BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old May 20th, 2006, 07:39 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road
Default Soviet Campaigns

I have taken part of the "German Biased" thread and started this one because I thought it needed a fresh start. I quoted Smersh (hope that was ok) to help get the thread rolling.

Quote:
Smersh said:I guess your right,Mobhack. it could be the lack of very detailed battalion level information, but there are plenty of translated soviet materials, or at least enough information to estimate how battalions would have behaved during some of the more famous battles (most campaigns are probably not 100% historically accurate, but focus more on making it fun to play).
Some of it also has to do with access to topographic maps of the time period. Sure, large operational maps are OK for large unit locations and such BUT if you want to create accurate maps you really need access to detailed maps of the area of about 1:50000 scale. I'm not sure how many are out there and the ones that are have all the info in Russian.

Perhaps if we had some volunteer Russian translators to help out something may get worked on.
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:57 PM

Sergeant

Smersh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Soviet Campaigns

This is a good start:

If you have any maps at that scale, I can attempt to translate them.

I'm also getting in touch with dorrach who did the russian steel campign to see if he has any tips for designing for the soviet pov.

I was looking at some Operation 'little saturn'offensive info (took placearound the don/stalingrad area against the italion 8th army in december of 1942), . if we were to model this historically accurate, we would have to have a division sized force in a 2-3km sector. it also talks about 43 gun tubes per km (20 hexes). this is something that has to be addressed.

I'm sure there are plenty of maps of stalingrad at the right scale, a campign could focus on offensive operations to "liquidate" the 6th army stalingrad pocket. hard fighting for both sides here. could be interesting.
Old May 20th, 2006, 08:44 PM

Major

Quote:
Smersh said:I was looking at some Operation 'little saturn'offensive info (took placearound the don/stalingrad area against the italion 8th army in december of 1942), . if we were to model this historically accurate, we would have to have a division sized force in a 2-3km sector. it also talks about 43 gun tubes per km (20 hexes). this is something that has to be addressed.
Might be hard to do at the SP level. Too many units can overburden the average player. For "playability" best to keep it as manageble as possible for the players. Right now I am looking at a Rifle Battalion as the core force even if that requires smaller maps of maybe 50x50.
Quote:
Smersh said:I'm sure there are plenty of maps of stalingrad at the right scale, a campign could focus on offensive operations to "liquidate" the 6th army stalingrad pocket. hard fighting for both sides here. could be interesting.
True but . . most everyone that does East Front seems to do Stalingrad stuff. I'm looking at something other than Stalingrad. Right now I am looking for some different areas and it may take a little time to get together what I need and settle on a particular area/unit, etc.

In any event, thanks for the offer to help translate. Tghis is just at the idea stage so far and will obviously need a lot of work but I think it is do-able.
Old May 20th, 2006, 08:49 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Hmm - thinks - how about some Black Sea/Crimea operations, as then you have the opportunity for water-borne landings. On the Eastern Front, those were rare but did happen.

Cheers
Andy
Old May 20th, 2006, 08:56 PM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road

From the Soviet perspective the fighting to reduce the Kuban bridgehead and the subsequent landings across the Kerch straight would allow for some very interesting scenario's indeed. Off course, it is related to the Stalingrad campaign...
Old May 20th, 2006, 09:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Veliki Luki

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:26 PM

Sergeant

thats one possibility, it could be interesting designing a campign around "the battle of crimea".

-like you said, water-borne landings (nothing like d-day of course, crimea much more shallow then the english channel )

-and the liberation, retaking of sevastapol could be interesting.

like double deuce said it could be some time before we narrow down to a particular area.

I think the limiting factor as the "german baised?" general consensus showed would be finding maps and information on the area. not to say certain areas would be "impossible".
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:31 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Double_Deuce said:
Quote:
Smersh said:I was looking at some Operation 'little saturn'offensive info (took placearound the don/stalingrad area against the italion 8th army in december of 1942), . if we were to model this historically accurate, we would have to have a division sized force in a 2-3km sector. it also talks about 43 gun tubes per km (20 hexes). this is something that has to be addressed.
Might be hard to do at the SP level. Too many units can overburden the average player. For "playability" best to keep it as manageble as possible for the players. Right now I am looking at a Rifle Battalion as the core force even if that requires smaller maps of maybe 50x50.
that was my point some battles had very huge concentrations of particulary infantry, a 50x50 map would be around 2.5km, like I said in some instances, a whole division would be fighting in an area that big. although probably not all at once.

but, I agree that it should definetly be kept at a battalion level just for playabily reasons.
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:49 PM

Major

Not sure about others but when I do a campaign I try to concentrate on the telling of a story while still trying to keep the game fun for the player. By the time the campaign ends the player should have grown attached to his "men".

I like my campaigns to be based on history but not necessarily historically accurate, if that makes sense.
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:29 PM

Sergeant

good philosphy