BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old November 28th, 2011, 01:24 PM

Private

RedGuard is on a distinguished road
Default question about campaign...

If I wanna keep my force small, like using half of given points to form up my core army and never use support points. Will AI do the same? or it'll also use half of the points, along with its support points?
Old November 28th, 2011, 01:55 PM

Corporal

EOT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: question about campaign...

Player 2's points will become a ratio of Player 1's expended points depending on the engagement as per help file(not 100% sure). As for the support points I have no idea.
Old November 28th, 2011, 03:49 PM

Sergeant

scJazz is on a distinguished road

From the help file...

The important bit, how much you have left to buy toys with. Player No 2's points depend on what player No 1 spent, and are multiplied or reduced depending on the battle type, if Player 1 is assaulting and spent 2000 points, then Player 2 will have rather less than 2000 buy points when it is his turn to purchase.

Note, even if player 1 selected max points, but only spent 2000 of that, then that 2000 will be the basis of player two's point allocation and not the max points.

Exception, if player 2's points are not set to XXX in the preferences screen he will get the value set for player 2 in the preferences screen regardless of player 1's buy.

The AIs force is always dependent on the size of the players force. If you intentionally use a small force then the AI will have a small force as well. Scaled to the battle type Defend = larger, Assault = smaller, Meeting Engagement = similar. Unless you actually set Player 2s purchase points as it mentions.
The Following User Says Thank You to scJazz For This Useful Post:
Old November 28th, 2011, 04:59 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
along with its support points?
As to if the AI really has a separate number of "main force" and "support" points or just one total number of points ... it is sort of irrelevant.

The AI will always use any/all points it has available.

That said, the number of points the AI has is dependent on the points actually used by the player to purchase their core + support units, modified by the mission.

i.e. the AI will have less support points available if it is defending and more is it is assaulting.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old November 28th, 2011, 11:24 PM

Sergeant

scJazz is on a distinguished road

Everyone has their own preferences in force creation but if you are trying to stay small...

Don't buy Engineers, Scouts, or transports in your Core. All of them are likely to get blown to hell. Buy them with Auxiliary points.
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:03 AM

Captain

Skirmisher is on a distinguished road

Good idea to give the AI MORE points,it's very easy to beat otherwise...
Old November 29th, 2011, 06:21 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Hmm, I wonder if the giving more points to the AI (ie set number of points) works for campaign games too. Never tried it.
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:07 PM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scJazz View Post
Don't buy Engineers, Scouts, or transports in your Core. All of them are likely to get blown to hell. Buy them with Auxiliary points.
Got to agree about the transports. They are very handy for meeting encounters where both sides are advancing, but on many other scenarios they can easily end up just providing extra targets for the enemy.

As for engineers, in WWII campaigns I have found it quite useful to have a platoon of them in the core force. In that environment they can be quite useful for dealing with tanks, bunkers and enemy infantry with their flamethrowers and satchel charges, and if they come with an LMG they can also be used as ordinary infantry when necessary. But once you move into more modern times, engineers tend to become less useful outside actual assault scenarios.

As for scouts, my auxiliary scouts often end up having rather limited life expectancy. However, at times I also tend to take some scouts in my core force and employ them more carefully, thus providing them with a chance to obtain experience (and thus hopefully improving their spotting chances).
Old November 29th, 2011, 02:59 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
Hmm, I wonder if the giving more points to the AI (ie set number of points) works for campaign games too. Never tried it.
No. We keep telling folks that the points (and air strikes) settings (in the preferences) for campaign games make absolutely no difference whatsoever once the campaign is started. Except that the P1 points setting there is the maximum for his possible initial core buy.

User campaigns - points and air strikes are set by the campaign designer, of course.

In a campaign game the AI has (your_cores_value + any_points_you_spent_on_support_troops) * the battle type ratio.

Varying the AI force size is what the AIAdjustpercent INI file variable was introduced for, all the way back in ver 3.0.

Game Guide->Playing a campaign, scroll down to the big box in light green describing it.

Try 125 for a bit of a challenge (125%).

Cheers
Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old November 29th, 2011, 03:04 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I like to have one core engineer squad per infantry company.
They're very useful vs dragons teeth, and in modern battles vs Taliban/Mujahadeen for dealing with IEDs they can be invaluable.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein