet. It may have seemed like it at the moment, but she was using hypnotic mind-control powers on you at the time, right? So you may think you left her on a planet somewhere, but either you didn't actually, or else being left there was all part of her plan for galactic domination.

It's been several months since I've done any WW modding, but if I recall correctly, there's no way to prevent someone from removing an object from their cargo hold. Doesn't matter if it's a passenger or an item. If I put the flag on it that prevents you from selling the item (like the Klakar Miracle Cream in Phlagm's mod, for example), you can still dump it on an uninhabited planet. That's always going to be a possibility.

There's also no way to reliably make an event trigger based on dumping an item in this way. The game has no way to detect if an item has been added to a planet, and no way to remove an item from a planet. Once it's left your ship, the game can't do anything with it until/unless you pick it up again.

So, the choice then for the mod designer is whether the player should be able to get free easily and automatically, or if they should have to work to get rid of the danger. I chose to go with the more challenging route. Let's face it, if a possible solution is dumping her on the very planet you found her on, within seconds of falling under her spell, that's not much of a challenge (nor much of a spell).

Once you've fallen under her sway, there are at least three ways to escape it, and offloading her at a random planet is not one of them.
Old October 25th, 2010, 04:13 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgqwonkian View Post
It may have seemed like it at the moment, but she was using hypnotic mind-control powers on you at the time, right? So you may think you left her on a planet somewhere, but either you didn't actually, or else being left there was all part of her plan for galactic domination.
To be fair, I did leave her a lump of bread and an icicle, so I'm sure she'll manage just fine.

Thanks for the explanation and the clue, I didn't really consider there were ways to counter her hypnotic control.
Old December 14th, 2010, 08:56 PM

Private

Circe came back with a vengeance, in one game. She brought her twin sister. I'm not sure what happened, but the event somehow played twice, so we got an extra guest aboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Circe Twins.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	10716  
Old December 15th, 2010, 12:01 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost In Space View Post
Circe came back with a vengeance, in one game. She brought her twin sister. I'm not sure what happened, but the event somehow played twice, so we got an extra guest aboard.
I'm uploading a fixed version right now. This 4.1 version corrects the Circe bug you noticed, plus two minor cosmetic flaws that have been bugging me for the past week or two.
Attached Files
File Type: zip drivesrus4.1.zip (6.11 MB, 211 views)
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:46 PM

Corporal

chabex is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Updated: Drives 'R' Us v4.1

Keep it going my man!
:-D