BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:55 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Oh Microsoft bought the hype on this game

So I have an impressionable mind.

I was reading PC Gamer's June issues, nice work Shrapnel , and came acrossed an article about Dungeon Siege by Gass Powered Games.

I liked what the article said, so I check around. Nearly everyone was saying the game rocked. I downloaded the Demo from Gamespot.com and played it. I liked it.

Last night I went to the local store, Fred Meyers, and bought the game. The price tag was a hefty $49.99 and I bocked at paying that kind of money for a game, but finally said 'what the hell' and sprang for it.

I get home, open the box, and pull out the CD. I install the game and run it. (Nice Gas Powered intro, kinda funny to watch.) I set the game up and launch it. "Hey! This isn't the game I just played a demo of!"

Nope, it was the full Version. So here I am playing this new game and I quickly come to realize that the Full Version is less as impressive as the Demo Version. Why you ask, well I don't know why. All I know is that I find playing this game a major pain in the *** because of the control system. God talk about missing the boat. In order to really see whats going on, you have to constantly move the mouse around and almost strain to look. I find that playing this game on the TOP DOWN map screen is the only real way to get around. Oh the graphics are awsome, but the camera movement controls suck big time. I wish there was a way to lock the camera into a good "Diablo View." I find that I enjoyed the story of Bolders Gate and the feel of that game 10X more than Dungeon Siege. Don't get me wrong, Microsoft did a bang up job buying the reviews, I fell for them.

I replayed the demo and discovered that it was vertually the same game as the one I had just bought with one noteable differance, It was easier to control. Why I don't know, it just, for me, simply was.

The game is ok, but a really pain to navigate. I think that this will be the big complaint most will voice. I like the look of the game, and other things as well. The beast of burden is a great idea, but it often gets in the way and ends up as barb ba Q.

The mosters and other heavies are ok. I like that some are bigger than others, and much more dumber than they look.

Ulitmately though, the best way for me to play the game is from the TOP DOWN view, and this takes all the eye candy away reducing the game to some 8 bit Nintendo game.

Take my advice and wait for the cost to come down. Way way way down before buying this game.

Again, hats off to Microsoft on buying its reviews.
Old May 7th, 2002, 08:06 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oh Microsoft bought the hype on this game

There's a subscription to Asheron's Call in that box. Try that for a month, might as well get SOMETHING useful out of it

Phoenix-D

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old May 8th, 2002, 06:04 AM

Second Lieutenant

Gillissie is on a distinguished road

Although I agree that the camera control can be a pain in any 3D game, I have to disagree with Atrocities' overall conclusion. Dungeon Siege does everything right on the interface. If you want to lock the camera in a particular position, you can. There are tons of options to suit the interface to your likings. The only problem with locking the camera is that you may not see a lever or other important items if it is on the backside of a wall. However, the "locked" camera only applies to mouse movement, so you can use the arrow keys to look around, then put it back and continue on. And trust me, you want to look around.

The wierdest thing about Dungeon Siege is the feel of the game during multiplayer. It is totally different than playing single player, and not necessarily in a good way. In Diablo series and Darkstone, the multiplayer had the same feeling of accomplishment as single player mode. In Dungeon Siege, I felt like it was a competition between players to see who could kill the most monsters. For this reason, I actually like playing the single player campaign more than multiplayer.
Old May 10th, 2002, 01:46 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I like the game, and enjoy playing it. I must admit that my two nephews love it. They seem to understand how to control the camera better than I.

I think that if they enjoy it, then it was worth the money. I must admit that the game graphics are wonderous.
Old May 10th, 2002, 03:32 AM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

Hey At. Ever play BG2 or any of the other bioware games?? Like icewind dale ???

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old May 13th, 2002, 08:39 PM

Major

Instar is on a distinguished road

man I love BG2 and ToB
great games
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
Old May 14th, 2002, 12:33 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

No I can say that I have tesco samoa.

Can you tell me a bit about them?
Old May 21st, 2002, 03:19 AM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/bald...e2/index.shtml

go here and read.

The Baldur's gate and Icewind dale are fantastic.

I have been playing BG2 for 100 hours now and I am no were close to finishing it. I hear it takes about 250 hours.

The first one took about 80 hours. The writters are first rate. The NPC's will make you laugh your A%% off.

Evil swords that say. 'You know when the party falls asleep. You and I can .... kill kill kill."
The party members even fight.

You have to check them out. But I must warn you that these games should only be played in the winter. Because you will miss the summer.

You can pick up the first part of BG for about 10 dollars. with the expansion pack. Icewind Dale would be around the same price.

BG2 would be about 30 dollars.

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly