.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 7th, 2007, 12:00 AM

Sergeant

tibbs is on a distinguished road
Default The Vale of Infinite Horror

Increases unrest by 5
Increases Misfortune

Is there hidden benefit that the description doesn't specify?
Old September 7th, 2007, 12:07 AM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Vale of Infinite Horror

Well, it is called the Vale of Infinite Horror after all.

According to Edi's database, no, no other effects. Except a 1% chance that a horror will pop in there for a bite.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:39 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

From my experience any units or commanders have a chance of being horror marked by the magic site while in the province.
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Ive tried to make some use of sites like this (I try to make use of anything in the game which Im told is a major flaw of mine).

What I do is try to leave such a province as the temptation to my area. I super-defend the one behind it. And do things like build a temple in the province with the site, leave it lightly PD'd, etc. That way, I can gain a slight benefit by convincing an invading army to take it, and then stop there for abit waiting for reinforcements.

Its not a great tactic but it was the only one I could come up with. Sites which cause disease work also. Or any province which is likely to cause starvation of a sizeable army.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 7th, 2007, 12:25 PM

Sergeant

tibbs is on a distinguished road

Well, I do like the idea that all sites are not beneficial. Sometimes things are discovered that are best left buried.

Now that I think about it, the effect is active even if it hasn't been discovered.
Old September 7th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

Tiavals is on a distinguished road

Yes, which gives you the advantage that you actually know it causes bad things, so you can avoid placing units there.
Old September 7th, 2007, 03:21 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

Does horror marking really effect non-commander units? Sure, if you happen to be in the very rare battle that somebody is summoning horrors without first horror marking you I suppose the horrors will attack you, but this seems like a very fringe case to worry about. Independent horror attacks only happen on commanders, right? What I'm getting at is it might be worthwhile to put a castle on such a site and man it with commanderless troops. Enemy will have to siege it with obvious consequences. After they've been sieging for a couple turns attack them with some guys casting hell power, summon horror, summon lashimas, etc.

This would work well with undead on one of the disease sites to (they wouldn't even need to be commanderless). Not sure if the effect is worth that much trouble, but if you're using undead anyway...
Old September 7th, 2007, 03:22 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

The 1% figure is the chance of getting horrormarked that every unit checks every turn it spends in the province.
Old September 7th, 2007, 06:35 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

I actually tend to think of horror-marked troops as a potential asset. For instance, given as bodyguards to horror-marked commanders, horrors who attack (either in battle or as personal attack events) won't necessarily ignore the bodyguards, giving the commander more chance to escape or do something useful to the horror.
Old September 7th, 2007, 07:06 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
PvK said:
I actually tend to think of horror-marked troops as a potential asset. For instance, given as bodyguards to horror-marked commanders, horrors who attack (either in battle or as personal attack events) won't necessarily ignore the bodyguards, giving the commander more chance to escape or do something useful to the horror.
Yes, that's why a summoning spell providing 3 or more horror_marked units would definitely be used during many games! Unfortunately at this time only Illwinter can add this summoning spell into the game.
Maybe if we're lucky the Intern for Illwinter will actually add the summoning spell. I've heard she exists yet not much news what she's doing besides possibly adding a new nation.