Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old November 5th, 2010, 12:49 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SP with better Graphics?

Hex grids off is a good point makes it look like table top minitures in my view.
Takes a while to get used to but if you stick with it become very good at judging ranges. Its like wearing a watch I suppose if you dont bother stop being reliant on it & become pretty good at judging time but put the watch or hex grid on & brain goes into lazy mode & uses them.
Old November 5th, 2010, 01:05 PM

Private

antonm is on a distinguished road

like cross says, putting hexgrid of gives a better impression and that is how i play the game as well.

as gabeeg mentions still the grafik is far from an eye candy. and right: i did not realize before but i believe gabeeg might be correct: it is not the pixel resolution given the old school feeling, but the number of colors used. can anybody give some insight to his question if there is a 8bit or lower restriction to the hex design?

thanks drg for answering the initial question. to bad all hope for a visual more sophisticated version is lost. - the rest of the game, as mentioned before, is superior to everything comparable on this gaming sector
Old November 5th, 2010, 03:12 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeeg View Post
As for the infantry mods, I have a problem with the small infantry...I do not like spending time hunting when a PBEM turn has taken awhile and I do not exactly recall where everthing is (even with ID tags...since I like mine small). A long time ago someone came up with a larger infantry mod where the helmets are a bit bigger and contrasts a little better with the surroundings. I am pretty sure I found it in an old TOE post...does anybody recall this mods name or author? It may help those that have issue with locating infantry in forest hexes, etc.
Here's some links to infantry mods:

1. These are very realistic (WW2 & MBT) but a bit too large in IMHO:

Download:
http://www.theblitz.org/message_boar....php?tid=52809

2. This SPWW2/MBT infantry mod is not realistic, but shows up well:

Download:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=42984

3. This mod is the same size as the original infantry, but some of them show up better, especially the cavalry:

Download:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=46332

Cross
The Following User Says Thank You to Cross For This Useful Post:
Old November 5th, 2010, 07:36 PM

Private

gabeeg is on a distinguished road

Thats a nice post Cross, thanks. I do not recall seeing those top ones before. I am using the ones in #2 as they show up real well (think it is the shine off the helmets)...but take some getting used to. The third set is from your mod correct? I was tempted to try them but they look the same size as the originals so have thus far have not...they are very, very well done though.
Old November 6th, 2010, 08:56 AM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeeg View Post
Thats a nice post Cross, thanks. I do not recall seeing those top ones before. I am using the ones in #2 as they show up real well (think it is the shine off the helmets)...but take some getting used to. The third set is from your mod correct? I was tempted to try them but they look the same size as the originals so have thus far have not...they are very, very well done though.
Yes, the third set is my infantry icon mod.

They were deliberately designed the same size as the originals, as the mod is only supposed to improve the graphic representation of the infantry, with more realism and variety.

I like small infantry, and think it's especially important with larger sections/squads. I usually have ID Tags/Flags turned on. But use the mini-ID flag mod, so the flags are very small.

I agree that there's often a break-in period where you have to get used to a mod. But try a few, and see what works best for you. In the end it's a personal preference.

Cross
Old November 7th, 2010, 01:44 PM

Corporal

ERISS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by void1984 View Post
The only thing that makes me think of graphics update is the size of fonts and encyclopaedia in high resolution mode.
Yes, in a future patch the display size option should be divided in two size options: One resolution for the battle screen (1028x1024 for me), and one for all the others (purchase, encyclopedia, etc; 640x480 for me).
Old November 7th, 2010, 06:25 PM

Private

Gudadantza is on a distinguished road

I agree with eriss.

I don´t know if different resolutions for menus is the solution, or a redesigned interface for higher resolutions.

I like the graphics as they are.
The thinks to do. My ideas.

-Higher menus and interface (encyclopaedia, editors, scenarios etc...)They are tiny and hard to read.

-Something MUST be done with the minimap. I can (now) live without the menus in full screen. But the minimap is something make me leave the game for months, damages playability.
The maps in this game are bigger than other versions, but the minimap is useless. Hard to see dots (colours) and tiny square showing only a part of the battlefield if the map is big.
The idea should be adding an external full screen map? and make the actual minimap as generic approach with different dot colours?

I would change the Artillery model, I dont like it. I didnt like it in 1997.

But that is another question.

I think that is the most important things the game needs. No 3d, no new engine unless that simple thinks to do are impossible due to the engine limitations.

Greetings!
Old November 7th, 2010, 07:36 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Not much need for a mini-map change IMO.

Better to use the zoom feature.

Zoom out to get a general view of battlefield,click on a unit in a specific area of action, zoom in,repeat as needed.

ID tags can be turned on and off also.
Old November 7th, 2010, 08:21 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

I only use the mini map to get to a further place on the map than I am quickly. Hard to believe someone would walk away from the game because of it. As Gila says, if you really want a quick overview zoom out with the ID tags on

The arty routine is completely different than the original in 1997. Read the Game guide

Don
Old November 7th, 2010, 08:33 PM

Private

Gudadantza is on a distinguished road

To gila:

Of course.
And smaller screen resolutions the solution to small fonts.

Last edited by Gudadantza; November 7th, 2010 at 08:49 PM..