Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old August 15th, 2008, 06:43 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Official Request Thread

One more request:
one of the things that were really nice in the old forum was the "view all posts" link. It was very useful for the cases when you wanted to store some interesting discussion topic on your machine. I always did so when I found a strategy thread that I thought is really good and important. It's always easier to save a year-old thread locally than to search for it and it allows storing really useful things in one place.
That's why I think, it would be very, very nice if we had that option back.
Old August 15th, 2008, 06:48 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

I second Herode's post.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old August 17th, 2008, 10:17 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette View Post
Okay, I understand what you're asking now. One thing to keep in mind is that the number of posts per page can be adjusted in your User CP. If you go into Edit Options, then Thread Display Options you'll see a menu for Number of Posts to Show per Page. The range is 5 to 50. So if I refer you to what I see as page 4 of a thread, for someone else that may be page 1. That's kind of an aside to point out we need to get in the habit of referring to post numbers rather than thread pages.

If you go to Display Mode, also under Edit Options (or you'll also find it in the black menu bar across the top of the page when viewing the forum home page), try selecting Hybrid Mode. Then at the top you should be able to see Page 1 of 8, etc. Does that do the trick?
Even in non-hybrid mode, you can see the page count in Firefox at least.

From the forum page, just mouse over any "Last Page" link and you'll see an url in the status bar like:
Code:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=40227&page=6
So, 6 pages for that one.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
The Following User Says Thank You to vfb For This Useful Post:
Old August 17th, 2008, 12:28 PM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, you present a persuasive argument...and I can see how that would be a cool feature. We wouldn't want to use standard vBulletin presets, though, which would mean designing these ourselves. Something that labor intensive isn't likely to happen in the near feature, I'm sorry. Cool suggestion, though.
BTW, to add to this, there is another issue with this. The way vbulletin works (which is actually better designed software wise) much of the presentation layer is stripped out of the core application software and stored in the database templates. Because of this most major mods are de-coupled from the application and actually applied through the templating system. So what that means is that for every style you have, which in turn holds literally hundreds of individual templates, you have to modify each template for every modification to the site.

Because of that not only is it a maintenance nightmare from a labor standpoint but it also makes it very easy to forget to apply an update to a mod to one template versus the other.
Old August 17th, 2008, 12:37 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

Could you remove the once a minute cap on PMs? I understand it's in place to prevent spammers from abusing the PM system, but I can't possibly imagine that's a problem in the first place since a spammer would have to go to the work of registering an account and then spamming everyone on the board.

Jazzepi
Old August 17th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Annette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amhazair View Post
This is very, very (very!) minor, but personally I like(d) it when you can see the last pages of a long post displayed on the forum page, instead of only the first few.

As in: Threadname 1,2...7,8 instead of the Threadname 1,2,3... last page, as it is now. (Unless this can be set by personal preference? I couldn't find it, but then, I have been known to be blind on occasion. )
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeast View Post
I was missing that as well, although I agree it's extremely minor. It was nice to see 1,2,3..17 and think "wow! 17 pages!", whereas now there is no indication of the size of the thread.

Anyway, if anyone finds out how to change this, please post and let us know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfb View Post
Even in non-hybrid mode, you can see the page count in Firefox at least.

From the forum page, just mouse over any "Last Page" link and you'll see an url in the status bar like:
Code:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=40227&page=6
So, 6 pages for that one.
Amhazair and llamabeast,

Do these issues adequately address your requests?
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:04 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herode View Post
First of all : thanks to Shrapnel team for the work. I've been trying some of the new V-Bulletin's options these last days and they are cool. As well as the in-process tuning I can see.

My request : when I read a thread, I would like to see at the bottom of each post a small button linking to the top of the page. That's because I'm very lazy and typing Ctrl-Home can really exhaust me to death. Moving the cursor on a near and nice "go to top" button, on the other hand, could save my life.

One alternative : a button / link to the forum hosting the thread I'm reading (in the old forums, you had an 'index' link that was doing this job). This will be ever cooler than the first option because I take the risk of typing Ctrl-Home for the only purpose of clicking afterwards to the forum's link.

I may name my next pretenders Annette, Mindi, Richard and so on if you can handle this
Glad to hear you're beginning to enjoy the new features! I'm going to check with Mindi to see if this possible.
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:09 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ano View Post
One more request:
one of the things that were really nice in the old forum was the "view all posts" link. It was very useful for the cases when you wanted to store some interesting discussion topic on your machine. I always did so when I found a strategy thread that I thought is really good and important. It's always easier to save a year-old thread locally than to search for it and it allows storing really useful things in one place.
That's why I think, it would be very, very nice if we had that option back.
At the top of this page go to "Thread Tool" and select "View Printable Version" form the pull down list. At the top right there's an option to view all posts on one page. You can then either do a save page as a txt file or use your print dialogue to print to pdf file.
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:15 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzepi View Post
Could you remove the once a minute cap on PMs? I understand it's in place to prevent spammers from abusing the PM system, but I can't possibly imagine that's a problem in the first place since a spammer would have to go to the work of registering an account and then spamming everyone on the board.

Jazzepi
I remember seeing this discussed elsewhere but cannot recall the outcome. I'll check into this.
Old August 17th, 2008, 03:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

Herode is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Glad to hear you're beginning to enjoy the new features! I'm going to check with Mindi to see if this possible.
Still playing with the new options and layouts, I eventually found that Forum Jump combo at the bottom of the page.
It was a bit too far from the last post, that's why I didn't noticed it at first. I collapsed the "Quick Reply" and the "Posting Rules" boxes. Now it's OK and I liberaly use it. Thus, the request for an "index" link is no more relevant for me.

Still, a little button at the end of each post linking to the top of the page could be nice