This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Dreamspike Studios > Bronze
Notices

Old January 4th, 2011, 02:38 PM

Private

Bluevoss is on a distinguished road
Default Pretty much going to buy it, but...

I've played the demo and can't speak to the game as of yet - been busy and will probably pick it up when I get the chance.

The one thing I'm worried about are the maps. It seems that every time you play, the maps are the same. I really think the replay value would have been greater if every game, each of the region areas (where the battle takes place) was randomized. After all, its pretty much a matter of placing rivers and swamps based on the area, then throwing some appropriate resources in.

I think that would have made an interesting game stellar. As it stands (and as I understand it), its rather like playing Weird Worlds and having the nebulas always in the same place.
Old January 4th, 2011, 09:07 PM

Corporal

Alexander311 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pretty much going to buy it, but...

Hi Bluevoss. Those are some valid concerns, so let me try to put your mind at ease. Starting positions and what races you are facing drastically affect what each map plays like. In addition, the full game comes with 40+ historical and custom maps. Finally, there are two additional modes: Tournament and Survival, which feature completely randomized maps for even more replay value. Thanks for posting, as I'm sure other gamers had similar concerns.
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:28 PM

Private

Bluevoss is on a distinguished road

Well, I bought it last night and started my first campaign. Love it, but its a little diminished knowing there is no randomization to the campaign maps. Look at how Oasis did it - the maps had the same "flavor" but change from game to game.

I think the game should randomize each region at the start of a campaign but then it should remain that way for every player attempt. After all, its a "region", right?

Also, and I think this has been mentioned before, a reference chart (either included in the docs or online) would be helpful. Yes, I know I can look over and see what each race pays for things, but for beginners, a reference sheet that could be printed out would be invaluable. (Race costs, building types and effects).
Old January 5th, 2011, 04:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevoss View Post
Well, I bought it last night and started my first campaign. Love it, but its a little diminished knowing there is no randomization to the campaign maps. Look at how Oasis did it - the maps had the same "flavor" but change from game to game.

I think the game should randomize each region at the start of a campaign but then it should remain that way for every player attempt. After all, its a "region", right?
One thing to keep in mind though is that the campaigns are carefully plotted out by the developer, so there is a method to the madness. The survival and custom modes allow for pure random maps though (and it is possible to create your own maps if so inclined) so there will be plenty of random action to be had later in the game.
Old January 10th, 2011, 04:50 AM

Private

MikeLemmer is on a distinguished road

Gotta agree; there's something nice about going through all the campaigns and remembering what each map's like. Except it's a tad different, because now you're on the other side of the map, playing a different civilization, attacking different civilizations.