.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old May 6th, 2008, 03:50 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road
Default Modding shortlist

Hello,

Edi's bug shortlist has been very useful to us in the past. Since modding is an area which will get continous support it would be nice to have suggestions organized in an orderly manner.

That way JK might occasionally drop by and think, aha, that sounds easy to add or fix.

Going through the modding wishlist as it is now is not that easy, so the stuff that is added will mostly come from recent posts or JK's imagination.

Is there anyone that feel inclined to do something like this?

Last edited by Edi; August 26th, 2008 at 01:36 AM..
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:31 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Modding shortlist

The biggest problem IME is deciding which suggestions are good enough to be included. There are lots of suggestions; those made by experienced modders are usually pretty feasible as far as we know, those suggested by people new to the game are often more outrageous and possibly more interesting as well.

If anyone feels like doing it, here's what I collected a year ago.
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:38 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure I want to take on that responsibility, though I will if you can't find someone in this thread.

I think any wishlist should be fairly strict in terms of the feasibility and usefulness of requests.
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:26 PM

A good list, even if it isn't updated, would do wonders though. Magic sites with non-capital recruitables? Sprites for custom items, items that cast spells in battle? Allowing range of -1 to let us use ranger?
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:34 PM

Edi is on a distinguished road

I can try to work on compiling something from the modding wishlist, based on Endo's list, which has a lot of good stuff.

If we also use the current wishlist thread as discussion, stuff that has the consensus of experienced modders would be a nobrainer for the list.

#undeadnation command, to enable reanimation and undead ldr based on holy levels ala Broken Empire Ermor and Lanka would be great.
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:51 PM

Hey, someone else volunteer! I feel sorry for Edi. He's already devoting so much time to these forums.
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:14 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

I wish I could manage the shortlist, but my free time is too unstable to volunteer. My current unpredictable workload could have me unavailable for several weeks at a time. Also my modding experience is not as strong as other modders who have created 5 or more nations.
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:40 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

bump because this topic is important

Here are some of suggestions which will hopefully be considered for future modding.

#HMark {NUM_1 thru NUM_14} = Summoned unit has 1 to 14 levels of a horror mark.

*Usage = Any horrormarked pretender would love to summon some guards with horror marks for protection against unknown horror attacks.

#HaltH {NUM_1 thru NUM_10} = Unit has the halt heretic trait ranging from +1 to +10.
*Usage = Counters against sacred units with strong blessings.

#Wither {NUM_1 thru NUM_10} = Unit loses life each game turn eventually leading to death and regeneration will not work during battle or outside of battle. Loss of life ranges from 1 to 10 per turn.
*Usage = Future trait of a powerful SC which can rival the Tartarian

#Affliction {NUM_1 thru NUM_20} = Unit will arrive with specified affliction and NUM_20 is a random affliction.
*Usage = Allowing units created via mods to start with an affliction to add flavor and possible game balance.

#Curse = Unit arrives already cursed.
*Usage = Balance trait for powerfully created creatures.

#Wandering {NUM_1 thru NUM_99} = Unit has this percentage chance of turning independent each turn. Once independent it wanders into unpredictable provinces.
*Usage = Currently only one summon creature can turn independent and wander... we'd like to see more.

#Mercenary = Unit cannot be removed from its commander... the same as mercenary units cannot be removed.
*Usage = Prevents the usual scenario where leaders with magic are stashed into a castle while their units are passed to a different leader/mage.

#Turns {NUM_1 thru NUM_99} = Battlefield spell will only last specified number of turns during battle.
*Usage = Ability to Nerf and Fix battlefield spells which never end if the caster retreats such as Mists of Deception.

#SumSkill {NUM_1 thru NUM_10} = Grants a unit the summoning skill typically used by Ry'leh.
*Usage = Other nations can be modded to summon a being with the summoning skill thus when capturing Ry'leh's capital they can try the void gate or the magic site "strange house in the mist".

#EventMsg "XYZ ABC" = Spell is linked with a message event which is sent to the owner of the targeted province.
*Usage = Any spell which targets an enemy province can explain to the enemy what's happened.

#Delay {NUM_1 thru NUM_10} = Spell results/effect is delayed for X amount of turns. Can be used for battlefield spells or ritual spells.
*Usage = New Spells can have a delayed effect such as a spell called sun flare which may take 4 turns to reach the battlefield. Ritual spells can also have a delayed effect whether it's flames from the sky or summoning independents which attack a distant enemy province.

#Order " ", " ", " " = Summoned commander has these default orders to follow.

*Usage = Currently only very few commanders arrive with default orders such as Bogus and his men.

====
====

Also any improvements for the modding of magic items would be greatly appreciated.

====
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Corporal

Maraxus is on a distinguished road

Interesting points. I guess, the mercenary command might be a bit more difficult, depending on how this is coded exactly.

I totally supported the affliction thing, I missed this allready, too.

What do you mean with "Wither". Exactly as written (which is something new), or the "Can not leave it's home province for too long" as we know it from Naiads, etc?

I still miss the one thing I missed in creature modding from the beginning:

#cold <value> and
#heat <value>
Effect should be obviously: same as #cold and #head but not with the fixed power of 3.

And lately again

#onblessspell "<spell name>" | <spell nbr>
The linked spell will effect the creature when it is blessed. Same as the eagle warrior with fly. Might be difficult to generalise to any spell nbr, if the fly effect is a hardcoded special script.
I wish I had more insight into the source code.
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:49 PM

Corporal

zlefin is on a distinguished road

I'd like to able to mod castles. It'd be nice to be able to create new castle options for various nations. (including the number of arrow towers in a castle)

I'd also like to be able to add castles with special abilities (like how that agarthan cave thingy gives darkness). maybe a #onebattlespell for castles.

also castle related: for nation editing; i'd like to able to edit what that nation gets per arrow tower in its castles. I'd like to make a mod where the castle arrows are a significant force for all nations.