.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space > Scenarios and Mods

Old December 31st, 2010, 07:25 PM

Private

nicklemarr is on a distinguished road
Medal My first public mod.

First off, please excuse my grammer and/or spelling. My English isn't great.

Okay, this thread is to gauge interest in one of my mods. I have quite a few that are in development, and I was thinking about releasing at least one of them.

The one I am thinking of releasing is called "Weird Worlds: Warfare"

It features a very large departure from the science-fiction, space-opera feel of the WW. It's more of a more realistic military combat simulator. I have a feeling most people won't like this mod, since it isn't at all what the developers intended. But I hope some of you like it.

I am not going into too a lot of detail, but let me say that there are no planets, stars, suns, blackholes, anything of that sort. There are, however, lots of tanks, military bunkers, aircraft, turrets, and the like. It takes place on Earth in a different dimension. The main players are US, China, Russia, and one hidden faction as well as one secret faction.

I don't want to give away my secrets, butI am having difficulty with the art as it is the most difficult part; I have absolutely no talent in that area. I am attaching a little preview of some of the aircrafts in the game.

Yet again, I haven't decided if I want to release it. I assume that most modding for WW is dead. There isn't that much going on and there is no hopes of resurrecting it I don't care about being popular for my mods, I just want people to enjoy what I have been enjoying myself.

Let me know if anyone is interested. I also have a bunch of mods going on right now, so development of spread thin on my side; I am but one man.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aircraft Demo.gif
Views:	489
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	10732  
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:23 AM

Corporal

ExplorerBob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My first public mod.

Sounds interesting.

I'm more of a space opera fan myself, but if properly done, this could be a revolutionary mod. People've talked about doing non-space mods in the past, but to my knowledge, so far, no one has actually worked on any

I wish the WW community was more active, but there's not much I or anyone else, except for the developers, can do about that...still, if you make it, I'm sure that someone will play it (I'd like to give it a try myself).
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:35 AM

Private

Smile Re: My first public mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerBob View Post
Sounds interesting.

I'm more of a space opera fan myself.... (I'd like to give it a try myself).
Well I also have almost complete one set in space. It gets rid of all the stock races except Terrans. The universe is a lot more colonized. There is a Republic of alien races. Terrans being the newest addition, as well as taking the role of voluntary enforcer for the Council. A specific alien race breaks the Republic's laws of peace; That's pretty much where the story begins. You get to play as one of three races. TONS of additions in the items/ships categories, but no new sounds.

I am sorry about the format of this reply but I am house sitting for a friend and am writing this on my phone. I would be willing to give you a litte beta test once Sqwonkian (sp?) helps me with a little problem. (I am inundated with line after line of text due to the amount of work there is to 4 full fledged mods and various minor mods)
Old January 2nd, 2011, 12:04 AM

Corporal

Sounds cool!

If you don't mind my asking, what problem are you having, that's holding things up? I don't have the same level of experience as sgqwonkian does, but maybe I could still help figure it out.

Also, if you want sound effects, there's a nifty little sound generator app here:
http://www.superflashbros.net/as3sfxr/

I can't promise you that it's the answer to your problem, but the stuff you can make with it is definitely better than nothing. I used it myself to create a sound for the new molecular disruptor in OA v003.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:51 PM

Private

Medal Re: My first public mod.

Quote:
If you don't mind my asking, what problem are you having, that's holding things up?
Well, it's just general debugging. I get an SDL failure when loading the galaxy, but unfortunately the verbose log doesn't have any specific files that I could peek at, so I was going to ask him to give the mod a general look over; I have tried contacting him here and his personal blog to no avail though.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:48 AM

Corporal

sgqwonkian has a lot of stuff on his hands, and so; it hasn't always been easy for me to get in touch with him either, in the past few months. He will eventually respond, but it could take some time.

If you want, I could dig up a copy of WW from my non-broken machine and look over your mod, to see if I can find the problem. I don't have anything better to do with Weird Worlds right now anyway, since the computer that broke down is my main development machine and I don't have access to Odd Adventures v003 right now.

Other than looking at it in person, I'm afraid I can only give you general advice: 1) SDL relates primarily to sound and graphics, I think, and sgqwonk once said that those are the primary causes of most WW crashes. Thus, it's most likely a problem with either the graphics themselves, or, more probably, an item that tries to reference a picture that doesn't exist.

(When I say "doesn't exist", I mean in the eyes of the game. A misplaced colon, parentheses, or letter could ruin the game's ability to find a graphic file.)

2) Since your mod presumably stopped working at some point, it makes sense to go back to the last-modified items, look over them, and see what's different from normal Weird Worlds, or other mods that work. I've often compared my mod to things that do work, when I experience problems...as bad as WW's documentation can be sometimes, that's a key step of any bug-fixing process.

3) If you do everything above, and look through everything and none of it seems to have any problems, I guess you could just remove files into special "debug" folders, one at a time, until the mod finally loads. When it does, take another look at the last item you removed; that'll almost undoubtedly be the source of the problem.

Last edited by ExplorerBob; January 3rd, 2011 at 09:56 AM..
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:01 PM

Private

Wink Re: My first public mod.

Quote:
sgqwonkian has a lot of stuff on his hands, and so; it hasn't always been easy for me to get in touch with him either, in the past few months. He will eventually respond, but it could take some time.

If you want, I could dig up a copy of WW from my non-broken machine and look over your mod, to see if I can find the problem. I don't have anything better to do with Weird Worlds right now anyway, since the computer that broke down is my main development machine and I don't have access to Odd Adventures v003 right now.

Other than looking at it in person, I'm afraid I can only give you general advice: 1) SDL relates primarily to sound and graphics, I think, and sgqwonk once said that those are the primary causes of most WW crashes. Thus, it's most likely a problem with either the graphics themselves, or, more probably, an item that tries to reference a picture that doesn't exist.
Yes, I understand that, but you are misunderstanding the scale of my games. In (this mod) I have none of the original items or quests. Nothing is original. All item/ships/races/planet/quests are custom made by me. So it's not like I can just look at the last items I changed. I am a very efficient worker and most of my work (on this mod) was done within 24 hours.

But yea, I understand what the SDL failure is from, it's just like I said, I am working on multiple things and I wanted him to take a look. It's not that big a deal, I could fix it if I sat down for an hour and worked, but my mind in is not in that games universe. I am focusing on some other mods for WW as well as other mods for other games.
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:49 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklemarr View Post
Yes, I understand that, but you are misunderstanding the scale of my games. In (this mod) I have none of the original items or quests. Nothing is original. All item/ships/races/planet/quests are custom made by me. So it's not like I can just look at the last items I changed. I am a very efficient worker and most of my work (on this mod) was done within 24 hours.
24 hours, eh? Not bad.

Well, if you want to send it over to me, I might be able to fix it... it seems it'd be convenient for both of us, since I don't have any WW projects I can work on right this second, so I have the time to try to patch up any bugs, and I'd like to get a look at the mod anyway.
Old January 5th, 2011, 06:36 PM

Private

Lost In Space is on a distinguished road

I decree ExplorerBob to be employee of the month, for his benevolent and helpful attitude, and for generally being a cool guy to hang around with.

As for this new mod: sounds interesting. I wonder how it plays, especially in consideration of the limitations of the battle engine.
Old January 6th, 2011, 09:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklemarr View Post
Yet again, I haven't decided if I want to release it. I assume that most modding for WW is dead. There isn't that much going on and there is no hopes of resurrecting it I don't care about being popular for my mods, I just want people to enjoy what I have been enjoying myself.
Not dead but dreaming. It's just that the game was released over five years ago, so you won't see the same level of work as when something is new. That said, in the five years it has been a consistent seller, so there are lots of people still discovering and playing it so I'm sure your mod will be welcomed.

Definitely sounds cool and personally it's great to see someone trying out a conversion.