.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 8th, 2008, 11:01 AM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Djinnibad - Nomads and Genies

EA: nomads (desert dwelling) ruled by Djinni etc

general nomad stats
prefer heat 1
normals stats except for: attack skill, defense skill: 12, MR: 11)
wasteland survival
all infantry strat move 2 (cavalry strat move 3 (maybe camels only 2) and carpets as all flying creatures)

Troops
Nomad warrior (scimitar, chaff)
Nomad horse warrior (light cavalry, no lance, scimitar)
Nomad horse archer (ligth cavalry, short bow)
Nomad camel rider (medium cavalry; supply bonus 2; no lance, scimitar)
Whirling dervish warrior (2 attacks, medium infantry, high attack/defense skill)
Whirling dervish rider (2 attacks, medium cavalry, high attack/defense skill)
Whirling dervish warrior on flying carpet (2 attacks, medium infantry, high attack/defense skill, flying)

Roc rider: flying large creature relative high HP, strength etc, leaves roc when rider is killed

Sola sacred troop, magic being, flying
Jann sacred troop, magic being, ethereal; cap only

Commanders
Nomad scout; mounted scout, map move 3,
Nomad Wazir; 0 command, 2 S, researcher mainly (sage like)
Nomad Sheik; commander
Efriti sacred commander, magic being, F3E1, flying
Marid sacred commander, magic being, A3S1, flying
Efriti Sultan commander, magic being F3E3A1H1 ?100%FEAS; cap only, flying
Marid Grand-Wazir commander, magic being A3S3E1F1H2, 100% FEAS, 10% S, flying; cap only

weaknesses: only horse archers, weak priest, no heavy infantry or cavalry
Strength: strong magic, strong sacreds

To be continued

Note
maybe make the scout have a flying carpet.. if you have them scouting with it seems most logical (IMHO the troops with carpets will not be usefull, maybe I'll remove them even since hwo much of those carpets do we have anyway)

assassin saved for MA/LA
courtesan if needed probably LA, maybe MA
MA/LA no nomads any more
MA/LA not ruled by the magic beings anymore, maybe a few weaker amongst the commanders in MA, certainly not as sacred troops, maybe sacred summons though, the dervish could remain as sacreds then (their ancient and sacred "desert roots)
LA probably only as summons

no death or blood this age

PM I only wanted one of the sacred troops to be recruitable everywhere (the weakest I guess flying is weaker than etherealness right?)

In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.

Last edited by lch; August 26th, 2008 at 08:08 AM..
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:58 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Djinnibad - Nomads and Genies

Flying is useful but doesn't increase unit's killing power to much, but etherealness rules on almost anything, especially in the early game.

Flying raiding groups supported by raiding mages can be very powerful, but I guess that will be balanced by the nation's poor PD. I'd think that the PD having mostly unarmoured humans and some cavalry, while 20+ could have horse archers and camels.

It seems like the flying carpets could continue the theme of flying elite units in later eras, perhaps starting with multiple fliers/carpet like those Arcos chariot archers.
Old April 8th, 2008, 12:06 PM

Lieutenant General

hmmm actaully the nomads are not THAT bad as troops with higher def and att.. but indeed low armour (I guess they'll have leathers and some sort of helmet.

If I use them as PD will that be too strong? or should I create even weaker troops.. it kinda goes against my idea that all males know how to handle their saif well since it's sort of a status symbol
Old April 8th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Lieutenant General

I'm pretty sure I don't have the skills to makee the human troops sprites. If anyone would like to help.... all sprites will be appreciate also modification of above sprites will be appreciated.

For now I'd also like ideas on which sprites in the vanilla game resemble desert warriors most (or any of the units mentioned above)
Old April 8th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

Is it needed to re-post my previous comments here?
I might add that some genie races were actually VERY similar to Vans as we know and love them.
Researcher commander is fine, but I would think about giving him Air as base (Early Age there probably should be less mystics and more elemental mages).
Also, scimitar is fine weapon as such, but probably useless on chaff. While for camel-riders it would be very difficult to actually use them (remember how tall the animal is? ). I would use spears & light lances for infantry & cav, respectively. And for nomade race, light cavalry at least should be cheaper than normal.
As for magic carpets... I'd say they will become cheaper at later times, with big cities, and carpet-makers and mages dwelling in them... For early era it would probably be better to restrict flying to magic beings.
Roc rider.. I can't say I'm happy with this idea, but I can't also say it revolts me. Maybe it'd be better to reserve it to later era?
And what do you mean by weak priest? That genie nobility are costly as hell?
Old April 8th, 2008, 12:32 PM

Lieutenant General

yeah but not much good as priest really , so very expensive as as priests

what is wrong with scimitars on troops.. my scimitars at least are just swords really..

I agree that on camels they might be less usefull.. no idea what the troops on camals actually used though.

If it was your comment on the wrist movement it has been noted and will be adjusted ... when I feel like doing the efriti again.

BTW magic is less available i later ages so I'd figure less carpets then..
Old April 8th, 2008, 01:02 PM

Lieutenant General

can anyone tell me why this (I admit incomplete) mod doesnt'work yet.. plz explain so I get more insight in the modding stuff
Old April 8th, 2008, 02:13 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

I don't see any major mistakes there, and I can't test it ATM.

I have much more free time now, so I'll check out if I can whip some base unit sprites up. What would you like for looks? Would something similar to Nomads of Master of Magic be all right, should the clothes have spesific color, etc?
Old April 8th, 2008, 02:32 PM

Lieutenant General

no need to test... I didn't scroll down in the list so I could start... there where a ****load of typo's however so it's not use downloading it either..

The master of magic look is as far as I remember quite nice.. I'm thinking white for nomad and black for the whirling dervish.

When I do a turn it quits and says.. no holiness (attached a new zip)
Attached Files
File Type: zip 595807-Djinnibad - genies and nomads.zip (92.4 KB, 155 views)
Old April 8th, 2008, 03:53 PM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

Yes, I liked MoM Nomads, too.
On No Holyness - it's certainly so! see Marid Grand Wazir - he now gets Holy magic 2, but no holy attribute!
As for scimitars - they cost resources, man! (And from troopers point of view, they cost money which commoners can't really afford. Would YOU buy a sniper rifle for self defence - or settle for shotgun? The difference isn't exactly that, but close enough...) So you either have less troops without real effect on quality, or get some more of these - & in the case of cavalry, even better ones! Besides, as I've said, actual early Arabian armies did use spears & light lances and didn't use scimitars as main weapons (actually, iirc they got these weapons later from Persians... ). Elite melee troops certainly will use some kind of sword & scimitars are, after all, thematic, so I say it's better to keep such to them (&, by the way, camel riders mostly used bows & sometimes light lances).
On wrist movement it wasn't me... but the picture actually seems familiar, I just can't quite place it... & whoever said this said a sensible thing in any case, I am just not ready to offer my own variant of picture...
Well, flying scouts are very useful beasts... & in early era I think Djinnibad will be quite powerful already.
BTW, it's possibly better to change title of Efreet rulers, as Sultan title appeared later. They may also be Sheikh or Emir/Amir, or if we want to make them sound grander, Kalif (though the latter title has religious significance & so should probably be reserved for more powerful priests).
OT question - in my mod I currently found that the game just doesn't want to recognize 2 last descriptions. Could somebody say what can cause such effect? The mod itself is at (last post):
http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/thr...r=&postmarker=