.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:09 PM

Sergeant

Incabulos is on a distinguished road
Default map concept question

Is it possible to have a single province that connects to all the other provinces on the map?
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:23 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough
Default Re: map concept question

Try it. In principle I should think so, but there might well be some limit. It should only take a couple of minutes to test though.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:29 PM

Sergeant

hmm good point
Will post my results here.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Yes Im pretty sure it is. But keep in mind that its not one-way. All of the provinces would also connect back. And it would cause a major lag in processing depending on how large a map you are planning this for. Not to mention, just picture someone clicking on the province with neighbor arrows turned on.

If you email me with your plans for the map maybe I can offer some alternatives.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:08 PM

Sergeant

good point about the neighbours graphics.

Wellt he idea really is to have a map that had a single province easily accessible from anywhere on the map. I guess this could be done by having portal provinces around the map.

Also I didn't know it had to be two way. I had a fuzzy memory of having to assign a neighbour 'each way' but that memory is clearly faulty .

The idea doesn't work so well with two way travel. ah well.

The idea was having a VP province as above that you had to hold to win. Extend the holding period more than usual and have to constantly stave off assault. was just an idea that popped in my head from the blood game thread. Seems like it won't really work though or wouldn't be all that different from other VP games.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:29 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incabulos View Post
Is it possible to have a single province that connects to all the other provinces on the map?
That depends on how many provinces your map has. There is a limit about how many neighbor connections a province can have, somewhere around 20 or so. Some time long ago, I experimented with this and noticed that this gives rise to strange effects:

Usually, a connection from A to B in the .map file means that there's a connection back from B to A, too. But if B already has it's neighbor table full, then you can still place connections from some other provinces to B, without getting a chance to go back.

So, again, what you want is not possible except for extremely small maps. But one could make a "rumble area" or "king of the hill" kind of map, where there's an inner circle of about 20 provinces, all connected to each other so that their neighbor tables are full, and then you place connections from outside into the inner circle, so that people can send units into there, but you can't send stuff back to the nations' capitals. This would only make sense in some kind of VP setting, obviously.
Emergency comic relief
The Following User Says Thank You to lch For This Useful Post:
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
That depends on how many provinces your map has. There is a limit about how many neighbor connections a province can have, somewhere around 20 or so. Some time long ago, I experimented with this and noticed that this gives rise to strange effects:
Nice. Cant believe I nevr playd with that. But then my messing with maximum maps might have factored in.

Quote:
So, again, what you want is not possible except for extremely small maps. But one could make a "rumble area" or "king of the hill" kind of map, where there's an inner circle of about 20 provinces, all connected to each other so that their neighbor tables are full, and then you place connections from outside into the inner circle, so that people can send units into there, but you can't send stuff back to the nations' capitals. This would only make sense in some kind of VP setting, obviously.
Ineresting scenario concept.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:39 PM

Sergeant

yeah that was the general idea Ich. So a central area of provinces would a way to do it from what you say. I shall give that a whirl and see if I can make predictable one way connections.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:58 PM

Corporal

Maraxus is on a distinguished road

A generic "A may enter to cast " option for magic side modding would be useful. Then, with no restrictions on commander and spell = Astral Travel you would (almost) have a one-way-to-everywhere province.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maraxus View Post
A generic "A may enter to cast " option for magic side modding would be useful. Then, with no restrictions on commander and spell = Astral Travel you would (almost) have a one-way-to-everywhere province.
Good thought. That would also be useful to me in a mod of mine if anyone made it work.