Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old April 9th, 2010, 12:36 PM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road
Default Artillery observer selection issue

Using version 5 with CD game.

Playing scenario 224 Jerstal Defense.

When selecting the B0 unit (artillery observer) and then hitting the artillery button on the right side of the screen I go to the artillery menu but instead of B0 it has A0 selected as the observing unit. But it only happens if you've first accessed the HQ screen in the game.

Included is a save game for the start of the turn so you'll have to go to the HQ screen first.

Narwan
Attached Files
File Type: zip FO selection issue.zip (322.1 KB, 49 views)
Old April 9th, 2010, 04:34 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,695 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Artillery observer selection issue

I tried to recreate this with that sceanrio and couldn't.

I followed the same steps you outlined by first going to the HQ menu, finding the B0 FOO then existing the HQ menu then pressing the artillery button on the right side of the screen and when I do the report at the bottom the arty screen is:

Spotting Unit is B0> FO Team

Don
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:27 PM

Captain

Started with a fresh scenario to find out how I got there (I actually spend a long time getting out of it when I first bumped into it!).

From a fresh scenario select B0, press H, exit screen, press B and the observer selection jumps from BO to A0. Does that every time I try it.
The order in which you do this is important! If you first press H and the select BO etc it won't happen.

Same thing happened when I tried that sequence in other scenario's (including some that came with previous patches).

Narwan
Old April 10th, 2010, 07:41 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Can confirm does happen on occasion I check calling unit now just in case.
Not patch related happened for ages but very rare, I buy FOOs first so to find use headquarters screen & then N P to scroll through FOOs & call fire.
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:16 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by narwan View Post
From a fresh scenario select B0, press H, exit screen, press B and the observer selection jumps from BO to A0. Does that every time I try it.
The order in which you do this is important! If you first press H and the select BO etc it won't happen.

Narwan

When you press H to get to the HQ menu after already having selected B0 you are cancelling your selection of B0.

Part of the "problem" is that everyone else is loaded into transports. If you unload E0 then go through your procedure then secect E0 from the HQ menu when you exit and press B you will have E0 as the spotter just as you would IF you had selected B0 from the HQ menau instead of doing nothing

This is not a "bug".

Don
Old April 10th, 2010, 10:00 AM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
When you press H to get to the HQ menu after already having selected B0 you are cancelling your selection of B0.
Hmm, I don't think you're cancelling the selection of the BO unit when entering and exiting the HQ screen. The HQ screen itself has the BO unit already selected when entering and when exiting the HQ screen the B0 unit is still selected as the active unit in the bottom of the screen.
If I left click on a hex the B0 unit moves towards it. If I select the area-firing option it's the B0 unit that fires at the hex. So the B0 unit is still the selected unit after leaving the HQ screen. The only thing you cannot do is use it to call arty, then (and only then) selection reverts to the A0 unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post

If you unload E0 then go through your procedure then secect E0 from the HQ menu when you exit and press B you will have E0 as the spotter just as you would IF you had selected B0 from the HQ menau instead of doing nothing

Don

You're adding a step there by selecting the E0 unit in the HQ screen. If I unload the E0 unit, go to the HQ screen, then exit (or click only the show/hide formations ID button and then exit), the E0 will still be the active unit. If I then select B selection reverts to the A0 unit. It's the same as my example above for the B0 unit. No different.

Just to be clear, when entering the HQ screen I'm not selecting any unit in the HQ screen itself! I only go there to click the show/hide button.

BTW I tried this with scenario 238 as there are no loaded units there to complicate things. Same results.

I can reselect the B0 unit and then go the artillery screen and plot arty with it. So that is a simple workaround if and when this happens. However, when I first encountered this I was in the middle of a turn and that workaround did not work. It was the first thing I tried but the artillery screen kept selecting the A0 whatever I did. Apparantly something else complicated things. I don't know what but I only got out of it by saving the game and then reloading.
In that game I had gone to the HQ screen early in the turn to make it show the formation ID's. I did all sorts of stuff afterwards and near the end I wanted to plot my arty and selected the B0 observer unit. And this problem appeared. So somehow it did 'remember' it all through the turn.

Narwan
Old April 10th, 2010, 02:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by narwan View Post

Just to be clear, when entering the HQ screen I'm not selecting any unit in the HQ screen itself! I only go there to click the show/hide button.

This is about as non an "issue" as I can imagine .

You do one thing ( select the B0 to spot ) then, instead of calling up the bombardment window, you do another thing ( enter the HQ menu ) then another thing (click the show/hide button ) then another thing ( exit the HQ screen ) then wonder why the game lost track of your spotting unit ?

How about this..... spend 2/10's of a second to click on the B0 unit after you've done all the other things BEFORE you exit the HQ menu

OR ( even better )

don't enter the HQ menu at all, simply press the 5 key to show/hide the unit ID detail and the game will happily remember it was the B0 unit that was the spotter.

Don
Old April 11th, 2010, 05:49 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How about this..... spend 2/10's of a second to click on the B0 unit after you've done all the other things BEFORE you exit the HQ menu

OR ( even better )

don't enter the HQ menu at all, simply press the 5 key to show/hide the unit ID detail and the game will happily remember it was the B0 unit that was the spotter.
Hence reason never mentioned