.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 22nd, 2003, 09:28 AM

Default Patrolling - How, when, where, who?

As the topic states, I'm trying to get a feel for patrolling. I know it was used extensively in Dom1 and I have found it to be an incredible boost to quite a few races and initial startups. I use it for nearly every race, only a few don't support INITIAL (Home province 1st turn and on) patrolling well (Abysia for example).

My questions; for those in Dom1 and now in Dom2 are:

1.) How often do you set patrolling?

2.) Why do you set your patrolling?

3.) How much initial population do you sacrifice for patrolling?

4.) What % do you set patrolling to; for what timeframe?

5.) Have you ever set patrol to 200% for the inital 5 turns? If so, why, and what were the results?

The obvious points of patrolling are of course, blood hunting provinces, events and general unrest in kingdoms, how do you use patrolling for that, what type of patrol armies, etc.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 04:52 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Patrolling - How, when, where, who?

This is kindof confusing because you seem to be using patrolling to refer to 2 or 3 different things.

I tend to set my defenses to 1, 6, 11, or 21 depending on what is there. This is also affected by what nation it is. Such as Jotun can fight off a Call of wind or wild attack with a defense of 6 where Man should have 11.

I patrol if its a rich province and I want to increase taxes for abit. especially if its something that can make troops of a type I need. So I build and keep inching up the taxes until I have a decent army there. Then I move the army out, turn the taxes back down, start over.

I often crank taxes to 200% for a few turns. Especially at the very beginning of the game until Im ready to swarm out the first time. The hard part is to remember to turn it back down when I move. Im rotten at formulas so I end up just as often having to turn taxes to zero in order to get back my ability to build there.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)