.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old July 28th, 2004, 03:11 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some N00B modding question

Quote:
Originally posted by Agrajag:
Umm...
Hi.
This is my first post in this forum, Im still a newb (newbie, n00b, noob, nub, nab etc.) and Im designing a nice mode.
And in regards to that mod, I have some modding questions:
1. How do I add a ranged weapon?
I suppose Im going to use the #newweapon command but I don't really know all the range weapon paramaters (range, ammunition and precision commands) as well as how you assign a sprite for the projectile (arrow, sling-stone etc.).
There are limits on what you can do with ranged weapons, unfortunately (no way to specify an area-of-effect, or a rate-of-fire, or the ammunition, AFAIK). You can modify an existing weapon, but then that messes up any existing units who use that weapon. As was said, the modding doc lists everything you can do.
Quote:
2. How do I add new themes to my new nation, or how would I add them to an already existing nation?
This should probably include everything I need to do, like how to replace the troops etc.
You'll need to choose a theme to replace, which is close enough to the theme you want, and then replace all of its units which you don't want in your theme. Be careful to only replace unique units, or they will be changed elsewhere in the game. That's pretty limited. Generally though adding a mod with a new type of nation is a lot like adding a new theme, so you just tell it to not have any themes, and replace the main nation, adding units etc.
Quote:
3. How do I add a new pretender to the list (if I can, and I see why I shouldnt be able to).
Create a new unit (or an old one) and then specify which nation it should be available to using the command which limits a pretender to a nation (which currently only works for one nation, despite what the manual says - you'd need to make a copy with a different monster number for each nation you want to be able to use that unit as a pretender).
Quote:
4. How can I choose which pretenders are available to my nation.
Again, check the doc, but I think only with the limiting command, which makes the pretender only available to one nation, so it has big side-effects, which is often not what you want.
Quote:
5. Is there a list of all available sites somewhere?
Almost all of them are listed in an Excel file some noble soul produced, whose name I forget. The file and the creator's name are listed on Arryn's site, and I'm sure on others.
Quote:
6. Is there a modding guide out there that includes all the commands and explains them?
Yes, in your doc directory in your Dom2 installation.
Quote:

Thank you, wether you help me, don't help me or flame me to death.
You're very welcome.

PvK
Old July 28th, 2004, 06:13 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

Well...
I was looking everywhere but where it so obviously should be...
Anyway, thanks to your help and the docs, Ive finally completed my mod, its not a very special or outstanding mod, but its a nice one nonetheless, and filled with original artwork (not that high quality art work though...)
here is a link for it: Download

[ July 28, 2004, 17:14: Message edited by: Agrajag ]
Old July 28th, 2004, 08:15 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well...
Anyway, thanks to your help and the docs, Ive finally completed my mod, its not a very special or outstanding mod, but its a nice one nonetheless, and filled with original artwork (not that high quality art work though...)
very creative idea

that umbarthian gifted and umbarthian gifted commanders are though too strong .
4 20 amor negating attacks per turn , blessable .
so with quickness bless even doubled lol .
22 attack skill .
the bane of every melee sc hehe .
Old July 28th, 2004, 08:21 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally posted by Boron:
quote:
Well...
very creative idea

22 attack skill .

Hehe =P
Maybe I should "Nerf" them then.
I think I should start a new thread of this mod, get some balance criticism (the kind I need most), create a 1.01 Version which everyone likes and then upload it and let the thread sink to oblivion =P
What do you think?
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:13 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Boron:
quote:
Well...
very creative idea

22 attack skill .

Hehe =P
Maybe I should "Nerf" them then.
I think I should start a new thread of this mod, get some balance criticism (the kind I need most), create a 1.01 Version which everyone likes and then upload it and let the thread sink to oblivion =P
What do you think?

yeah good idea .
the 4 armed race is really a creative race .
perhaps you could add 4 arms for all leaders as slots if that is possible ?
cause a nataraja has 4 arms so it is technically possible but i don't know if it is possible as mod command .

i like your mod it is stylish but in the current Version this is by far the strongest nation .
since your umbarthian gifted are national troops i guess playing this against an impossible ai in this special case the ai will be very hard to defeat as a nonundead race .

one umbarthian gifted ( the unit not the leader he is far stronger ) has a real high chance to kill almost every sc .
with quickness blessing they have 8 attack throws in 1 turn .
if they only hit twice they already do twice 20+strengths + 2d6 oe damage so about 100 damage .
even a wyrm combat pretender or something with similiar high hp won't survive against 5-10 of them .
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:08 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Default Some N00B modding question

Umm...
Hi.
This is my first post in this forum, Im still a newb (newbie, n00b, noob, nub, nab etc.) and Im designing a nice mode.
And in regards to that mod, I have some modding questions:
1. How do I add a ranged weapon?
I suppose Im going to use the #newweapon command but I don't really know all the range weapon paramaters (range, ammunition and precision commands) as well as how you assign a sprite for the projectile (arrow, sling-stone etc.).
2. How do I add new themes to my new nation, or how would I add them to an already existing nation?
This should probably include everything I need to do, like how to replace the troops etc.
3. How do I add a new pretender to the list (if I can, and I see why I shouldnt be able to).
4. How can I choose which pretenders are available to my nation.
5. Is there a list of all available sites somewhere?
6. Is there a modding guide out there that includes all the commands and explains them?

Thank you, wether you help me, don't help me or flame me to death.
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:45 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

There is a modding guide in Docs folder under teh directory you saved DomII in if your DomII installation has been updated. It probably is as otherwise there wouldn't be the Mods -folder or option to use mods at all. It has answers for most of your questions. IIRC ranged weapons use the general weapon tags (normally modifying attack, defence etc.) but with different meanings (precision, range...). This is true of some other commands as well. You can add new pretenders, but I think the only way to choose some but not all of those normally available to nation would be to clear the old ones away. I think it is possible, but haven't had the need to check it myself.

If something is not mentioned, it is not possible to do that. Themes are one of the things that cannot be added. You have to work with multiple mods and replace one of the existing nations.

There is a list of sites, their effects and the level needed to find it on an excel file. I know they existed on Sunraybe's site at www.freewebs.com/dominions2 but it is suspended until the end of month. Too much traffic... Arryn's page might have them. Someone noticed that some information wasn't correct, but it should list all the names and most information is right.