.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old July 10th, 2005, 12:53 PM

First Lieutenant

Zooko is on a distinguished road
Default how do I create and scan random starting locations

I'm trying to set up a 10-player game, and I'm having some trouble configuring the game the way I want. For starters, is there any way to invoke dom2 and tell it to create a new game with certain nations? I can run this command line:

./dom2 -x --mapfile inland.map --research 2 --indepstr 9 --noscoregraphs --enablemod conceptp201.dm --enablemod concepts18.dm --enablemod conceptscale12.dm newtestgamenamewhee

... but it will create a game with no nations. How do I add nations from the command line? I need to do it from the command-line, because I have a computer program that needs to do it over and over several million times in order to generate a fair layout. :-)

Secondly, once I've generated a new game, how do I find out which provinces the nations are starting in? This information appears to be encoded in a binary ftherland file. What's the format of this file? Again, I have to do this from a computer program so that I can do it millions on times in a row. I can't manually load up the app, view the map, click on each starting spot, and type in the number of its province!

Thanks!
Old July 10th, 2005, 03:43 PM

First Lieutenant

Zooko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: how do I create and scan random starting locat

Well nevermind, I can hack around this issue by choosing random starting locations myself....