.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 6th, 2012, 09:49 AM

First Lieutenant

mattyburn7 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Power Beyond Comprehension aka "My power is still raising!" newbie game - Recruit

I'd like to jump in as C'Tis
Old March 6th, 2012, 11:56 AM

Corporal

Lung Drago is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Power Beyond Comprehension aka "My power is still raising!" newbie game - Recruit

Now that I think about it, your concerns about the multipliers are actually valid. While I wouldn't look at it like it screws up scaling of scales (it does not, with scales, you simply crank up even more troops from a single fort), what it does in general is speed up the game, especially the early phase. It does have few other noob-friendly quirks about it, for example if you screw up your initial expansion and get owned by independents it's easier and quicker to boot yourself back up.
But as I think about it now, it can have unpleasant effects too. What actually came to my mind and is a good example, are nations that have capitol-only good researchers. A nation than has recruit-anywhere option gets significantly bigger advantage from these multipliers than a nation relying only on it's capitol... This "issue" is of course always there, but a resource/gold multiplier easily makes the gap bigger and out of bounds.
And a very valid point is that usually, multipliers are left on default for most games and that's something we are/need to be accustomed to.

So, changing all multipliers to default values is sensible. If no one has any objections, let's set them on default.

Regarding the magic sites mentioned, to be honest, I copy pasted the settings from our previous game but color me blind, I don't see magic site multiplier changed. I don't recall changing that in the previous game ever, this is supposed to be default.

Also, let me welcome more new players! My current plan is keeping this game open to join 'till Friday or until we reach, say, 18 players, which ever comes first. I enjoy long games with plenty of space to expand, but there are extremes on both sides and a game with 400+ land provinces would be simply insane

Last edited by Lung Drago; March 6th, 2012 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: typo's
Old March 6th, 2012, 01:28 PM

Private

Blubbernaught is on a distinguished road

I'm interested in this one! Been hoping to find an EA game to jump in where being an incompetent n00b isn't an automatic death sentence.

EA Sauromatia is my choice to try this time.
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:16 PM

First Lieutenant

parone is an unknown quantity at this point

if you guys are switching the scales to default, i'd like to get in. but if you don't, that's ok too.

i have never really played EA(well, i have only played 2 games to be honest with you). i have no idea who to take. ok if i get back to you in a day or so(i know a lot will be taken by then, that's ok)
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

krpeters is on a distinguished road

Is there still room for another? A game with this many players ought to be very noob friendly I'd like to jump in as Marveni if it's still open.
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:57 PM

Sergeant

Legendary League is on a distinguished road

Yeah, think I'm going to stick with Helheim. I think my gameplay style is markedly different from it (more like MA Ulm, for example), but it works for me.
Old March 6th, 2012, 08:30 PM

Corporal

megawidget is an unknown quantity at this point

I never played Dominions 3 multiplayer -- and I'm sure I am mediocre at single player -- but I'm somewhat inclined to join, if you need more players. I would also prefer default multipliers and indie strength though.

I don't know which race I'd like to play yet, though I'm leaning towards Yomi assuming they were made to suck less in CBM. But I can just pick one of the remaining races and then complain to everyone about my choice. That's OK right?

If you're full, I'm thinking of trying to organize a complete newbie game for the overflow players and whoever else would be willing join.
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:24 PM

Sergeant

Also, I would move to turn off score graphs. It would make keeping a large spy network (as well as a network of informing play-, I mean, birds) more important.
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:33 PM

Corporal

Lung Drago is on a distinguished road

Actually, if I count well, you may have just taken the 18th spot, megawidget. Congratulations
So many people pouring in I am scratching my head now. I remember when I first started dominions 3 and grew fond of it, I thought "Yet another game no one ever plays." Boy, I was apparently wrong.

Not everyone has a nation picked yet, but I'm OK with it. We have now some breathing space to discuss the map. Since we amount to 18 players, we need a somewhat bigger map indeed. So, what lands shall host our epic carnage?
Cradle of Dominion and Glory of the Gods both seem appealing to me. There's also Westeros, but that map is...unique and would certainly make for an..interesting game indeed. Thoughts?

Oh also I noticed Anaconda didn't post here yet. Since he comes from our previous game and voiced the rematch, it may just be he missed this game. Will PM later this day. It's a possible 1 slot open, though.

EDIT: Regarding score graphs suggestion above: I don't consider graphs off as a newbie friendly option. It sure is more...realistic, but you do have uses for spies even with graphs on. Not to mention llamaserver has it's own graphs anyway, these aren't turned off I think?
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:53 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lung Drago View Post
Not everyone has a nation picked yet, but I'm OK with it. We have now some breathing space to discuss the map. Since we amount to 18 players, we need a somewhat bigger map indeed. So, what lands shall host our epic carnage?
Cradle of Dominion and Glory of the Gods both seem appealing to me. There's also Westeros, but that map is...unique and would certainly make for an..interesting game indeed. Thoughts?
Cradle seems to be too crowded, though it's certainly an option. ~12ish provinces per player definitely sounds like a challenge, though some bless-rush nations will do a good job messing up late game nations if they're map positioned poorly. Orania (with the special sites turned off, via llamaserver), or Glory of the Gods (the MP version) offer much more room for players (though since Orania has much larger fronts, chokepoints are rare: GotG seems to me a happy medium between the two maps). But that's my vote.

Quote:
EDIT: Regarding score graphs suggestion above: I don't consider graphs off as a newbie friendly option. It sure is more...realistic, but you do have uses for spies even with graphs on. Not to mention llamaserver has it's own graphs anyway, these aren't turned off I think?
To the second, they turn off if you turn off score graphs. That's what happened with the BSoD game I've been running (and really, the diplomacy and intel sharing has, thus far, been quite dynamic [at least from what I've experienced). To the first, that's one way of looking at it. Another is that it means players need to interact and communicate more (thus room for more RP!), and it doesn't necessarily punish someone for doing well. I understand entirely of course if you'd prefer to leave it on, it just seems to be more interesting.