This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Ibology > Approaching Infinity

Old February 25th, 2015, 03:27 PM

First Lieutenant

ibol is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Feature requests

(goes back to find all the posts about "there aren't enough warnings when my captain is about to die!"...)

An option it will be.
Your cries I have heard.

And I should add here, about the "GAMMA":
AI is made with third-party software, and there simply is no "gamma setting" option in the language.
Old February 25th, 2015, 09:03 PM

Corporal

Lord Felix is on a distinguished road

You mean you didn't write it all from scratch in Assembler?

1. As I said above, gamma tweaking is bad. But wouldn't it be easy to add a line that says, in pseudo-code, if user presses w, all unseen squares become all bright white?

2. On an unrelated note, are there some devices that can be obtained only after certain sectors, achievements, etc.? I ask because about the best device I've seen in many games is the Machine Shop, a ship device that can be installed to increase crafting quality. I've only ever seen it once, although I've seen other devices MANY MANY times.

In my current game, I'm at sector 44, in a super-sweet spot on a faction quest where I can keep quitting and saving and then continuing (with no cheating at all) and I have an INFINITE number of small ships that can't touch my shields, so I can chew up hundreds of them without breaking a sweat. Since I have the Profiteering 2 skill, and also because of the way these guys are programmed, I'm getting an infinite number of credits and an infinite number of devices, components, and sometimes schematics. Great exploit! I was supposed to kill 10 of the ships for the faction quest, and perhaps the designer thought I'd race back then to turn in the quest. He he.

HERE'S My QUESTION: Is there any point in continuing with this? Is there any hope of getting a Machine Shop drop from these guys?
Old February 27th, 2015, 01:43 PM

Private

phanatic62 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibol View Post
(goes back to find all the posts about "there aren't enough warnings when my captain is about to die!"...)

An option it will be.
Your cries I have heard.
Sorry, I didn't mean to give mixed signals. In my case my away team had 100% health and between 50%-25% oxygen and it was alerting me every other step that my captain was in danger. Obviously context is important for these warnings, but I feel like in my case they were a bit aggressive. Especially in the early game you're regularly getting low on oxygen, and the low O2 warning already seems to serve that function.

You said you're making it an option, and that's much appreciated. Perhaps a High-Medium-Low setting so players with different risk tolerances will be happy?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phanatic62 For This Useful Post:
Old February 27th, 2015, 03:19 PM

First Lieutenant

Hi, Felix,
1. I already mentioned in a previous post that I would handle it in (approximately) that way. When I mentioned "3rd party / gamma", it was only to explain to the community *why* I would not just give them a gamma setting.

2. yes, devices are "sector controlled" , with some variation / danger-weighting (being in a dangerous area or on a dangerous quest, gives a bonus to the 'level' of the things that you can find.

Hi, Phanatic,
I think this kind of back-and-forth haunts all game development... different people, different situations, different desires... Trying to listen to (and incorporate) player feedback has always been a high priority... it's just the question of what to do when that feedback is conflicting...

And thanks very much for your RPS support!

Adopt, adapt, and improve!
Old March 16th, 2015, 04:22 PM

Sergeant

Narrew is on a distinguished road

Would like to have Spelunker have an ability to clear Cave-ins. I was in a cave that necked down to 2 squares wide, with 1 square being a trap, glad it triggered as I walked up to it even with Light Step, since it triggered a cascade of of other cave-ins that blocked access to the next cave. I would hate to have been on the other side and not be able to get out, though I did look longingly at the next cave entrance and dreamed about what I was missing out on
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Narrew For This Useful Post:
Old March 16th, 2015, 10:02 PM

First Lieutenant

That is a brilliant use for "spelunker 3" ... I put it on my list!
Old March 17th, 2015, 08:51 AM

Private

Chris Steadman is on a distinguished road

That is an excellent idea.

I have had similar happen, but on a shipwreck, where a short circuit stopped me getting back to the airlock
Old March 17th, 2015, 01:17 PM

First Lieutenant

yeah, I've noticed that happening myself, and put in a little code to try to prevent it... NOT a good way to end your game...
Old April 6th, 2015, 08:19 AM

Private

Tarkh is on a distinguished road

As I understand, the crew size affects only the size of away team. Maybe there would be another stats that crew size would affect? I don't know, something like ship speed, fire accuracy or something else suggested by logics - to encourage players to have their crews at max?
Another feature: I guess, the away team doesn't spend supplies on its mission (when firing, for example). But why?
Old April 6th, 2015, 03:14 PM

Private

Tarkh is on a distinguished road

Well, and I think it would be logical to spend supplies while doing landing-departing-landing planet-exploring cycle (with Shuttle Ace chosen) - just for paying for such useful skill.