Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM

Private

nuNce is on a distinguished road

After some days of yelling at my PC screen for the game not working correctly, I found out how to do it. So I'd like to share with you some tips and suggestions.

First, what I'm using. I'm running the game with wine 1.1.31 under Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala. This last version has solved many problem I had with the previous one. I'm using Windows XP emulation.

Audio glitches

Without changing any settings my audio was choppy and didn't play very well. I tried the Esound driver, but it kept going out of sync with the graphics, so I instead switched to ALSA. I've turned hardware acceleration off (driver emulation) but I kept maximum sound quality.

No audio and no interface issue

This was getting me mad the most. At some point, the audio playback gone mute, and the interface on the right would disappear. You may be lucky enough to get it back just in time for a save, after which the game would freeze and crash. Seems like this is caused by overlapping sounds, due to fast graphics execution. I have solved this by setting the graphics delay to 40 in the launcher, so the game plays at a decent speed (I'd say normal) and my game hasn't crashed since then. Also disabling the mouse click helps a lot.
Help may have come from a registry key I have entered to enable direct access to the soundcard. To do so simply open the terminal and input "wine regedit". Then you must find out the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER//Software//Wine//DirectSound and right click in the right screen. Choose "New/String" name it UseDirectHW, and then as value put y.

Streched window

You may start your game in windowed mode, but then you notice that your gamescreen is short. Your width is right, but the height is 200-300px. This is often caused by using a resolution with a height larger than the actual screen height. Raise your screen's resolution or lower the game's one.

Full CD version launcher not recognized

This applies only to CD version owners!

You launch your game by double clicking the .exe but when you try to access to the enhanced functions they are greyed out (resolution higher than 800*600) or a message tells you they are available only to CD owners. Man! This may get you mad. As simple as it can be you need only to launch the game from terminal with

Quote:
wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Shrapnel Games/The Camo Workshop/WinSPWW2/WW2GameOptions.exe
You can write yourself a bash script to put a Desktop link too. Open a text editor and input the following.

Quote:
#!/bin/bash
cd $HOME'/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Shrapnel Games/The Camo Workshop/WinSPWW2'
WINEDEBUG=-all wine WW2GameOptions.exe
Please check the directory to your game is correct (should be if you didn't change it during install).

Now save the file as winsp and open the terminal. Browse to the directory where you saved the file and digit these commands:

Quote:
chmod +x winsp
sudo cp winsp /usr/bin
Now you can make a link on the desktop by creating a new launcher and assigning it the command winsp.

I hope it helps!

Last edited by nuNce; December 5th, 2009 at 03:30 AM.. Reason: Streched Window issue added