.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Land of Legends

Old August 17th, 2005, 05:25 PM

Private

Pips is on a distinguished road
Default Map Maker?

There is already a sub-forum titled Mods and Scenarios (with no posts), but I just wanted to ask to make sure that at some point toolsets will be released to the public to allow us to create new campaigns or skirmish maps (for online or offline play)?

Is there a general timeframe for when you think you might release these tools to the public?

Thanks! (Demo is awesome as I knew it would be!)
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:16 PM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Map Maker?

The subforums are default in our setup. There are some capabilities to mod the game, however a map editor wasn't feasible with the release unfortunately.
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:48 PM

Private

Does that mean no map editor ever? Or depends on sales of the game? Or it will definitely be released at some point?
Old August 17th, 2005, 10:33 PM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road

That's really up to the developer. There are complications because of the way the game is architected.
Old August 18th, 2005, 12:39 AM

Private

Wellllll since TinyHero.com now links to this forum page, where else can we ask the developers if/when this might be implemented?

This is an important issue for me; I could easily see myself losing interest with only a set number of maps (and 10 is a small number at that) to play on.
Old August 18th, 2005, 01:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

Hiro_Antagonist is on a distinguished road

Hi there. I'm the developer, and I definitely check in here. =)

We have no plans to add in a map editor, although this could change over time based on demand. Our plan is that when we eventually release the sequel, it will be fully modable.

We will be adding more multi-player maps in future patches. Land of Legends also has a 32-mission campaign with two levels of difficulty.

-Hiro_Antagonist
Old August 19th, 2005, 02:40 AM

Corporal

DarkStar is on a distinguished road

Too bad there isn't going to be a map editor.

Seems like an odd decision to allow users to 'mod' unit graphics and sound, a task not many would do, and not allow the user to make new maps for online play, something I think many users would do.

It's cool that new maps will be patched in later I guess.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 07:32 PM

Private

SargusBane is on a distinguished road

I agree with you. A map maker is a must for this game. Although the maps that we have now is good and the game seems to promise a good selection of maps once you can buy it. However, a 15 by 15 map just seems a little small to me and I would love to be able to create and play a larger map or a connected map (like pac-man). It would add a little extra flavor to the game and keep people interested. Also more races would be cool or even better yet the ability to create and submit races in to the game.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 09:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
DarkStar said:
Too bad there isn't going to be a map editor.

Seems like an odd decision to allow users to 'mod' unit graphics and sound, a task not many would do, and not allow the user to make new maps for online play, something I think many users would do.

It's cool that new maps will be patched in later I guess.
Well, it wasn't as much a conscious decision not to allow map-making, as it was a limitation of our budget.

Letting people play their own maps, and even their own full *mods* online was originally part of the design, but as time wore on, it became clear we just couldn't afford it for this version of the game.

But I feel strongly that what is there in the retail version of Land of Legends is good, and will keep our players busy for a very long time. Online play especially will keep advanced players challenged and entertained for many, many hours.

As for the graphics/sound modding, that came basically 'for free' in development, so we decided to offer those modding features was better than nothing.

That said, we are going to be expanding the functionality of LOL through patches. We will most likely not be able to offer full moddability, nor the ability to play custom maps online, but we are looking at allowing you to play custom maps in hotseat/AI skirmish mode, and also via play-by-email. That will hopefully come in our second patch, but no garauntees. We're also toying with the idea of letting players create their own single-player campaigns, with anywhere from 1-36 missions each.

Speaking of patches, we'll also be adding a lot of functionality with our first patch. You will be able to save and load skirmish/hotseat games and campaign missions, and as such, play-by-email games will be possible by emailing your hotseat save files back and forth. We've also added some new animations, a show-grid option, tons of keyboard shortcuts, and have made some time-consuming animations a bit faster. The first patch with these features should be available by the time the game is released on Sept 21.

Our plan at this time is to offer more (hopefully full) modability in LOL 2, but that won't be due out for quite some time.

But like I said, in the meantime I stand behind the fact the game is pretty darn fun, and has lots of content as it is! =)

-Hiro_Antagonist
Old September 3rd, 2005, 09:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
SargusBane said:
I agree with you. A map maker is a must for this game. Although the maps that we have now is good and the game seems to promise a good selection of maps once you can buy it. However, a 15 by 15 map just seems a little small to me and I would love to be able to create and play a larger map or a connected map (like pac-man). It would add a little extra flavor to the game and keep people interested. Also more races would be cool or even better yet the ability to create and submit races in to the game.
The 15x15 maps were chosen to keep games fast and to prevent players from spending time moving units that are never in any threat. In fact, supporting bigger maps, complete with the clickable mini-map in the sidebar, was the first 'complete' feature in the game. But after playtesting, I realized that games were too slow, action was too spread out, and things generally took too long. Playtesting showed that 15x15 maps accomplished my design goal of "trimming off all the fat" and I think that LOL is a much better game as a result.

Unfortunately there won't be any more races added to Land of Legends, but the 8 races that are there are very diverse, and 8 is already one of the largest number of vastly diverse races in any game on the market. (Though Dominions II beats us by a large margin )

-Hiro_Antagonist