Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Opponents Wanted
Notices

Old July 29th, 2009, 12:41 PM

BANNED USER

c_of_red is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for an opponent

We got a hotseat club started here in Memphis back in the mid 90's (about a year or so after SP was officially released) by putting up 3x5 cards out at the local military base (Millington) PX. Not sure what is still left in L.A. as far as military bases. You also might want to check local model or hobby shops. Guys that like to build plastic tanks have at least some interest in MBT's and might have an interest in Combined Arms tactics. Then there is the Math and Chess club at the local University. If you want a really out-of-the -box idea, try going to the public library and putting your 3x5 cards in books on tactics. IIRC that would be the 900 section, if they still use the Dewey system. 934, I think.
Some of the WinSpWW2 scenarios look to be well done enough to be use as history tutorials.
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:07 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

I think you have no takers due to map size. 20 hexes allowing for set up area means first move enter LOS. Pretty much down to luck on deployment whether you hit a few of his guys with most of yours or vica versa.
The Following User Says Thank You to Imp For This Useful Post:
Old July 30th, 2009, 09:24 AM

BANNED USER

A lot of new players think that smaller maps and lower force level make the game less complex. Actually, the reverse is true. Like the combat SP emulates, the victor is the one making the fewest mistakes. The more room and the more units one has the less critical any one mistake is.
When I was doing a lot of training at the Blitz, I would start a newbee off on a 100x100 map with 80 to 120 units for a late 50's early 60's battle.
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:28 PM

General

100x100 is 25 times bigger than his suggested map hence my point. Probably needs to be 30 or 40 to stop it being decided by set up.
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:34 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

I generally prefer smaller battles (purchase points). For maps, anytime I use WinSPMBT I try to go with at least a 60x60 map or larger. With WinSPWW2 I prefer 40x40 or smaller. I also try to use visibility limits to replicate weather and day/night conditions.
Old August 1st, 2009, 05:08 AM

Corporal

Snipey is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the advice guys. Thing is, I had an ORBAT developed and wanted to test it out, I got bored with killing 300 of computer's men and not losing a single one of mine. I set computer stuff to 180% like the guide thingy said.

If it's going to be a larger map, then I might need to change up my ORBAT a bit, because I'd need a more mobile force. Also, I like modern units, because 50's and 60's have less tactics to play with. In terms of units, I also had/have under 20 units.

Also, a smaller ORBAT allows for it to be primarily infantry, which is how most combats are. With more units and more points, and I'm guessing I need more points on a bigger map, at least 500 apiece, so I would have to test that out against computer first, see how it goes.

In addition with a small map, the shooting starts on 2nd/3rd turn, which is how I like it, fast. Otherwise it just turns into an elaborate game of protecting the flags, racing, outmanuevering, etc. Shooting's the fun part :P

I'm not new to wargames, just new to this one, so I thought I'd go small.

Fair enough, would a 500 point ORBAT, with modern units, on a 60x60 map be acceptable? (Modern as in 2009.)

And would I need a CD for it?
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:46 AM

BANNED USER

500 points won't buy a modern MBT. So you will most surely be using infantry. Those won't be very modern infantry, either. As far as playing capture the flag, the not so Intelligent AI (AAI? Artificial Almost Intelligence) and other issues, the BEST way around them is PBEM. That will put the I back into AI ( mostly, I have played a few opponents, who will remain nameless, that just never seemed to get up to speed). It also solves the capture the flag issue as well as the merry-go-round battle. You just agree ahead of time on your objectives, turn the little flaggy things off and have at it.
I got involved with an interesting offshoot a few years back. Greybeard (at the blitz) would pick each players units and assign them objectives as a 3rd party. GB, being a sneaky old _______, would not always assign the same objectives In one game I played my opponents objectives were a bridge over a river. Mine were the hills and town that river went thru. SO it was possible for BOTH of us to "win". In another one, I had to hold a crossroads for a certain number of turns (12? 16? I forget) and my opponent had to exit units off the map, with him getting points for each unit. I lost that one.

So my free advice ( A true value, being worth EXACTLY what you paid for it) is to locate an opponent that is willing to help you experiment.
The game is really great when played against another Human. Best UGOIGO system out there.
Old August 1st, 2009, 01:05 PM

General

For what you want you dont have to go much bigger I am only guessing as not played that small but increasing the width by 5 or 10 would do it. A bit longer to contact but jockeying for position is a key part of any engagement. Of course you could just limit visibility to 4 or so. That should get you a straight fire fight with limited manuevering.

If you look at the battle you originaly suggested 20x20 = 400 hexes so 20 units a side means 10% of them could contain a unit.
50x50 = 2500 hexes you would need 125 units a side for the same coverage.
80x80 = 6400 hexes so you would need 320 a side.

Had to get the calculator out for this one if played on a max size map for your unit density you would need 1600 units a side

Manuevering to find a weak spot is in my view a key part of the game as you rarely have enough forces for adequate cover of the whole battlefield. If your probe meets stiff resistance you need to be able to switch to plan B though time is the other key factor.

On the flags place them on sensible locations in your path like hills crossroads villages not in some field. Do not use shotgun place in 3-5 groups possibly more on a big map. A force normally has several objectives the main one can have the most flags others are secondary.
Old August 1st, 2009, 05:25 PM

Corporal

Snipey is on a distinguished road

With 500 points you can make it modern infantry. Doesn't have to be the best units, just units that are still in use today.

As for flag placement, thank you Imp, great suggestion! I will place flags on the map at key points, having 5 locations, one closer to the side A, the other to side B, and 3 in critical neutral areas. It will be a classic infantry battle.

So to sum it up:

500 point ORBAT
60x60 map
No off-map units
No air

As for visibility will be randonly generated between 40 and 60. Map will be randomly generated.

Also, should I limit the number of turns? Is there any other advice you guys are willing to give me?
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:13 PM

General

Limiting turns is more a big map or assault thing to force a hurry up. As C of Red said can have own rules so if a raid need to do quick before reinforcements turn up from nearby etc.