World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old August 17th, 2020, 09:50 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MBT's

I'm "bouncing around" I know, but, just think of it as "Alphabet Soup" for now and in the future. Because the next concerns IRAN and a tank I'll be submitting for the next patch or whenever Andy and Don feel like one is necessary.

Alright some background. Iran received the T-72M which is the export version of the Russian T-72A. I have had numerous discussions in the Threads concerning the fact that the "Big Boys" essentially don't share their toys with their "Friends" for numerous reasons mostly falling under "security" in some manner.

So the next is a perfect example of that. The main differences between the T-72A and T-72M is that, 1) No Composite Armor and 2) It has a lesser FCS also. They (Iran) however upgraded theirs in Russia to the T-72BM which added ERA blocks for a 1.7% increase in protection over the standard T-72M. Also the MG is the 125mm D-1 which will remain unchanged in the latest modification below.

So Iran has upgraded them to the T-72S. What I like about the first ref. is I have 2 pics showing each MBT in a similar angle.

The last four paras of ref 1, breakdown what's new so, starting there. The aspect I'm using is looking at the front of the MBT...

1. MG unchanged as noted above. Ammo I believe is unchanged as well, with 45 total of which 22 are the carousel.

2. RWS is a 12.7mm with optics package not clearly shown in ref 1 but, it's there.

3) It is definitely fitted with a new FCS. I see 2 different mirrors in the "sight housing" note the RED mirror is the LR (On the RS) and the CLEAR for the TI/GSR. It would appear this set up allows for a "hunter killer" mode of operation as well. If the KARRIN(?) is sitting at TI/GSR 45, I would expect the same for this MBT.

4) ERA is definitely of a newer GEN then the current model. If you look at the top picture (New MBT.) notice the ERA Blocks are more "rectangular" then the "box" ones on the bottom picture.

5) You can clearly see the side skirts have new armored plates attached to them and the Slat Armor is protecting the rear engine area.

What's not pointed out...

6) The new MBT has a GPS/Weather Mast extended on the turret center rear, this tells me the FCS is fairly advanced. Both of these have a direct correlation to the FCS performance, i.e. If the FCS knows where you're at that data will enable the system to accurately and faster provide a firing solution to the target. The Weather Mast function will allow the FCS to develop a better firing solution by correcting for windage and humidity etc. that could affect the accuracy of the projectile in hitting the target otherwise.

7) Note the grenade launchers are of a newer type as well. I would think a better self protection version on this MBT.

7a.) Look very closely at the front right of the turret/upper slope/just to the left of the ERA Block, that's a LASER warning system. I'll bet the house on it.
You can just make out the same on left side (Extreme front edge of the turret as well. That'll give it at least a min of 180` protection out to around 230` - 240` warning protection based on the angle they are mounted on the front turret. I'm not seeing any on the rear at this time which of course would indicate a full 360` LASER warning detection capability. The current model doesn't have this as far as I can tell. Of course as it's related to ATGW.

There you have it, it might be operational now, I will need to look further into this and a couple of other issues.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...tle_tanks.html
https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...ttle_tank.html

I'm going to enjoy the rest of my last day day off before you know what starts again with a "newbie" as a partner. I always have to train the new guys, you'd think the Lt. knows what I'm doing, boy, have I got him fooled!!

Whenever! Whatever! Wherever!

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; August 17th, 2020 at 11:57 PM..
Old August 18th, 2020, 01:15 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MBT's

Some pictures that offer a better view
I thought Iran fitted their homemade ERA your saying that has been upgraded again?

Old August 18th, 2020, 02:05 AM

Lieutenant General

Caught me as I was getting ready to call it a night. But yes, that is a newer Gen ERA on that MBT. I feel your pictures shows that more clearly as compared to the current T-72 used by Iran. They still look a little longer top to bottom, or as I described them, more "rectangular" versus "square" which is better than "boxy".

With that being said, I'm not sure if it's the same as being used on the KARRIN (And please relying on memory for the name.) currently which was to have had a newer ERA Pkg. as well. It might be the same, just haven't had the chance to compare the T-72S pictures against it yet, which was one of those issues I eluded to in my last Post.

So again a less then handful of items to check, however, it's a tank I know I can submit for the next Patch as I noted as well. That's the "big deal" for me.

I'm doing the best I can, but, I'm getting tired of chasing dates for tanks in my mind won't see the "light of day" in our game such as the ALTAY (Which the "clock" is still on 0 month of the 18, Turkey expects it'll take to get it fielded once they figure out the engine issues. I've posted on this already.) and ARMATA which the T-90M has possibly killed COVID-19 not withstanding for that or any other outstanding programs we're tracking at the moment.

The F-35 and other Programs are barely managing to stay on track or possibly be canceled (AJAX.). The new WARRIOR upgrade might be another "nail in the AJAX coffin" but we might get resolution on AJAX by Mid/Late Fall of his year.

I don't think for F-35 concerning FOC we're going to get beyond the USMC and Israel having them before 2025. And if we do it's going to very late game wise in 2024/2025 and to me that's a lot of slots for something we're going to get maybe for only a short period of time.

And FOC/Fielding/Fully Operational etc. has always been the "Gold Standard" for the game since I've been involved with it concerning equipment.

I gotta go!

Regards,
Pat

ALSO: Note the spacing between the blocks, the gap is much tighter on the T-72S as compared to the below tank on my last. That greatly increases the efficiency of the ERA blocks which again suggests next GEN. I just had to check that last Post again!?!

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; August 18th, 2020 at 02:17 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old August 18th, 2020, 03:59 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Currently (as best I can determine) the US Navy intends to keep the F-18E/F for the air superiority role (primarily). And use the F-35C as it's attack/strike aircraft.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old September 6th, 2020, 09:22 PM

Lieutenant General

Well my "confusion" on VIRSS and CIWS came up again, however I guessed right and checked the game manual also. So I took a look at the Russian T-72B3/B4 UNIT 697.

Before I get to the "why" of the matter, lets go back I believe 3/or4 years ago. I was working on the B3 when I believe the Russians in the "submission" year moved on to the B4 (So we're talking about a 2 year time span overall.) when Don and I had some on & offline conversations about this tank issue as it concerned the OOB in terms of slots left with equipment that were still being developed at the time (And still now.) that felt we were going to get entered by games end.

The differences were noted with minimal conflicts equipment wise that we settled. We decided in the interest of the game and players to build a hybrid i.e. the T-72B3/B4 UNIT 697. All I can tell you is the AI really likes this tank. I also feel again as before it's one of the best tanks we've gotten into the game since I started this work anyway, because of the process involved and we left nothing out.

But Russia is Russia and therefore they are always "tweaking" their tanks, due to the ARMATA issue.

They added APS to the T-72B3M or if you like, as both are used, the T-72BM/T-72B4. There were some other changes to include a new engine increased armor protection including ERA.

We have already allowed incorporated those changes with our "hybrid" tank as in the game now as noted above. I feel after taking some time looking into this matter I see no reason to change or add a new unit at this time.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...b3m_tanks.html
https://www.armyrecognition.com/russ..._pictures.html

A bonus from my "confusion" research comes from the USMA on one of the reoccurring topics that keeps coming up every couple of years, "On Killing Tanks" a very worth while article that's current from March 23, 2020.
https://mwi.usma.edu/on-killing-tanks/

Well CINCLANTHOME and the Daughters show should be over and as her and the son-in-law (And I actually like him!?! ) are heading back in the morning to Va., I'm going to say have a good night all!?!

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; September 6th, 2020 at 10:46 PM..
Old September 7th, 2020, 12:46 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Ever since the start of WW II (and a bit before in the Spanish Civil War) there has been an on-going "war" between infantry and armor.

One or the other gains an advantage, the other counters it. This isn't going to stop anytime soon, if ever.

The BIG issue (from my prospective) is cost.
A Sherman tank cost $33,000 in 1942, a TOW missile (just the missile) cost $93,640 in 1984. This is one of the reasons we don't see the "classic" Russian horde anymore, it's just to expensive to field large amounts of top tier equipment. This is why many "first world" nations are developing/fielding less expensive armor units to supplement their "top tier" ones.

This creates a bit of a problem for WinSPMBT because it's several hundred (thousand?) "pick lists" do not, and cannot, allow it to effectively generate battles with few "top tier" armor units and multiple "2nd rate" ones. A tank is a tank is a tank to the pick lists. Rarity codes can somewhat alleviate this BUT would require multiple version of the same tank with different rarity codes ... which the vast majority of OOBs just plain don't have room for.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein

Last edited by Suhiir; September 7th, 2020 at 12:53 AM..
Old September 21st, 2020, 09:38 PM

Lieutenant General

The following 2 articles are a carry over from my most recent post in the Fastboat Patch Thread from earlier today. These are not "BS" and please take them on face value and not so much about the main topic but, for the "big picture" as regards mostly to the second article.

These are the latest I can find from official sources...

USMC: At Fort Knox, Company E, 4th Tank Battalion on 24 Aug. 2020 "cased" their colors. As I've already posted from the USMC all the tanks are going back to the ARMY Depot stations to be likely refitted as either to the M1A1 SA/RESET M1A2C (Production of the M1A2 SEP V2 was completed about ~3/4 years ago.) standards. These are the only tanks the USA is fielding at this time (Or about to.).
https://www.army.mil/article/238443/...ation_ceremony

USA:
This is from 8 Sep. 2020 and addresses one of the major hurdles in delaying both the F-35 which is obviously a much more complex "machine" (And still ongoing.) but was also a cause for delay with the M1A2C. Well apparently the USA has reached a "milestone" completion of the onboard "logistics/diagnostics" software and supporting equipment. There's still a way to go, but this is a big step.
https://www.army.mil/article/238848/...lth_monitoring

Concerning TROPHY, like in 2018 with the M1A2 SEP V2, it appears the USA intends to do the same with the M1A2C
by fielding a Combat Brigade/or Regiment with TROPHY first before the rest of those tanks get them at a later date.

Well I'm going to enjoy the rest of my evening off before going back to you know where tomorrow , alright maybe not that bad after August-maybe!?! -yeah maybe!?!

TAKE CARE!!

Regards,
Pat

FORGOT: Don the Japanese MCV-16 is playing like a "champ" in my Long Campaign against Russia. In my first battle, I lost 3 out of 6 but I almost broke even with them achieving 2 kills on the T-72B3/B4. The AI loves buying those tanks!!-OUT.

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; September 22nd, 2020 at 11:29 AM..
Old September 22nd, 2020, 03:52 PM

Corporal

RC4 is on a distinguished road

New Pakistani VT4 (Al-Haider?) delivered to 6th Lancers from 6th Armoured Division
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1308413990922579968
Old September 26th, 2020, 02:33 AM

Lieutenant General

More on APS TROPHY and ABRAMS SEP V2, the following shows our tanks as mentioned in Europe for exercise Defender Europe 2020 which I believe is being held in Hungry. The best part of this we have the pictures to go along with the articles concerning this topic for a change.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...ion_system.html

After about a six month delay due to COVID-19, Thailand has received the last of it's VT-4 tanks along a second batch of ...just read the ref.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...rom_china.html

PLEASE BE SURE YOUR SEATED FOR THE NEXT STORY (I thought I'd never see the day!?!)! Well after over a decade or so, it appears that India and Israel have finally solved the problem with the ARGUN MK-1/ARJUN MK-1A/ARJUN MK 2 MG and LAHAT issues that plagued ARJUN MK-1 so badly it was scrapped for that tank. Part of the fix was achieved by mounting a new/modified MG (Same.) on those other two tanks.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...rjun_tank.html

Finally since some of us still need to work for a living , Poland and how things might be changing. Poland as I've posted, has been trying to be a partner with France and Germany for a "handful" of years in the development of the "Eurotank" which there appears to be no interest in inviting Poland to the "party".

This is possibly jeopardizing the LEOPARD PL. So what's Poland to do!?! Easy get one of the other best tanks in the world the K2. South Korea saw an opening caused by the above situation and has moved fast to fill the void by offering the K2 PL. The model of which was shown recently at MSPO 2020 in Poland. It's getting late but key differences is in the Commanders Sight, improved armor and cage/slat armor around the engine compartment on the K2 PL. Most of the rest you can "gleam" from the article I've posted below.

But wait a minute the LEOPARD PL is the modernization of the current 128 LEOPARD 2A4 tanks Poland has. You are correct! South Korea is offering a totally new platform and the process is proceeding. Something about too many "older" tanks.

I've already started the breakdown between the two K2's but, I will worry about the rest later, until at least a contract and production begins first.
https://www.janes.com/defence-news/n...me-of-covid-19
https://www.armyrecognition.com/mspo...4_version.html
https://www.armyrecognition.com/mspo...lish_army.html
https://www.defensenews.com/global/e...n-battle-tank/

A teaser, what should it be? HMmmm! Somebody is about to receive a very advanced version of the LeCLERC and it's NOT coming from France. Only one other country operates them besides France and they've decided to donate 80 of them to the soon to be third operator of them. Simply the UAE to JORDAN.

That's for next time. I'm out, almost literally.

Good Night/or Morning!

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; September 26th, 2020 at 11:15 AM..
Old September 26th, 2020, 03:21 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Did not see that one coming with Poland