.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > SprueGames > Salvo!

Old May 27th, 2005, 12:19 PM

Private

mishagoe is on a distinguished road
Default Cannons Not Firing?

I've played the DEMO 1st tutorial, well tried to anyway, but was unable to get my gun crews to fire, eventhough I believe I was within range by simply maneuvering my ship close to the french ship. The other ship kept firing at me, but mine just sat there, happily taking it all, but did not appear to return fire. Beyond assigning enough crew to man the guns, is there any other command I need to issue to commence firing? Thanks for you help.

p.s. I pre-ordered the game the day it was announced for pre-order(or thereabouts), so am looking forward to the full game, any idea when the game will be available?
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

Andrew Lonon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cannons Not Firing?

Michael:

Hummm... The main reason your ship would not have fired on the enemy would be if the enemy was outside the firing ark or out of range. If you select the ship after it has moved or loaded the guns, you should see a target marker for any vessel that ship can hit. If you do not see the target marker then the ship does not think it can hit the other ship, and you may need to maneuver or turn before you can shoot at the enemy. You can view the firing ark by turning on the ‘Firing ark’ setting to see the approximate ark that your ship is targeting. I say ‘approximate’ because the edges can be a little ambiguous due to ship size settings and other factors. However, if the enemy ship is smack dab in the center of the ark – and you have loaded guns – you should be able to fire.

Please let me know how it goes – but I may not be able to reply as fast as I did today – you got lucky.

Game Availability:
There are several steps to go before you will have the final game in your hands. The first and probably least controllable is totally my responsibility: finishing the code and all support material. This is going very well, but there are still a few things that I need to clear up to make the game better. I do apologize for my tardiness and appreciate your patience -> rest assured that I am busting my you-know-what. Still it takes time to test all the campaigns and.. well I’ll not bore you with that. After Iv done my part I will be handing the ‘Gold’ version of the program to Shrapnel and they will complete the process of final editing and printing the User Guide, duplicate the CDs, create the final package and then ship the buggers out. I don’t know how long that will take, but it is my understanding that they will send out an announcement when Salvo goes ‘Gold’ and that should give you an idea of the ETA for the game to be in your hands.

-------ALSO----------
Sorry for the recent neglect – Iv got two factors running interference on my development and specially my internet time. The first is a house guest sleeping in the old internet room, and the other is a family obligation/vacation. However, things (both) should clear up in next few days and I can get back to cranking on Salvo and these forums.
---------------------

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Ratty