.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 30th, 2008, 08:28 PM

Private

Ironlord is on a distinguished road
Default Moving Through Multiple Provinces

Is there a way to set a final destination target province for any army? For example, say I completely fill up two army's, and want to march them to my front, which is 10 provinces away. On average, depending on the nation and army, it would take about 5-7 turns to arrive, with me having to choose the route along the way and moving them each turn. Is there something that you can do to set up a final destination and have the army automatically march to it, with the ability to stop them on a turn if you need to detour them due to a rear attack or something similar?

This would be a nice change in game mechanics, especially in single player games. It would ease up micromanagement issues alot. Thanks.
Old October 30th, 2008, 08:34 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving Through Multiple Provinces

No, there's no such facility in the game. And it probably won't be added, too. While it of course would help with boring reinforcement marches, far too much can happen within one turn.
Emergency comic relief
The Following User Says Thank You to lch For This Useful Post:
Old October 30th, 2008, 08:37 PM

Private

Ironlord is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I was playing around with LA Ermor, and the drudgery of moving so many armies takes most of the turn.
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:24 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
No, there's no such facility in the game. And it probably won't be added, too. While it of course would help with boring reinforcement marches, far too much can happen within one turn.
And yet there's no reason why you couldn't go in on any given turn and change a long march order if you need to.

I really don't understand the resistance to this, as there are ONLY positives to doing it.
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:41 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by licker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
And yet there's no reason why you couldn't go in on any given turn and change a long march order if you need to.

I really don't understand the resistance to this, as there are ONLY positives to doing it.

Maybe only positives to you. There is a rather enormous negative, however - the dev time required to code in the capability for pathfinding and/or waypoints.

Sorry?
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:20 AM

First Lieutenant

Dragar is on a distinguished road

Is that really so onerous? Pathfinding has been around forever, surely it wouldn't be such a big deal? Removing micromanagement in the game for things like multi turn travel, repeat forgings and recruits, etc, would make it a lot faster and more enjoyable to play. Its unusual for a modern game not to have these features
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:40 AM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrison View Post
Maybe only positives to you. There is a rather enormous negative, however - the dev time required to code in the capability for pathfinding and/or waypoints.

Sorry?
Sorry for what?

I'm talking about the players obviously, while I appreciate the effort the devs put in, this is something that has been a request since FOREVER, so yeah, I don't get it, how hard can it be to do a waypoint check and notify you if your path is broken?

I dunno, maybe there is some bizarre reason why commanders cannot save orders from one turn to the next, other than that they actually already do it, so uhh, you got me.

Why?

And spare the 'time on this is time not on something else', while true, its completely beside the point. Mods can do alot, this would be actual assistance to the micro hell which does exist in this game. Same for adding a quick way to dump gems from commanders ala blood slaves...

The tools seem to exist in the game for some of these features to be implemented, so why not just do it?
Old October 31st, 2008, 01:31 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by licker View Post
And spare the 'time on this is time not on something else', while true, its completely beside the point. Mods can do alot, this would be actual assistance to the micro hell which does exist in this game. Same for adding a quick way to dump gems from commanders ala blood slaves...
The gem dump fix is an entirely different concept. That IS something that theoretically could be implemented with relatively minor tweaking of the code.

However, the entire module relating to strategy map movement would likely have to be rewritten from scratch, in order to move it from a "1 turn at a time, period" system, to a system that deals with multiple turn movement. There are too many factors to be looked at: terrain, flight, map move speed, stealth, ownership, etc. So it's nothing that can just be simply tacked on to the current system, and thus will not be seen in Dom3. Pray for it in Dom4, but seriously, with basically 1 person doing almost all of the actual coding of the game engine, there are other things I'd much rather see him work on, myself.
Old October 31st, 2008, 02:12 AM

First Lieutenant

Dragar is on a distinguished road

I personally can't think of anything I'd want more than improved interface and reduced micromanagement. The game already has wonderful depth, there are plenty of mods out to improve balance, and that can be done by the community. There are very few bugs really interfering with game play.

Reducing boring tasks should be priority number one in my opinion. In particular for SP games, it would make the game a lot more enjoyable.
Old October 31st, 2008, 03:04 AM

Corporal

Alderanas is on a distinguished road

haha your leading an empire you have to deal with the boring as well as the exciting. I bet every ruler has felt as you do now and besides you have it easier than they did. They had to rely on messengers all you have to rely upon is a good mouse click. Just take it in stride and go with it. It may be annoying but if it goes away there will just be a different annoying thing you find.

Last edited by Alderanas; October 31st, 2008 at 03:09 AM..