The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old March 31st, 2006, 10:38 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question about fighters and more…

Ok, that's odd, then. Was this a mod?

What you can do, is order your fighters to "form up" on you, which will make them get in front.

Then order them to land one at a time, and steer the ship to help them stick the landing if nessesary
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:43 PM

Brigadier General

President_Elect_Shang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Improving the game (was: fighters and more)

No mod just stock game, I had bought it the day before this happened. I did try issuing other orders then bringing them back in for a landing but they kept lining up instead. I didn’t try ordering them to come in one at a time. At least not all of them just the first two which would only sit there; also I did not try ordering them into another formation then recalling them one at a time. I don’t have that save game, saved over it instead.

On another note is Spyder around and do you know if he will be doing more ships like the Miranda?
Old April 1st, 2006, 01:35 AM

Corporal

Campeador is on a distinguished road

President, about comparing ratios of fire and cost with SE, I do not know, I only played the SE demo once years ago, but I take your word for it. When I mentioned slowing the game speed, is just my preference, the fighters are too fast for me to be able to enjoy the action.
Now to your main concern:
About the fighter just lining up behind your ship is as you said. I have tried many configurations in the past about this but found no solution. Moving or total stop, single fighter or all together, they just line up no mater how many times I tried. The only way that I could get them in was by commanding them to go into formation, and then recalling them, then I stirred the ship toward at least one of them to force them in, just as you mentioned on your first post. Sometimes by forcing at least one the others load in, in other times I had to do the trick with each one. It is definitely a bug. Having the fighters collide with each other or the carrier as they are launched, is definitely another bug, at least they should have some time of damage delay as the mines do as they are launched.
Some of cargo too close to the planet, sometimes you can get close enough to pick it up, in other occasions the ship does hit the planet, yes another bug. By the way, bug that I exploited to simulate starbases be on the surface of the planets touching them, yet no damage. Picking cargo too close to small planets is bad, on the bigger ones is easier, is a radius thing as 'douglas' explained. But yes a bug never the less.
The problems you mentioned are very common on the game, you are not the only one who sees them, so you are not alone, and if you can talk to the big guy and have them fix that would be great!
Old April 1st, 2006, 02:22 AM

Brigadier General

President_Elect_Shang is on a distinguished road

Thanks Campeador, I think if we can get a good list of bugs Aaron will have a reason to put out a good patch; as opposed to one that has only a few minor touch ups.

You should really pick up SE4, it is well worth every cent, provides hours upon hours of play. Each game is diffrent even when playing in stock or with a mod loaded. Tools are pleantyful to help new and old alike not only easily load mods but to create their own mods. And the number of mods out there is nothing to sneeze at! Everything from Star Trek to game balance and so, so much more. If you pick it up you will never put it back down!
Old April 2nd, 2006, 01:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hugh Manatee is on a distinguished road

IIRC the dropped cargo is persisten and sometimes when I leave a system things rearange themselves, leave the system, turn up the speed, go back and see if the planet moved.

EDIT: also, never bothered with fighters or carriers, too slow and not efficient enough. The best abadon cruiser with toxic torpedoes is the best killing machine for my money. with enough point defenses and heavy slots full ofthose anything dies in a few salvos.
Old April 26th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Captain

ZeroAdunn is on a distinguished road

You know, I had suggested a carrier battles mod for Stafury. Start with supersized planets and tiny ships, throw in a lot of wandering fighter groups, replace pirates with beefed up custom fighters, throw in single carriers in enemy systems. Could be fun. Of course, I am to lazy to mod it.