BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old September 13th, 2009, 02:26 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Transport for U.S. Patriot Units-Update!

[/b] First I REALLY hate to beat a dead horse and I'm sorry if someone gets upset for continuing an "old" thread (OT),
(Dated 10-03-08 and active now.) with a new one.
This transport issue has been bothering me for sometime (We never would have guessed!) especially after having been around the ones "we might or not be carrying" aboard the various classes of subs I've served on. What is the MOST basic thing needed to launch ANY missile? Yes - power! Who ever allowed the Dutch (see OT) to have transport whether he realized it or not was on the right track. By rights NONE of the Patriot systems in the game should work without it because the tractor supplies all the power required for the trailor to include launching the missiles.
Case in point, U.S. Patriot missiles (Through PAC/3 in use now.) are carried onboard the M860A1 semi-trailor specifically designed for the Patriot. It is transported in the field by the
M983 Tractor (Shown I believe as the U.S. Tank Transport Tractor in the game.). And like that card this missile DOESN'T leave home without it because the altenator of the M983 supplies the 100amp power needed for ALL launcher fuctions via the M860A1
semi-trailer. Therefore transport and launching are all inclusive. And it takes no longer to transport then field arty as the game operates now (Or how it treats the DUTCH Patriot units.) Also a modified M983 Tractor flat bed provides field supply and reloading capbilities.
I would refer you to the pictures (Many showing the two
together.) provided in the "OT" or online and JANE's Worlds Military Transport book which provided the power info among others. Also I found an excellent site @ FAS.ORG/SPP/STARWARS/DOCOPS/FM44-85/Appe.HTM that goes into detail on transport loading requirments for the M983 and
M860A1.
And look out for MEADS which will replace the Patriot. This is a joint U.S., German and Italian project. Essentionally MEADS is a Patriot PAC/3 on steriods on a mobile 5-ton truck platform capable of launching 12 missiles with, combat field reloading just like the Patriot. Will be in launch field testing in 2011 and expected to be fully operational and in the field by 2014.
Thanks for your time and patience!!!
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; September 14th, 2009 at 04:13 AM.. Reason: Ties title to the original post more effectively.
Old September 24th, 2009, 03:25 AM

Lieutenant General

Fallout Re: Transport for U.S. Patriot Units-Update!

Click image for larger version

Name:	USS Providence SSN-719  in  Narragansett Bay.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	8851 So here I am, just finished battle #2 as the USMC vs Russia. Completed the repair phase, changed a couple units, punched out and the AI wants me to play against Iran (One of my standard 17-21 gen battle campaigns over a years time.) for B3. Shop for support units and thought let me check out what the Marines are using for SAM Batteries (Patriots yes I know.) They come in two choices static (WRONG) and with prime movers (RIGHT) as I discussed above and in my original Patriot Transport post. As far as the U.S. is concerned normally the USA gets all the new toys before the USMC gets them. This just looks like an oversight issue and I would think it might be an easy fix(?) so that like the Dutch and the USMC, that all countries that possess the Patriot have the same capability as again referred to above. Just a thought with all due respect. Wished I could've caught this sooner, as mentioned in the MRAP post I've just never played this game using the USMC until this week after all these years.
With Regards and a Good Night,
Pat
P.S. Andy I do remember the post in the MRAP one where you indiciated this would be reviewed for the Winter. Can see if others already have the transport option available in the game beside the Dutch and USMC?

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; September 24th, 2009 at 03:37 AM..
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM

Lieutenant General

Default Re: Transport for U.S. Patriot Units-Update!

Good Morning! Some pictures as provided by GlobalSecurity.org.

Name:	Patriot M983 with M860A1 Semi LS.jpg
Views:	1013
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	8870 M983 with M860A1 Semi, note this system can be left unmanned and still be launched via data link (DLC) from a launch station.

Name:	M985E1 Patriot cargo truck..jpg
Views:	770
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	8869 This is the M985E1 its purpose is to provide resupply to Patriot Batteries in the field. It has it's own integral crane for transfer of the Patriots with a carry capacity of four missiles. It is designated as a Guided Missile hauler.

Hope this is useful.
V/R
Pat
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:40 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
Good Morning! Some pictures as provided by GlobalSecurity.org.
Attachment 8870 M983 with M860A1 Semi, note this system can be left unmanned and still be launched via data link (DLC) from a launch station.

Attachment 8869 This is the M985E1 its purpose is to provide resupply to Patriot Batteries in the field. It has it's own integral crane for transfer of the Patriots with a carry capacity of four missiles. It is designated as a Guided Missile hauler.

Hope this is useful.
V/R
Pat
Not really, for SP.

A SAM element simply is a representative element for the launcher. It is carried by a heavy truck (as patriots will be when we sort the carry cost).

The element can be assumed to contain any number of auxiliary vehicles, not represented in the game. All the game needs is something that launches a SAM. We don't care a whit if Sam-X has 2 APU vehicles, a tea trolley and 2 different fire control radars. Those are unnecessary detail that the game abstracts. Nor does SP have any concept of battery fire control, for SAM or arty. The launcher is "it" for game purposes, as is the individual "self-plotting" field gun for on-map indirect arty.

Cheers
Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:17 AM

Lieutenant General

Name:	USS Providence SSN-719  in  Narragansett Bay.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	8880
Andy,
Fully understand the need for "KISS" from the software and more importantly the play of the game. Just wanted to "illustrate" the point I was trying to make earlier in regard to the operational importance of the transport unit to the launcher and it's operation. It's all good!
Regards,
Pat
Old April 15th, 2010, 01:42 AM

Lieutenant General

Just thought it made sense to post further PATRIOT Pac-3/MEADS info here as some info has come to light in the testing area. This IS NOT to rehash old issues which I believe have been resolved in the 5.0 patch.
First a more recent overview of both programs:
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/meads/
And an update reported this month on the testing program:
http://www.defense-update.com/produc...2010.html#more
Pics:

Name:	PAC-3 Launch On The Way!.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	9904 Click image for larger version

Name:	PAC-3 target sequence..jpg
Views:	207
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	9905
Regards,
Pat
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:40 AM

Lieutenant General

MEADS in trouble? A little light reading that touchs on issues that have been discussed in threads before concerning new or joint weapons development issues.
http://www.defpro.com/daily/details/561/ this is from a fairly new source for me I've added to my arsenal.
Enjoy and have a great weekend!!
Regards,
Pat
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:39 PM

Corporal

Randy is on a distinguished road

I was wondering for the next patch if we could have pictures and icons of the HEMTT trucks for the US heavy truck. The current icons seem to be of a generic deuce and a half. Thanks
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:34 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I was wondering for the next patch if we could have pictures and icons of the HEMTT trucks for the US heavy truck. The current icons seem to be of a generic deuce and a half. Thanks
No. The heavy truck is generic 1946-2020, so any such icon or unit picture would be just wrong at the early years. And introducing another unit simply for "flavour" would use up a valuable unit slot in an extremely crowded OOB with hardly any free space left.

Andy
Old May 8th, 2010, 04:04 PM

Corporal

Randy is on a distinguished road

Ohh,OK. Well thanks for the reply though.