The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old December 18th, 2002, 11:32 PM

Major

Tim Brooks is on a distinguished road
Default Welcome, bring us your questions...

Hi All:

I was having a discussion the other day with someone about when we started Shrapnel Games three years ago. I realized, as I was discussing the good old days, that we (meaning Shrapnel) were alot more accessable in the early stages of the company. As we grew, we became "too busy". Well, I want that to change.

So, please stop by and ask us questions or just start a discussion - we like good conversations. I don't know if I can always answer your questions, but I will try and if I can't I'll tell you so.

Happy Gaming!
Old December 19th, 2002, 03:07 PM

Sergeant

Sniper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Welcome, bring us your questions...

Hey Tim!
This is another gr8 move for Shrapnel, who can do little wrong by me!

Couple of questions/remarks
1/ I'm a big fan of the EOFS universe and the old EOFS game. (By hollistic games) The game was bugged to heck and was horribly unbalanced (and unfinshed too if I remember right) but still, I'm a sucker for anyrhing strategic, turn based and if its techno-medeval then even better!! Is there any hope of seeing Shrapnel ressurect that project in anyway or form? I recall that some otha company is doing "Noble Armadas" but that looks suspicously like Starfleet Command to me.
Its a long shot I'm sure (Liscence and stuff) but I thought I'd put my voice foward.

2/ I live in the UK and buying games from Shrapnel is a little more expensive ($20 for UPS! oN top of the $40 or so for the game!) this usually works out to the price I'd pay for a new X-Box game here in the cold UK but still, it makes me buy less than I would. If we could buy from the UK it would make me alot happier to buy more often (For example, I want SEIV gold but already bought SEIV. I dont really want to spend however much for a game I essentialy already have, despite I know SEIV Gold is sooo much improved!)

3/ Lastly, keep up the Gr8 work. You guys give me hope that Stratedgy games (With real stratedgy in it, not just Tank-Rush) alive.

Have a great Xmas, Thanksgiving and New Years!

cheers from the UK
Old December 19th, 2002, 03:29 PM

Major

Tim Brooks is on a distinguished road

Hi Sniper:

Quote:
I'm a big fan of the EOFS universe and the old EOFS game.
I am infamiliar with this game - at least I can't figure it out from the EOFS. Care to help me out here?

Quote:
If we could buy from the UK it would make me alot happier to buy more often
We do have an Online distrubtor in the UK. This is SPS (http://www.strategic-plus.co.uk). You would need to check their pricing, sometimes, with import fees, the games can be more expensive than ordering direct from us (as you don't pay the import fees that a business would).

We are also starting to negotiate rates with UPS for the coming year. We take a look at shipping rates every January, so maybe things will change for the better rate wise. Although there are no guarantees here.

Quote:
Lastly, keep up the Gr8 work.
We will try! It gets harder and harder to find excellent PC Titles and when we do, alot of developers believe there is money at retail and want to go that route. The truth being, you can't make money at retail if you aren't a top 20 game (and we all know these positions are reserved for Barbies Playhouse III or SimWhatever ).

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you.
Old December 20th, 2002, 05:55 PM

Sergeant

Sniper is on a distinguished road

Hi Tim
EOFS was Empire Of The Fading Suns. It was by Hollistic games. It was released as a PC-CD game in 96 or 97 and made Abandonware in 2001. The EOFS universe is still being supplied in RPG form by the D20 System owned by the Wizards Of the Coast.
And I thought they stopped making RPGs?
He he
Ask around, someone will be able to clue u in on EOFS, ill stick a link on if u wanna investigate.
Thanx for reply!
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=367
Old December 20th, 2002, 10:54 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Just to save people some searching: the computer game was Emperor of the Fading Suns. Empire of the Fading Suns is the tabletop RPG that the computer game was licensed from.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old December 21st, 2002, 12:47 AM

Major

mlmbd is on a distinguished road

Sniper, Tim, capnq and anyone else, Hello!

There is also some discussion about EOFS on a thread here; http://www.shrapnelgames.com/cgi-bin...;f=23;t=007532

with other links, there as well!

Have a GREAT ONE!

mlmbd
Old December 22nd, 2002, 03:42 AM

Corporal

klausD is on a distinguished road

Empire of the fading sun, was one of the most genius computer wargames ever. Sadly this game was not really finished when it came out. There have also a been alot of bugs and inbalances.

The info adress is www.holistic-design.com

The game background is the conflict between pseudo-medevial human noble houses, church, guilds and several alien races. The stage was 30 or so different planets which where connected by giant hyperspace gates. The game has the post-technological flair of dune.

Every planet consist of a large civII-like surface, but instead of squares there has been hexes. Each of the hexes had its own terrain (mountain, swamps, plains, oceans etc.) and occasionally its special features (raw materials, roads, ruins etc.) This makes this games really BIG.

You could settle a planet with your own cities, but first it was sometimes good to eliminate the local minor noble houses with military force. The combat system was easy. Up to 20 units stacking, every unit type has its own firepower, initiative and defense value. (artillery, hovertanks, seals, space-cruisers, powered infantry, militia legions etc.) If stacks are meeting, they fight against other. The combat system leads to a balanced army mix.

There has been alot of more features. Technology can be forbidden by the church, but you can risk to research it secretly) Diplomacy, where every 10 years or so a new emperor is elected. The emperor gives some titles to his followers (also players). Titles have some advantages like the "Imperial Eye" in which you get a fortress on every home planet and several spy units and some ships and powered infantry for a limited time.

A further feature is the complex logistical modell. There has been 12 different raw materials you are able to mine. If you choose the option, you have to bring these materials with your freighters to a certain building center where they are used. Or you could trade these materials with the guild cities and also with another player.

There is also an alien race, the symbionts. These are critters like in "Alien", but more dangerous. They build organic space ships and fighters to invade the known planets. Sometimes its important to have peace with each other, just to fight together against that pest.

These are just some of the really good features of the game. I and I am sure alot of other people would have a big party if shrapnel could make a sequel of this good but forgotten game or at least a similar game.

Klaus
Old December 22nd, 2002, 05:59 AM

BANNED USER

disabled is on a distinguished road

NULL

[ February 28, 2003, 06:11: Message edited by: Iggiboo ]
Old December 22nd, 2002, 09:47 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you guys have someone in line to replace Richard?
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old December 22nd, 2002, 12:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

Lemmy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Hadrian Tyrael S. Aventine:
Isn't Fading sun in a deal with Matrix Games - a Shrapnel Competitor?
Yes, here's the official matrixgames forum for Noble Armada:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fo...e4a&forumid=50