Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old April 6th, 2017, 06:48 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: winSPWW2 V10.01 upgrade for 2017

Post a save game. That is the ONLY way we can check anything like this

I am not sure at all what you mean by "capped or otherwise effected by the points in the user generated scenario screen"

........user generated scenario screen ??

I started a Soviet LC and the first battle was a meeter against the Poles. I bought my force started the game, saved it, renamed it to an empty scenario then moved it to the scenario folder and checked it in the editor.

The AI Poles had 5047 points worth of troops and equipment and the Russians had 5059 points worth of troops and equipment.....so about as equal as it's going to get ............BUT I had deliberately tried to force the AI to take 250 points in the preference screen when I first set up the campaign but the game ignored me ( as it should ) and bought an equal force for the AI.....that said SOP should be P2 in a campaign should be set to XXX

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; April 6th, 2017 at 07:24 AM..
Old April 6th, 2017, 08:59 AM

Private

KV7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Post a save game. That is the ONLY way we can check anything like this

I am not sure at all what you mean by "capped or otherwise effected by the points in the user generated scenario screen"

........user generated scenario screen ??

I started a Soviet LC and the first battle was a meeter against the Poles. I bought my force started the game, saved it, renamed it to an empty scenario then moved it to the scenario folder and checked it in the editor.

The AI Poles had 5047 points worth of troops and equipment and the Russians had 5059 points worth of troops and equipment.....so about as equal as it's going to get ............BUT I had deliberately tried to force the AI to take 250 points in the preference screen when I first set up the campaign but the game ignored me ( as it should ) and bought an equal force for the AI.....that said SOP should be P2 in a campaign should be set to XXX

Sorry for the confusion; by 'user generated scenario screen' I meant the 'preferences screen' as this is used to adjust points for user generated battles or in my confusing language 'scenarios' ['not a campaign' or 'single battle'].

My understanding is if AI points are set to 'XXX' the game will determine AI points in a 'battle' by the standard formula (*0.33 AI defend; 0.5 AI delay; . . .*3 AI attack) and changing the points allocation will override the formula, but that in a campaign the points are ALWAYS set by the formula (as adjusted by the 'ai adjust = xxx %') for standard but not long scenarios (unless something changed in one mod and AI adjust now works for the long campaign ?)

What I am saying is that is appears that the points allocation in the preferences screen affected AI points in the campaign, overriding the formula.

This is very bizarre as I have played hundreds of campaign battles and never noticed this occur - although I have noticed that campaigns in WinSPMBT appear to under-spawn the AI (give it comparatively too little points)when my force gets very large, which could be explained by the points in the preferences screen setting an upper limit.

Last edited by KV7; April 6th, 2017 at 09:07 AM..
Old April 6th, 2017, 09:49 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Which is one reason I asked for a save game.

Just telling us you did this and that and saw whatever doesn't mean anything without the save game to back it up.

I'm 7 battles into a Canadian LC and have not seen anything out of the ordinary for AI force numbers based on battle type but that doesn't mean you don't.... it just mean TELLING us doesn't mean anything without SHOWING us and that goes for ANYONE making any type of report like this.....and a screen shot of your preference setting would help too.

We cannot duplicate a test without knowing exactly what the settings were that generated what you consider to be the problem. The game is too complicated with too many interconnecting bits of code to just guess.

As I showed you in the test I ran this morning I TRIED to force the AI to only choose 250 points for the AI in a Soviet LC and it ignored me ( as it should )

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old April 6th, 2017, 10:03 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Whatever you have set for points for player 2, or air strikes for player 1 or 2 in the preferences screen are irrelevant for campaign games.

Player 2 points in a long campaign are based on the value of your core troops plus any points spent on support troops for the current battle. Air strikes are handed out by the internal formula.

Whatever points you have set for player 1 in a campaign is only relevant for your initial purchase in the first battle. And if you do not spend that amount, the surplus points will be ignored as well. So if you had 5000 points as P1 points in preferences and spent just 3000 on your initial core then the first battle would be based on the 3000 points you actually spent (plus any support you buy from support troops points).
Old April 6th, 2017, 12:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV7 View Post
This is very bizarre as I have played hundreds of campaign battles and never noticed this occur - although I have noticed that campaigns in WinSPMBT appear to under-spawn the AI (give it comparatively too little points)when my force gets very large, which could be explained by the points in the preferences screen setting an upper limit.
This will be looked into once we get a save we can study but campaigns we have been a little too lenient with allowing players to purchase..... for MBT especially ( because equipment costs more ) players need to limit themselves to 22,000 points MAXIMUM and that INCLUDES support troops

It's on our " to-do" for next season

Old April 6th, 2017, 06:45 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Exclamation Re: winSPWW2 V10.01 upgrade for 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV7 View Post
I just noticed this, but in the long (and possibly user created) campaign the AI points seem to be not follow the standard formula but be capped or otherwise effected by the points in the user generated scenario screen; of course this is not meant to happen at all.

I just started a Soviet long campaign, the first two battles are meeting engagement and run as normal (although on 100% AI points it is a cakewalk, but still feels like a normal battle).

Then the next battle I was defending with ~3000 points and (with AI points in the scenario screen on the default setting of 4000 points) the AI opponent attacks with what looked like 4000 points (not the 9000 it would usually get), which resulted unsurprisingly in a pathetically easy victory.

I reloaded from the last turn of the previous battle (drawing a defend mission again) but with the AI points turned up to 12 000 (again in the scenario screen) and low and behold a good part of a German armored division appears (looks like 9000 points but I might be wrong).

Next I try reloading again and get a meeting engagement, but now the opponent force is almost the same size as when defending (looked like 12 k points actually, I can count 50 or so Panzer IV; 25 Panzer II; another 20 or so light vehicles etc.) Unsurprisingly this is now pretty tough

I have the latest mod on the CD base version.
I would STILL like to see one of your save games but campaign unit/ points limits have gone into the " gold star to-do list " we have spent too much time adding new features and perhaps not enough on making sure things that have fallen off our radar....like long campaigns....are still working correctly. The code is, ......well....."convoluted" ....at the best of times and something we did someplace else may have had a Rube Goldberg effect where we least expect it.

IDK how many people play Long or generated campaigns but they need to keep their troop strength to no more than 22,000 points MAXIMUM to allow the AI enough points to mount a proper assault but we need to see that save to see if there is anything else needs a tweak to bring it back in line

Don

Old April 6th, 2017, 10:54 PM

Private

Ok I have located the saves; but I cannot seem to attach as .dat is not a valid extension; I suppose I need to zip it or something ?
Old April 6th, 2017, 11:28 PM

Private

Ok here we go;

Turn 21: Human USSR defending against pathetic AI German attack,
(even launching counterattack on the right flank destroying routing German infantry. This is the final turn before victory awarded.

By my calculation the attacking German force should be ~10,000 points, it looks more like ~3500 or so.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SpSv001.zip (266.2 KB, 76 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to KV7 For This Useful Post:
Old April 7th, 2017, 09:13 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Do you by any chance have the save at the end of the last battle before this?

There is a problem we are going to have to look into. The AI was only given 2050 points to your 3597 and sorting out why may take awhile given this does not seem to be a regular occurrence but this gives us a known starting point to start looking

Old April 7th, 2017, 09:30 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Let's try something else......

1) What is your "AI advantage" set to in the misc settings tab of game options?

and

2) what did you set " Difficulty level" too when you started this Long campaign?