.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old July 27th, 2013, 08:29 PM

Corporal

Miketee10022 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New scenarios "Red Dawn Series"

Old Ironsides is an *excellent* scenario. Very hard to win more than a marginal victory (as the US player) in its original form. I have had fun tweaking this one, where the US Force is augmented with captured enemy weaponry - some anti-tank guns, a few captured (from the Cubans in other battles!) lighter vehicles (BRDM-2's) and a few outdated helicopters to ferry troops around. Add some Piper cubs for spotting, and it's a real slugfest! I set the Abrams to only go after the heavier vehicles and let the missles, Cobras, and AT-guns pick off the lighter APC's. Lastly, I add my favorite piece of game-chrome: motorcycles! Yeah - a couple of local bands of Hell's Angels get into the fray at some point. They give meaning to the phrase: live fast, die young, and make a good looking corpse!

Anyway - thanks again for this amazing series of scenarios!

Last edited by Miketee10022; July 27th, 2013 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: Forgot to mention the scenario being referenced.Spelling and grammar changes.
Old July 30th, 2013, 08:48 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Thought I would try this due to your comments & its a great map feels right for the area & it is the sort of place attack helos might lay in ambush or aid support.
The helos make it easy mind you at least so far, plug the odd gap & watch for avenues of approach letting the you take up positions under cover of smoke. The Abrams at least need flank shots for a kill certainty but I have been fighting behind a smoke screen so far so its not been an issue.

SPOILER ALERT
Moved out fast for first 5 or 6 turns then to combat speed, only shots fired by Russians so far were at my Helos till the planes turned up.
They have routed an Abrams & destroyed 2 APCs with squads on board, apart from that only other casualty is 1 man in a dragon team due to artillery.
Turn 9 now 29 Russian BMPs or tanks burning only 2 squads & a couple of crew in rout from them survive.
Furthest victory flag is 24 hexes away & I can see BTRs heading my way so the dragon teams might finally let off a shot in anger, there are another half a dozen tanks or so still out there that I am aware of.
Time to switch arty from smoke & save the last few smoke rounds for any late surprises.
I think this might be a good one to try as the Russian side, certainly a more cautious advance will be required.
Old July 31st, 2013, 08:01 AM

General

There are a few hidden slopes on the map but great really like it. Going to try a few more of these & revisit this with Pattons replacing the Abrams & an extra 10 turns. Ended up just charging at the the end under smoke cover. Ended on turn 14, lost another couple of men to artillery for a total of 24 dead & had a plane shot down. 391 to 16792 final score
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:43 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
There are a few hidden slopes on the map but great really like it. Going to try a few more of these & revisit this with Pattons replacing the Abrams & an extra 10 turns. Ended up just charging at the the end under smoke cover. Ended on turn 14, lost another couple of men to artillery for a total of 24 dead & had a plane shot down. 391 to 16792 final score
Imp - thanks for the play-by-play. My hat is off to you! Playing a very cautious game, it is hard for me to get that lopsided a victory for the U.S. I tend to get around a 14 or 15 to one ratio - with the score being typically 1100 to 16,500-17,000. My tank losses are almost ALWAYS due to Soviet aircraft - the SU's can do real harm to a sitting Abrams. Again, it sounds like you really know your stuff!
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:22 AM

General

Interestingly its not so hard from the Ruskie side either though keep in mind I have an idea of what to expect. Its due to the AI not being able to take advantage of its strengths while you as a player can. Just fast advanced leaving tanks in key spots where they might possibly be able to fire at max range & turned their smoke dischargers off. I am safe from frontal hits but can destroy anything if I hit it. All Abrams & one M901 destroyed plus both attack helos as I stopped advancing once they turned up. 3 BMPs & 2 T-72 destroyed & one with no tracks.
Wont be a cake walk but minor victory should be do able
Old August 8th, 2013, 03:46 PM

Corporal

Thanks IMP! A really interesting take on the other side of the coin, so to speak. I did a variant on this scenario set in 1990 - with early Apaches, the next generation of M1-Abrams and some better jets on the U.S. side (one of the new-fangled F-117's that the Canadians let us fly from one of their airbases just across the border ) on the U.S. side. And some very nasty Soviet tanks as well - some T-72B's, a few upgraded T-80's, and some BMP-3's. The Soviets managed to bully their way all across the map to get up close and personal with the U.S. infantry. Ultimately, the Abrams ruled the battlefield, but it was actually something of a fight! Still, a decisive U.S. victory in the end.
Old August 21st, 2014, 09:00 AM

Sergeant

Oche is on a distinguished road

"Red Dawn" series - Stand at Coalhurst*

Date: September, 1984*

Battle Location: NW of Lethbridge, Canada*

Battle Type: Defense/Assault, Canada vs. USSR*

Game Lenght: 20 turns

Difficulty: Moderate-Hard

DESCRIPTION: The USSR reinforces with three (3) fresh army groups through the bering strait into Alaska crossing Canada with the aim of linking up with the main Red Army group in the South of the US. Canadian armor and mechanised infantry units are rushed to reinforce defense in Coalhurst as the first wave of the incoming soviet steamroller approaches the City of Lethbridge, Canada.

Notes: If played against the AI the human player should take the Canadian side.

Sources: Fictional scenario inspired by both the 1984 movie "Red Dawn"/ and 1983 "Ten Soldiers" script by Kevin Reynolds.

Design by Jose Logrono
Attached Files
File Type: zip Stand at Coalhurst.zip (103.3 KB, 229 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oche For This Useful Post:
Old August 21st, 2014, 09:02 AM

Sergeant

"Red Dawn" series - Armor battle near Wharton*

Battle Location: Near Wharton, Texas, West of Houston, United States*

Battle Type: Meeting engagement, US vs. Cuba*

Game Lenght: 15 turns

Difficulty: Standard

DESCRIPTION: While the Cuban and Nicaraguan army slowly advance towards Houston, the US Army and National Guard units delay the advance with relative effectiveness. Elements from the 1st Armored Division reserve unit meet advancing elements from Cuban 78th Armored Division and 70th Mechanised Division near Wharton Texas.

Notes: If played against the AI the human player should take the US side.

Sources: Fictional scenario inspired by both the 1984 movie "Red Dawn"/ and 1983 "Ten Soldiers" script by Kevin Reynolds.

Design by Jose Logrono
Attached Files
File Type: zip Armor battle near Wharton.zip (93.3 KB, 231 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oche For This Useful Post:
Old December 4th, 2015, 12:21 AM

Sergeant

"Red Dawn" series - Sweeny's turn*

Battle Location: Sweeny, Texas, United States*

Battle Type: Assault/Defend, Nicaragua vs. US army*

Game Lenght: 30 turns

DESCRIPTION: A well supported Nicaraguan Army Heavy Infantry Batallion is tasked with assaulting the small town of Sweeny, part of the main drive of the Cuban and Nicaraguan armies towards Houston finding stiff resistance from defending US army units.

Notes: If played against the AI the human player should take the Nicaraguan side.

Design by Jose Logrono
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sweeny's turn.zip (114.4 KB, 199 views)
Old December 4th, 2015, 12:25 AM

Sergeant

"Red Dawn" series - Charge near Brazoria*

Battle Location: SW of Brazoria Texas, United States*

Battle Type: Assault/Defend, USSR vs. US army*

Game Lenght: 30 turns

DESCRIPTION: The Soviet 63rd Guards Naval Infantry Regiment supported by a Cuban Infantry Battallion is tasked to assault dug in US force in vicinity SSW near Brazoria Texas.

Notes: If played against the AI the human player should take the Soviet side.

Design by Jose Logrono
Attached Files
File Type: zip Charge near Brazoria.zip (74.5 KB, 222 views)