BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old March 11th, 2020, 01:10 PM

Corporal

Isto is on a distinguished road
Default Tank deck guns

I was introduced this fine idea to improve winspmbt.

One player have a problem to imagine that a tank gunner is firing the deck machine gun when under heavy fire from enemies. In his opinion the gunner goes inside the tank and does not fire with the deck gun.

He represented an idea that a tank would not shoot its deck machine guns if its status is Buttoned.

This would represent the fact that the crew member that shoots the gun goes inside the tank and is not firing.

Do not know how this could be made, or would a new weapon type be needed or would this even be possible. The same goes for any vehicles with a deck type gun.

This might not work game wise, but i put this forth.

Some open topped vehicles have armored plating for gunners, as this have been given thought in the design. Many tanks and so do not have this kind of design, the gunner is wide open. Many jeeps and so lose crew members because of this too, tanks do not even it should be possible if someone from the crew is there to be shot.

Many ww2 tanks also have in built machine guns for this reason that are shot from inside the tank. The game does not make difference between these two type.

This improvement would bring realism, but might not be a good decision in terms of gameplay.

One feature i have been longing for long time is to choose what ammunition tanks use when they fire -> the ammo types would be highlighted to fire or not to fire in the same way as weapons. (turning blue that does not fire)

It is said that the AI chooses the best possible ammo type which is not true. In some cases (matter of distances as SABOT lose their penetration) AI favours SABOT rounds even HEAT would be far more effective to the extent that SABOT cannot penetrate and HEAT would always do so -> AI still chooses SABOT which does not penetrate, i would not.

For example -> Patton against T-72 in a certain distance fails to penetrate because AI chooses SABOT rounds. HEAT rounds would penetrate. Given the possibility to use HEAT rounds manually those T-72 would be reduced to rubble. Now as it is, the Pattons will be destroyed when changing fire even they would have the means to do otherwise.

If this would be possible i would not see it hindering the game play in any way as it does not have to be used and is optional, giving only more control over the units than before. And in some situations, it really is necessary and makes all the difference on winning the battle.

Last edited by Isto; March 11th, 2020 at 01:36 PM..
Old March 11th, 2020, 05:43 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tank deck guns

The game DOES differentiate between guns outside and those inside a tank.
AAMG's cannot fire if the tank is "buttoned" - these MGs are class 4 "Flak". An "Internal" co-axial MG will be class 5 and can fire if tank buttoned up.

I am pretty sure the game DOES choose the most effective ammunition...

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scorpio_rocks For This Useful Post:
Old March 11th, 2020, 06:26 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post

I am pretty sure the game DOES choose the most effective ammunition...

It does and it's not going to change. Players cannot micromanage everything

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old March 11th, 2020, 06:31 PM

Corporal

Isto is on a distinguished road

Would certainly be nice though, for a better gaming experience and more effective use of units.

There is lots of this kind of stuff that are not in original Steel Panthers but have been added to this version.

I can check the specifics later so you can try yourself and see what i mean, the issue really is there. The effect is so devastating it can make you lose battles you would othervise win.

There is a certain distance where M48A5 Patton uses SABOT rounds against T-72 even there would be HEAT rounds left. Results often as destroyed Patton on response. (US vs DDR 78 79 and so)

Last edited by Isto; March 11th, 2020 at 07:02 PM..